Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Non-Leather Riding Gear suggestions sort

+10
dhula
Cruisecontrol
evel75
rickbandit
Reardo
willo
Dink.1170
Big Al
14 posters

Go down

Non-Leather Riding Gear suggestions sort Empty Non-Leather Riding Gear suggestions sort

Post  1952 Fri 23 Apr 2010, 9:48 pm

If I am not going to buy a full set of leathers, what should I consider? I am not looking to ride in torrential rain or snow, and I would prefer something with brighter colour than Black or Grey. I may not be able to get the particular brands available on the East Coast, but the style and material eqivalents may be available in South Australia. Does anyone shop away from dedicated Motorcycle dealers? Does anyone have a comment or review of Kevlar jeans? All viewpoints will be considered!

Back to top Go down

Non-Leather Riding Gear suggestions sort Empty Non-Leather Riding Gear suggestions sort

Post  Big Al Sat 24 Apr 2010, 7:53 am

HI! I use the Kevlar jeans there great, not that I've had an off with them!
For jackets I'd recommend an all round summer one for SA, (removable liner) Ive got a winter style Bikers Gear one which was cheep at $80 but its too hot for Adelaide particularly if you only ride on nice days. Should get one for less than $300 at local stores.
Having said that I've only had my Dark One since Christmas so time will tell.
Big Al
Big Al

Back to top Go down

Non-Leather Riding Gear suggestions sort Empty Re: Non-Leather Riding Gear suggestions sort

Post  Dink.1170 Sat 24 Apr 2010, 8:15 am

Anothe rvote for Kevlar jeans; although once again, luckily I haven't crashed in them either, take a look at Ixon jackets, seem to have a good range, with brighter designs, and convertability; removable liners mesh panels etc.

Dink

Dink.1170

Back to top Go down

Non-Leather Riding Gear suggestions sort Empty Re: Non-Leather Riding Gear suggestions sort

Post  willo Sat 24 Apr 2010, 8:51 am

Wear what your comfortable in, main thing. The safety gear police will shoot me down here, been riding since early 70is only got my first leather jacket about 6 years ago only ever worn jeans nearly allways worn gloves practical shirt. Lucky I guess had a few offs in that time not two many injurys..
willo
willo

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sat 24 Apr 2010, 9:23 am

Hey Blokes. I use a Rjays jacket with removable liner $140 on special, warm in winter & not to bad in summer "if i keep moving". but i don't ride it when its in the 40's. tho i have worn it home from a over nighter 300km ride (felt like 1000km) with a big hang over in 38c and it was ok. the hangover was the problem. No

What brand of kevler jeans is best? I've been looking at dragon jeans, they look good.
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  rickbandit Sat 24 Apr 2010, 2:50 pm

draggin jeans are the pick of them (kevlar pants) you can get lairy colored camo style if you want some color,and try bikers gear google them they are in cowes phillip island and their gear is good and very well priced.i,ve got both lj and gloves from them and would buy from them again.
rickbandit
rickbandit

Back to top Go down

Non-Leather Riding Gear suggestions sort Empty Good thoughts and advice

Post  1952 Sat 24 Apr 2010, 3:14 pm

Thank you all for the comments - I can see that Dragon/Draggin (?) Kevlar Jeans will be on my shopping list - and a removable liner jacket also sounds good. Might be brave and buy on the Internet - although clothing is one thing that really needs to be well fitting -"Wear what your comfortable in, main thing." [Willo's quote]

Back to top Go down

Post  1836 Sat 24 Apr 2010, 5:38 pm

You can always try-on in the shops and search for the bargains on the internet. My mate just bought a 'Joe Rocket' leather jacket for $110 that retails for $400, just right time/right place. I have a leather and a textile jacket, the textile (cordura) jackets is the jacket I wear for full day rides and trips.....more versatile. The RJay stuff is good value, just look around you'll find something good.

