Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suzuki GSF250V bandit not starting

5 posters

Go down

Suzuki GSF250V bandit not starting Empty Suzuki GSF250V bandit not starting

Post  Owls71 Thu 31 Oct 2013, 6:55 am

bikes not starting again Sad will turn over. plugs have spark. won't fire. have had carbs off and they're super clean (I have cleaned them/taken apart a few times now). I'm wondering if too much fuel is getting through. maybe a float bowl is sticking! have taken plugs out (which are new) and each time I take them out they are wet. if not float then wondering if it's the CDI that controls firing! battery has been charged up and holds charge. I don't really know and can't really afford to be taking it in for repair!! just keep trying to eliminate things one by one, have to rely on the forums for assistance (thanks for help so far) and I'm learning a lot but it's frustrating Sad
fault has been intermittent since I got the bike 3 months ago. I clean carbs out and it's fine for week or two then same problem. this time though it's not wanting to play. when I do manage to get it started it quickly dies and cuts out then doesn't want to start again.
cheers for any help guys
Owls

Owls71

Back to top Go down

Suzuki GSF250V bandit not starting Empty Re: Suzuki GSF250V bandit not starting

Post  kewwig Thu 31 Oct 2013, 8:10 pm

Is there a fuel filter in line somewhere?  I had a Kawasaki do that and fuel tank rust would block it when running, then drop away when the bike was stopped.  It would idle and run well for a while then die unexpectedly.  Can you find a filter?
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Thu 31 Oct 2013, 8:50 pm

I would say float height or sticking needle.  Are all plugs wet?

Also what's the starting procedure you are using? Sounds like way too much fuel. Have you played with anything in the carbs like needle height?

My old gpx was a bitch to start cold. I found it was best to start with no choke, start cranking the bike and slowly add choke. I presume the bandit 250 is rocking a manual choke as well.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Owls71 Thu 31 Oct 2013, 10:30 pm

Ken wig -I have now installed inline fuel filter as I believe I did get some crappy fuel the other week, after doing a 250k ride the bike was running awesome then when I went to start it after work it took a while to start, rode 100m and then chug chug nothing Sad
Since managing to get it home on the back of a ute I've taken carbs off to re clean removed and cleaned plugs (which were new) because I was thinking crappy fuel I installed the inline fuel filter. Managed to start at weekend, had to hold throttle to keep it going but then chug chug and nothing, wouldn't re-start and eventually I flattened the battery!

reddog - all plugs are wet. Starting procedure prob does need reviewing Surprised
I tend to press starter and turn throttle a little to get it going. Normally!
Choke cable is missing so I have to use a cable tie (previous owner must have installed that, didn't notice when I bought bike 3 months ago!) if I use choke and hold choke on that way. Don't really try that much, but will do tomorrow. I've put battery on charge tonight as I think previous attempts at starting hadn't helped battery much (NB I have tried other battery and get same results)

FYI I am 3 months in to biking so apologise if what I'm doing is wrong (welcome all guidance Smile
Mate was helping me to get bike going but think he's not so excited now! He's a bit under the thumb from his mrs lol
Thanks in advance for any and all advice
Owls

Owls71

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:10 pm

could your choke be stuck on ?

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Thu 31 Oct 2013, 11:22 pm

Does it have a fuel tap or a vacuum tap? Does it have a fuel pump? (just asking. The cbr hondas have and they've got carbs) Post some pics of the fuel tap and under the tank.
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  Owls71 Fri 01 Nov 2013, 8:16 am

vacuum tap. checked fuel flows by disconnecting fuel line but keeping vacuum attached. fuel flows nice when I try to start.
will check movement of choke brackets on carb bodies to see if there is anything sticking (I did check visually that slide wa moving ok in all four carbs but will double check external linkage)
will be tomorrow morning when I have another go at everything
cheers for input guys
Owls

Owls71

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down