Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KAOKO Cruise Control

+3
NTBill
barry_mcki
GGiant
7 posters

Go down

KAOKO Cruise Control Empty KAOKO Cruise Control

Post  GGiant Sat 08 Jun 2013, 8:40 am

Do any bandits have a KAOKO 'cruise control' fitted (not really a cruise control).
I bought one a while ago as it looked compact, neat etc. I'm not so impressed with it, but maybe that's just my not being used to its operation.
While riding it's not easy to get enough pressure on the end of the throttle grip/tube to hold it still and maintain a throttle setting.
Also I'm not so happy with its principle of operation, being to push on the end of the throttle grip which is not really designed to take end thrust.
Anyone have one of these?

Back to top Go down

KAOKO Cruise Control Empty Re: KAOKO Cruise Control

Post  barry_mcki Sat 08 Jun 2013, 11:45 am

Looks to me you lock it on by twisting the bar end weight nut towards you, that would be a natural operation if you are also twisting the throttle on, but could be an interesting exercise in maintaining the speed that you are already at, i.e keeping the throttle steady as you try to engage the lock nut.

The hassle I see with a lot of systems is they could cause a problem in an emergency where you need to brake suddenly, there is that extra step, thought process, hand pressure required to disengage it. Whilst it is easy to say you can over-ride the friction setting and twist the throttle tube, remember you are trying to do this at the same time you are grabing the brake handle, i.e you need to use your palm to twist the throttle shut.

I believe the disengagement of the system should be such that you really don't need to think about it. That is why I went for one of the more expensive units the Breakaway . It uses the general idea of friction to hold the throttle tube, but it has additional components that will alow it to automatically disengage when you grab the brake handle.

Other than the electronic systems I don't know of a true bike cruise control, they also have the advantage of stepped faster/slower settings and automatic disengagment when they sense the brake lights coming on, almost exactly the same as a car.

KAOKO Cruise Control Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  GGiant Sat 08 Jun 2013, 12:52 pm

Exactly Barry, when I'm trying to roll the Kaoko nut on to hold the throttle.....well this is a Bandit! and my speed is all over the place. Not something to try in a stream of highway traffic.
I also find the friction,once set, seems to reduce in a while with vibration etc, so down goes the speed - quickly sometimes.
It is pretty easy to role the throttle off as this action rolls the Kaoko nut off too. But I think, yes, with the throttle set with friction this does add up to another thing to think about in an emergency - agreed.
Thanks Barry Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Sat 08 Jun 2013, 7:13 pm

I've got the Kaoko system on my Beemer F800 and find it tedious to use, and rarely use it... but once its on it is easy to shut down the throttle when required etc. For the bandit I got one of the GO Cruise types, cheap and cheerful and works perfectly for my needs. Can also swap between bikes in seconds.
http://oneup.com.au/product/motorcycle-throttle-cruise-control-go-cruise

Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 10 Jun 2013, 6:09 pm

I ordered one of those Bill after reading your post . So simple and can be moved from bike to bike .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Mon 10 Jun 2013, 9:43 pm

I reckon you'll like the simplicity of it Gus. I find it good on a longer run taking the load off the right wrist or to have a bit of a stretch etc.
I paid about $20 for mine a year and a bit ago. Good to see the price hasn't changed much.

Back to top Go down

Post  stevemcc Mon 10 Jun 2013, 10:21 pm

I got myself the same one. not really happy as it seems to "eat into my hand space". Hey - it works really well though - Maybe I just have fat hands but I was not happy with the original grips on the bandit anyway - which was only made worse when the "GO Cruise Control" was fitted (as per NT Bill's post).

I dunno - when this is fitted, my right wrist just seems to spread out and cover the raised end of the standard grip which then became uncomfortable. But on the other hand, when on a long run it was really nice to set a pace and be able to rest the right hand too. Just it seems my hands are too fat to fit???

I have since got myself some Grip Puppies - makes the grips much easier to hold and that ridge at the end of the bar is cushioned under the puppies - but the cruise doesn't fit any more. Sad

Need a "Tractor (Harley)" size I think now to fit over the Grip Puppy???.
stevemcc
stevemcc

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Tue 11 Jun 2013, 7:16 am

can't you cut the grip puppy down in length?

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:05 am

Ive always thought the standard grips are too small in diam .I fitted a cricket bat handle
cover ($7) (one does both sides).I now refuse to ride without them on , Better grip
and much better diam .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Thu 20 Jun 2013, 10:16 pm

Want to sell it cause ill buy it
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content