Back to top Go down

Post  evel75 Mon 26 Apr 2010, 8:05 pm

spend the money on a leather jacket. i spent $400 on a jacket 15 years ago. its still in good nick and is very safe.
evel75
evel75

Back to top Go down

Post  Cruisecontrol Mon 26 Apr 2010, 8:52 pm

evel75 wrote:spend the money on a leather jacket. i spent $400 on a jacket 15 years ago. its still in good nick and is very safe.

This.

Everything else is just a compromise.
A little less protection to make it warmer/cooler/waterproof/brighter/lighter/softer etc
The day I buy a textile jacket/pants for my everyday riding is the day after I see them raced in.

Cruisecontrol

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Mon 26 Apr 2010, 9:13 pm

i use these

jackets
this and this
or get something similar that way you are good for full on summer, spring, full on winter and autum

pants
i used draggins but did not like the low rider cut feel. now wear king gee work pants that i have had lined with kevlar panels in more places than draggins or anyone else does. ended up costing a bit less than draggins and are cumfy for me. also have rain over pants that cost 10 bills from local camping store. this sees me good for summer to almost winter for shorter stuff and riding to work
this for winter or longer trips during the slightly colder months

also look at this and this. i can't wear the jackets as i found arms were to short for me when rest fits like a glove. get the arms right and the rest isn't. that's me tho

these guys are local SA and might be able to help you out

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Tue 27 Apr 2010, 11:55 am

What I wear when riding depends on what I'm doing.

On the road I wear leather pants (draggin jeans if it's really hot and I'm only touring) and a textile jacket. I used to wear a leather jacket, but in '04 I had on off (at 60) and the jacket and pants parted company and I copped gravel rash on the exposed skin, since then I've worn a longer textile jacket.

Yes, I've crash tested a textile jacket at 120 and while it was shredded, my skin was still attached to my bones. I don't wear textile pants purely because I find them uncomfortable.

Cruisecontrol, I understand what you're saying about leathers, and agree that nothing protects like dead cow, but, personally, I find a full leather race suit very uncomfortable for the majority of riding I do. If I could afford it, I'd have a full leather suit just for 'playing', but I don't have the money, so I compromise between comfort and protection.

Basically, I'm of the opinion that people should wear what they want and what is comfortable for them. But, if you wear shorts and a T shirt, don't whinge to me about how much gravel rash hurts.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Tue 27 Apr 2010, 12:58 pm

Has any of you guys had an off with the Dragon style jeans and how'd they cope?
Big Al
Big Al

Back to top Go down

Post  Cruisecontrol Tue 27 Apr 2010, 6:42 pm

b12mick wrote:
Cruisecontrol, I understand what you're saying about leathers, and agree that nothing protects like dead cow, but, personally, I find a full leather race suit very uncomfortable for the majority of riding I do. If I could afford it, I'd have a full leather suit just for 'playing', but I don't have the money, so I compromise between comfort and protection.

And that is exactly what I am saying, Mick. It is all one big compromise between comfort and protection.

One of the first things a riding instructor said to me when I was learning to ride was "Dress for the crash, not the ride", thankfully this bit of wisdom stuck. I have endured countless hours being shitfully uncomfortable due to heat/cold/wet because of my pig-headed commitment to those words but the end result of my last crash paid for those hours a million times over.

Cruisecontrol

Back to top Go down

Post  evel75 Tue 27 Apr 2010, 7:10 pm

i pick up an amoured textile jacket with inner thermal waterproof liner this saturday. dri-rider for $200. jeans are good, kevlar better. i'd say you own jeans already like most people.

buy as you can and add to what you initially buy. i am even thinking of adding a back brace at some stage.
evel75
evel75

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey1 Tue 27 Apr 2010, 8:10 pm

I bought myself some Neds Kelly kevlar cargos a couple of months ago.nice and comfy dont know what they be like in a crash but seem to have protection in all the right places. $170 good price
http://nedswear.com.au/
whitey1
whitey1

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Tue 27 Apr 2010, 8:58 pm

I haven't crashed in Kevlar, but a couple of people I know have, and the pants rode up and offered no more protection than denim.

