Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bandit up grade

+4
Reardo
Ewok1958
reddog
Yarro
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bandit up grade Empty Bandit up grade

Post  Yarro Fri 10 May 2013, 6:04 pm

Hi All

I sold my Bandit 18 months ago but I,m looking to buy a current model GSF1250 to do up with HP up grade and was hoping to replace the suspension as well has any one change the front suspension with a after market or out of a late model sports bike and info would be much appreciated.

Yarro
Yarro
Yarro

Back to top Go down

Bandit up grade Empty Re: Bandit up grade

Post  reddog Fri 10 May 2013, 7:01 pm

@yarro @Dekenai has upgraded to Ohlins front and back. Cheap upgrade is a hayabusa rear shock on ABS models and a GSXR1000 for the non ABS.

Race tech internals help the stock front end too

If you are looking for more hp over the older Bandit you are probably choosing the wrong bike as they are really even just the 1250 has an extra gear.

I would be looking at a Bking or Cb1000r or one of the other bikes with sports bike motors and decent suspension.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Yarro Fri 10 May 2013, 10:39 pm

I have got a quote back for horse power up grade to about 135 with change of cams and some work to the throttle body and new exhaust system.
Thanks for the info on the suspension.

Yarro
Yarro
Yarro

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sat 11 May 2013, 8:14 am

Depends exactly why you want a Bandit in the first place I suppose. There are plenty of bikes off the shelf that produce more hp than you'll get after all the Bandit mods, eg just buy a good condition low kms ZX12 which is cheaper and will have 178hp (and 135 torques). Or if you have more $$, a zx14. Busa? Or the whole crop of sports bikes. Honda were selling brand new Fireblades here in Canberra recently for $16,500 on the road.
But I appreciate you might just want to do it because you like modifying bikes, ie its about the journey, not the end product. So just buying something powerful wouldn't float the boat.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Yarro Sat 11 May 2013, 9:00 am

I have a ZX10R 200hp I just like the bandit and the wife did not mine the ride of the old one was a K9 and it's just a project bike something to muck with.
Yarro
Yarro

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sat 11 May 2013, 9:11 am

Good on ya. Very Happy Enjoy (I failed mechano 101 pale )
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Yarro Sat 11 May 2013, 9:50 am

Yeah just getting all the info at this stage and overall parts cost

Yarro
Yarro
Yarro

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sat 11 May 2013, 1:40 pm

Yarro wrote:I have got a quote back for horsepower upgrade to about 135 with change of cams and some work to the throttle body and new exhaust system.
Thanks for the info on the suspension.

Yarro
Hey Yarro. Who has the cams? Yoshi made cams for the 1250, But now have discontinued them.
I have 130HP with 125nm at the wheel without any internal mods.
I've tried to find info on the Hp gain from cams, But had no luck.

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Sat 11 May 2013, 6:31 pm

Dale Walker has them. www.holeshot.com

And high compression pistons, reflashed ECU and a clutch kit as well as his usual go fast goodies.

kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sat 11 May 2013, 8:59 pm

kewwig wrote:Dale Walker has them. www.holeshot.com

And high compression pistons, reflashed ECU and a clutch kit as well as his usual go fast goodies.

I can't find anything on cams. Can you paste the link for it for me mate?

*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
Reardo
Reardo

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Sat 11 May 2013, 9:06 pm

The whole site just comes up as holeshot.com in the address bar. Go to the home page, and look down the left under Suzuki, then Bandit 650/1250. Click that link and then go to the 3rd header down that page under "Engine Components". Cams are the second heading.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sat 11 May 2013, 9:15 pm

kewwig wrote:The whole site just comes up as holeshot.com in the address bar. Go to the home page, and look down the left under Suzuki, then Bandit 650/1250. Click that link and then go to the 3rd header down that page under "Engine Components". Cams are the second heading.
haha how'd I miss that. Thanks mate.

