Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great Alpine Road Tips

+4
Sloth_27
Dekenai
rolls
Chief
8 posters

Go down

Great Alpine Road Tips Empty Great Alpine Road Tips

Post  Chief Fri 26 Jul 2013, 3:06 pm

Hi All,

Just planning a loop of the Great Alpine Rd & would be VERY grateful of any tips from anyone who has done it.

Planning on going sometime in Nov/Dec with some blokes from work. We will have 2 nights/3 Days....

Setting out from Melb & Planning overnights around 1. Bairnsdale  2. Moyhu ????

Any tips on, 1. Must Do roads, 2. Must NOT Do roads, 3. Pubs to stay overnight, 4. Things to look out for, 5.  Is it best going North to South Or South to North

At this stage we are planning leaving home Sat Lunch (We are all working Fri Night),

Home to Bairnsdale = 260 K's (Night 1),
Bairnsdale to Moyhu = 320 K's (Night 2),
Moyhu to Home VIA Mt Buller = 330 k's

Total Klms = 910 Approx

http://www.whereis.com/?id=250B99CF525960&intref=emailmap

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers for any ideas forthcoming!!!!

Back to top Go down

Great Alpine Road Tips Empty Re: Great Alpine Road Tips

Post  rolls Sat 27 Jul 2013, 7:02 am

910km in 3 days?? You must drink a lot.
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sat 27 Jul 2013, 7:15 am

Look out for cops.  Particularly around Omeo and north of Bairnsdale. The run over the Hotham Heights is sublime, massive sweepers.  You can do a loop around Orbost Omeo using the C531 Bogong High Plains Road (provided it is clear of snow, which it will be by then).  Enjoy!

Last edited by Dekenai on Mon 29 Jul 2013, 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloth_27 Sat 27 Jul 2013, 7:12 pm

rolls wrote:910km in 3 days?? You must drink a lot.

It's not exactly highway km's.

The best part of that area for me is the run up to Falls Creek. Nobody around during the off season and relatively good surface.
Sloth_27
Sloth_27

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Sun 28 Jul 2013, 8:56 am

Snow Chains perhaps?
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 28 Jul 2013, 7:04 pm

There are two routes you can take, both bringing you out at Omeo and then Bruthen and Bairnsdale.  
Mt Beauty - Fall Creek - Omeo or Bright - Hotham - Omeo  I prefer the latter as it has a much better road from the top to the Omeo road.  The Falls Creek to Angler's rest is quite narrow and a strange sort of white sealing which looks like loose white gravel and its hard to enjoy because you keep thinking you're gonig to slide off.  But road up to Falls Creek is good (so is the road up to Hotham).  

In the past I've stayed at Bright (the Oriental Boutique hotel but it has since changed its name).  It's well located (2 minutes walk to the pub) and biker friendly.  Great multi-rooms that sleep up to 6.  But it doesn't seem that you'll be staying there.

In any event - have fun.  I'll be doing it in November with Jim.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Sun 28 Jul 2013, 9:47 pm

Chief, ewok, baz and myself plus some others are travelling from merimbula to anglers rest over to bright, then on to jinjellic and then back to merimbula on the 30 nov 1 and 2 of dec so if your riding that same week we migth see you around
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Great Alpine Road Tips Empty Thanks for the suggestions

Post  Chief Wed 31 Jul 2013, 11:10 am

Its up to over 1000 klms now with side runs up Mt Beauty, Mt Buffalo & Mt Buller while we are there. Max of around 400klms/Day is comfortable I reckon.
Dekenai wrote:Look out for cops.  Particularly around Omeo and north of Bairnsdale. The run over the Hotham Heights is sublime, massive sweepers.  You can do a loop around Orbost Omeo using the C531 Bogong High Plains Road (provided it is clear of snow, which it will be by then).  Enjoy!
Cheers Dekenai. Always looking out for the Cash Converters...Over Hotham Heights it is.
Sloth_27 wrote:

It's not exactly highway km's.

The best part of that area for me is the run up to Falls Creek. Nobody around during the off season and relatively good surface.
Falls creek would be C531 that Dekenai is talking about. Might have to take that one next time...
Kaupy1962 wrote:Snow Chains perhaps?
Nov/Dec????
Ewok1958 wrote:There are two routes you can take, both bringing you out at Omeo and then Bruthen and Bairnsdale.  
Mt Beauty - Fall Creek - Omeo or Bright - Hotham - Omeo  I prefer the latter as it has a much better road from the top to the Omeo road.  The Falls Creek to Angler's rest is quite narrow and a strange sort of white sealing which looks like loose white gravel and its hard to enjoy because you keep thinking you're gonig to slide off.  But road up to Falls Creek is good (so is the road up to Hotham).  

In the past I've stayed at Bright (the Oriental Boutique hotel but it has since changed its name).  It's well located (2 minutes walk to the pub) and biker friendly.  Great multi-rooms that sleep up to 6.  But it doesn't seem that you'll be staying there.

In any event - have fun.  I'll be doing it in November with Jim.
Thanks Ewok. Going to do Hotham. Falls Creek next time. May look at Bright for a room. If so, I will look up Oriental.
Jimcoleman wrote:Chief, ewok, baz and myself plus some others are travelling from merimbula to anglers rest over to bright, then on to jinjellic and then back to merimbula on the 30 nov 1 and 2 of dec so if your riding that same week we migth see you around
Wont see you that weekend Jim. Bloody work. I'll probably be going 13-14 Dec??? Not sure yet

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Wed 31 Jul 2013, 11:39 am

Mount buffalo at it finest 

http://vimeo.com/53251647
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Chief Wed 31 Jul 2013, 11:57 am

Fantastic Jim....

Cant wait for it now.

Looks like those other things on two wheels ( the ones with no engine ) are heavy users of the road.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Wed 31 Jul 2013, 12:02 pm

Mount buffalo looked like heart attack hill or a stairway to heaven, try go early morning less traffic, as you can see we had a really clear run, but had heaps of traffic on the way down, i must admit i really gassed it up the mountain and it was awesome but becareful of cyclists on blind corners you know how those guys think they own the road being good payers of rego and insurance as they are
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  stu Wed 31 Jul 2013, 1:55 pm

Jimcoleman wrote:but becareful of cyclists on blind corners you know how those guys think they own the road being good payers of rego and insurance as they are

I know you aren't trying to start something here.... I own and pay rego on one motorcar and two motorbikes, and if anyone wants to make me pay rego on my bicycles I'm going to start shooting.... Shocked

stu

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Wed 31 Jul 2013, 3:16 pm

Sleep easy stu, talking more about bicycle nazis that ride in a group in the middle of the road and won't move.
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  stu Wed 31 Jul 2013, 3:47 pm

Jimcoleman wrote:Sleep easy stu, talking more about bicycle nazis that ride in a group in the middle of the road and won't move.

I will... they kinda get my goat too.... Smile

stu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down