One of the guys I ride with regularly wears moleskin (sp) jeans, and has crashed (at 80) in them and he had no issue from them, they held up quite well.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Non-Leather Riding Gear suggestions sort Empty What HAVE I paid out for so far

Post  1952 Fri 30 Apr 2010, 1:12 am

Thought it only fair to up-date with some pictures of what I wore on my inaugural drive (as distinct as just getting the bike back from Revolution Motorcycles.)

Note that I intend to be a fair-weather rider in the main.

I followed up the suggestion by dhula (thanks!) and went over to TraXion in Fullarton Road. James was helpful, and certainly not 'pushy'. When I tried one of his jackets on it felt really good - so I outlaid $255 (despite my 'good looks' and bargaining prowess he still wanted a 'fair' price!) - and left with an amoured kevlar mesh jacket with inner thermal waterproof liner (removeable for summer): -
Front - apologies that I am the model -Non-Leather Riding Gear suggestions sort Th_FronttraXionkevlarmeshjacketresized
Back -Non-Leather Riding Gear suggestions sort Th_traXionkevlarmeshjacketbackresized

Despite looking at the weather radar before I left, I ended up riding straight into rain - Murphy's law. The jacket proved water and windproof and I really wasn't conscious of it as I concentrated on avoiding wet white lines and other road hazards. pale

My hands stayed dry in my Dririder Velocity gloves:-
Non-Leather Riding Gear suggestions sort Th_DririderVelocityglovesresized

and my feet were comfortable in my Rossi Boots:-
Non-Leather Riding Gear suggestions sort Th_RossiBootsresized

[ Yes -the light weight camourflage pants were the glaring weak spot - but I will try and get some kevlar jeans - soon.]
P.S. The jacket is much lighter than the leather jackets I looked at, but stll very well put together, and has reflective beading and badges for extra safety at night. Certainly a whole lot better than the orange K-Mart ski jacket and rain pants I used many years ago.

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Fri 30 Apr 2010, 12:31 pm

Your all set then, off to the hills with you to work up that first service!
Was a time I had about the only dark one around but they've sold a stack of em now!
Ill have to get cracking on personalizing mine!LOL Enjoy! Very Happy
Big Al
Big Al

Back to top Go down

Post  2010banditsa Fri 30 Apr 2010, 6:37 pm

hey where did you grab the rossi boots from?
2010banditsa
2010banditsa

Back to top Go down

Non-Leather Riding Gear suggestions sort Empty Rossi Boots

Post  1952 Mon 03 May 2010, 8:02 pm

Non-Leather Riding Gear suggestions sort Th_RossiBoots2resized

I like these boots because of their 'Gel' inner that softens the pounding when I'm off the bike and also because they were comfortable as soon as I put them on. I got them at the other half of Revolution Motorcycles - called 'Yamaha World' 855 South Road Clarence Garden SA 5039 (according to the receipt), and cost $227.

Back to top Go down

Non-Leather Riding Gear suggestions sort Empty Non leather

Post  banditman Wed 26 May 2010, 6:56 pm

Do yourself the biggest favour and buy leathers. The random fibres resist tearing from any force form any direction. textiles will tear as the fibres run in two directions only. You will only buy leathers once cause they will last forever. Look at Collins leather on Ebay. Double and triple stitched on seams. Built in protectors on prominent areas. best thing I ever did.

regards

banditman

banditman

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Thu 27 May 2010, 2:21 pm

banditman wrote:You will only buy leathers once cause they will last forever.

I agree with part of that statement, leathers will last forever. But with age (yours), leather seems to shrink. Laughing
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  banditman Sat 29 May 2010, 10:48 am

HaHa
That's why I stay overweight - To keep those leathers streched and roomy!!
Regards
banditman

banditman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down