Reardo
Reardo

Back to top Go down

Post  owned Sat 11 May 2013, 9:22 pm

Which gen ZX10R do you have. Must be a gen 4 if its putting out close to 200 BHP.

I had a 1st gen that was an ex SBK bike and that was putting out about 180 to 190 BHP, but the engine looked nothing like a standard ZX10R engine and there are so many mods that it will fill 2 A4 pages to list them. So I'm keen to hear why you have 200 BHP.

I also have a modded GSF 1250 which I prefur to the ZX10RR I had. Just for the simple reason that I still have a back and wrists left after 20 mins of riding. The 1250 has more low end grunt and in fact had a lot more low end grunt untill I started tuning it. In some ways I prefured the untuned GSF1250 as it would pull from very low revs. Now its been unleashed it acts more like an inline 4, (which it is) so the power comes in a lot higher up the rev range. The GSF 1250 is no ZX10R, as sometimes when everything fell into place just right and the power came in the rush was almost as good as sex. I'm never going to get that with the bandit, but I also won't look like so much of a twat when I get off the bandit as I won't be bending over unable to stand up straight for the first 10 mins.

I also have an SV 650 and love the low end of the V twins. If my Ducati ever goes then I think I will love that for its low end too, although its more of a rev monster than the Jap V twins. I've never ridden a 1000 cc Jap V twin, but think this is where bike heaven could lie for me.

I do love the GSF 1250, as its practical as hell, works everytime, is very comfortable and the handling is good. I'm not sad that I sold the ZX10RR to get the 1250, but I do sometimes miss that hi end rush. If your an all or nothing person then I think a newer Z1000 would give you the hi end rush. If you want pure low down power, then an unmodified GSF 1250, or a larger V twin might rock ya boat.

Delkevic headers : Delkevic 450mm CF silencer (no CAT, no O2 sensor) : Healtech FI Tuner Pro : K&N air filter with airbox lid completely cut off : Wire 23 cut : Seat of the pants fuel trim map
owned
owned

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Sat 11 May 2013, 9:31 pm

Reardo wrote:
kewwig wrote:The whole site just comes up as holeshot.com in the address bar. Go to the home page, and look down the left under Suzuki, then Bandit 650/1250. Click that link and then go to the 3rd header down that page under "Engine Components". Cams are the second heading.

My wife would say you had a boy look. I wouldn't say that of course.....but she would. lol!
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sat 11 May 2013, 9:46 pm

owned wrote:If you want pure low down power, then an unmodified GSF 1250, or a larger V twin might rock ya boat.
Mine was never weak down low, But now it's awesome all the way through the rev range!
What did you do to loss power?

Bandit up grade Scan0011

Reardo
Reardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sat 11 May 2013, 9:56 pm

kewwig wrote:
Reardo wrote:

My wife would say you had a boy look. I wouldn't say that of course.....but she would. lol!

No Evil or Very Mad . There was just so much candy in the candy shop, you can't see it all! Laughing

owned wrote:If you want pure low down power, then an unmodified GSF 1250, or a larger V twin might rock ya boat.
Mine was never weak down low, But now it's awesome all the way through the rev range!
What did you do to loss power?
Have a read of this >>>Link<<<

Bandit up grade Scan0011
Reardo
Reardo

Back to top Go down

Post  owned Sun 12 May 2013, 1:18 pm

@ reardo,

Well I can't confirm that its lost power down low as I've never had a dyno reading taken. But it just felt like there was more pull from as low as 2500 rpm before I did the mod's. You can see what mods I've done by looking in my sig below.

After I did the mod's it felt much more like an inline 4. There is not much power now below 4000 rpm. Above that and its great, it pulls like hell, but I do find I have to change down though the gears sometimes if I want to get some good acceleration going as I have to have engine revs above 4000. I'm ok with the performance now as its so much better in the higher rev ranges, but I do kind of miss that lazy riding stlye where you just open the throttle at any rpm and instantly have power. It might be that the low end performance is the same or slightly better than it was before the mods, maybe there is so much more power now above 4000 rpm that it is making it feel more slugish below 4000 rpm. A dyno before and after would confirm this but where I live thats never going to happen.

