Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battery Charger Connection Plug/Socket

+2
gus
GGiant
6 posters

Go down

Battery Charger Connection Plug/Socket  Empty Battery Charger Connection Plug/Socket

Post  GGiant Sun 23 Jun 2013, 8:42 pm

Wondering if any bandits have a neat plug-in method of trickling the battery - as in long periods of no riding Crying or Very sad

I am trying to organise a Hella type 12v socket (smaller than the ciggy lighter type) on my handlebars but its hard to buy a good Hella /Narva socket that is water resistant and has a boot over the connections at its bottom end. I have a beaut bracket for the socket that fits on the handlebar mounting bolts.

If I eventually get the Hella plug done I could use that as a plug-in for battery charge, but maybe there is a closer connection point to the battery someone has on their Bandit - nice and neat - I could do.

Thanks GG

Back to top Go down

Battery Charger Connection Plug/Socket  Empty Re: Battery Charger Connection Plug/Socket

Post  gus Sun 23 Jun 2013, 8:55 pm

Yep I have one .Positive and negative connection going to a plug .Battery tender leads
have the other plug .Three light, On -Charging-Charged (green )
Had it for years, $5o, Simple and good .
Connection is near battery ,hidden under the side cover .
Park ,plug,forget -charged always 100%
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Battery Charger Connection Plug/Socket  Empty Re: Battery Charger Connection Plug/Socket

Post  GGiant Sun 23 Jun 2013, 9:13 pm

Tks Gus, so there is a special lead I need then, a "tender lead". Sounds all very complete.
Must say I don't know this one. Somehow controls the charge? Mmm I'd better do some research.
Cheers GG

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sun 23 Jun 2013, 10:05 pm

MetrickMetal made up this neat metod of installing the battery terminal lead.  

Battery Charger Connection Plug/Socket  Img_0711
Battery Charger Connection Plug/Socket  Img_0712

Then just plug in the Battery Tender when needed.  Any good battery shop will sell you the trickle charger kit with these leads.  The alligator clips are to connect the charger to a battery for a temporary charging, but you would use the other lead with the eye-let terminals so it is permanently connected. 

Battery Charger Connection Plug/Socket  416-ox10

I had a couple of these chargers (two for cars and one for the bike), so I had three of the alligator clips left over.  If you resolder the wires so that they are reversed (i.e. cut of the red lead and solder this to the black alligator clip and visa versa) what this allows you to do with the newly constructed lead is to plug into your bikes permanent connector and jump start another bike, or connect to an external battery to jump yours without removing the seat - well it seemed like a good idea at the time

As far as a waterproof power outlet I got a pair of these POWERLET sockets from Eastern Beaver (but he no longer stocks them), however Blue Rim  has them.  Just made up a small metal bracket and slipped it under the dash bolt:

Battery Charger Connection Plug/Socket  Powerl11
Battery Charger Connection Plug/Socket  Powerl10

Battery Charger Connection Plug/Socket  Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Wed 26 Jun 2013, 5:30 pm

GG, I have a Brilliant trickle charger. Its a Matson 1.5 amp charger bought a few years ago from the Battery World chain. I took photos of it and the plug that is barely noticable that just pops its head out from under the seat, but the format to host photos on this site has changed and I still can't work out how to do it yet.Mad Anyway, it was about $65 and its unreal. Five minutes to install the plug on the bike, just unscrew the nuts on the terminals, hook over the circular clips and screw the nuts back on. Then just hang the little plug out under the seat and hold in place with a cable tie. You can leave it plugged in for days, weeks, whatever, it cuts in and out as required. I would recommend one to anybody that doesn't have one. Hope this helps, Cheers JTB.
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  SuzySuzuki Wed 26 Jun 2013, 7:52 pm

I think mine is a C-Tec trickle charger,  permanently attached to battery, with the connecter zip tied to the rear of frame, just below the seat release, inconspicuous and safe. Suzy has been on charger for a few weeks now, she's due to have a ride, perhaps hubby will do it for me when he's home.

Carbon Fibre tank pad and fuel cap surround
Puig Race Screen
Ventura rack system
Shorter Exhaust on the WishList
[Battery Charger Connection Plug/Socket  Suzuki10img]https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/[/img]

SuzySuzuki

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:45 pm

I went to a marine shop and bought a stainless cigarette lighter socket with rubber cover and it's mounted in the fairing inner directly to the battery with a 10A fuse. I put a matching plug on the charger so use the socket as a simple charge point
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  GGiant Thu 27 Jun 2013, 9:42 pm

Well thank you very much everyone! This information is such a huge help!! 

Great ideas and true and tried methods.

Really appreciated Smile

Cheers GG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down