So I would say that I've traded some low down power to gain a lot more power higher up in the range. Its a far sawp but I didn't think it I would lose quite as much low end power. I can live with it as in the scheme of things, getting power from as low as 4000 rpm on an inline 4 is still very impressive. The ZX10RR I had and other simular sports bikes I've ridden don't do anything below 8000 to 1000 rpm, and its had work then controlling that much power in lower gears without flipping the bike. Even my V twin Ducati has nothing below 4000 rpm and will almost stall below this point. Don't worry , for the model I have they all run like crap below 4000 rpm, so its not just my one.

Maybe tuning my fuel map on a dyno would bring back some of the low end, but as thats not going to happen I just have to adopt a different riding stlye or go 1 tooth less on the from sprocket. It might also be as I'm running 4 into 1 headers, where as most people opt for 4 into 2 into 1 headers which if I remember correctly do give more low end power.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Delkevic headers : Delkevic 450mm CF silencer (no CAT, no O2 sensor) : Healtech FI Tuner Pro : K&N air filter with airbox lid completely cut off : Wire 23 cut : Seat of the pants fuel trim map
owned
owned

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sun 12 May 2013, 3:07 pm

Reardo wrote:
Hey Yarro. Who has the cams? Yoshi made cams for the 1250, But now have discontinued them.
I have 130HP with 125nm at the wheel without any internal mods.
I've tried to find info on the Hp gain from cams, But had no luck.

Hey Reardo, bought a set of Yoshi's last week from http://japan.webike.net/. Got a message saying that they will ship on 18May, cost was just under $900,

Regards Peter
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sun 12 May 2013, 8:07 pm

Thanks mate. $900 . Is that for the same 7-10hp gain as the DW cams?

Reardo
Reardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Mon 13 May 2013, 7:11 am

Reardo wrote:Thanks mate. $900 . Is that for the same 7-10hp gain as the DW cams?
I'll tell you when I drop them in and re-dyno Smile may be a while, have heard that there can be issues with the case hardening so will need to look for an opportunity to run them in for a couple of thousand k's before the dyno run,
BTW they are Y86000 and you get a Y500 discount coupon when you open an account plus free shipping. Keep an eye on the Yen as I suspect it will be heading back up shortly.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Yarro Mon 13 May 2013, 7:57 am

That's about the same price from the states for the cams still waiting on price from company in VIC on just the kit

Yarro
Yarro
Yarro

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Mon 13 May 2013, 2:16 pm

Yarro wrote:That's about the same price from the states for the cams still waiting on price from company in VIC on just the kit

Yarro
If that's PTR (Phil Tainton Racing) then he quoted about a grand for the cams,
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Yarro Mon 13 May 2013, 2:20 pm

Thats the one
$2600 for the hole package
Yarro
Yarro

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 13 May 2013, 4:26 pm

Wouldn't it be easyer and cheaper to buy a Busa or am I missing the point ?Very Happy:D
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Mon 13 May 2013, 5:21 pm

Dekenai wrote:
Reardo wrote:Thanks mate. $900 . Is that for the same 7-10hp gain as the DW cams?
I'll tell you when I drop them in and re-dyno Smile may be a while, have heard that there can be issues with the case hardening so will need to look for an opportunity to run them in for a couple of thousand k's before the dyno run,
BTW they are Y86000 and you get a Y500 discount coupon when you open an account plus free shipping. Keep an eye on the Yen as I suspect it will be heading back up shortly.
What is the case hardening thing all about?
Can ya run cams in on the same fuel map, Or will it lean out?
Don't wait too long before doing it mate bounce . I've been trying to find a review/info on a Bandit 1250 with cams for years Exclamation Very Happy

gus wrote:Wouldn't it be easyer and cheaper to buy a Busa or am I missing the point ?Very Happy:D
No no NO Gus. B-King with supercharger!!!!! affraid

Reardo
Reardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next