Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best solution for functional rear shock replacement ?

+5
Dekenai
gus
reddog
Hammy
ilRazzo
9 posters

Go down

Best solution for  functional rear shock replacement ? Empty Best solution for functional rear shock replacement ?

Post  ilRazzo Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:00 am

Hi All,

My 2009 Bandit has now passed the 30,000km and the rear shock is gone, gone, gone. Money is an issue here, so does anyone have a good suggestion for a functioning replacement that will not break the bank? My bike has the ABS, so that may limit my options for using other Suzuki model's shocks?

The bike is mainly used as a commuter, plus the odd weekend blast and a rally or two.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

ilRazzo

Back to top Go down

Best solution for  functional rear shock replacement ? Empty Re: Best solution for functional rear shock replacement ?

Post  Hammy Tue 04 Dec 2012, 2:51 pm

Hi Brad. I replaced the standard rear shock on my '06 1200, with a GSXR1000 shock that I got from the states. Could not have been happier with the result for the money spent. The shock cost $160 landed. A bset of new dogbones. The only prob I could see maybe the box that the ABS unit sits in.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Best solution for  functional rear shock replacement ? Empty Re: Best solution for functional rear shock replacement ?

Post  reddog Tue 04 Dec 2012, 3:03 pm

Yep been there done that. The GSXR shock will not fit as the gas reservoir won't clear the ABS unit.

Cheapest option woudl be to pick up a second hand unit off a Bandit. Maybe one of the guys on here has upgraded and is willing to part with it.

I know a mate replaced his OEM shock with a rebuildable Ohlins unit. Cost from memory was around $600 ish landed from the states. His OEM also died fairly prematurely, I've done 33000 and the stock shock seems good so far touch wood.

When you do replace the shock make sure you grease up the linkage prior to re-assembling. Mr Suzuki was a tight arse applying grease
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 04 Dec 2012, 3:46 pm

How about you get the "old" shock serviced. I did to my aprila shock and it made a great differance ,cost $170 from memory .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Tue 04 Dec 2012, 5:38 pm

Not sure I have ever heard of anyone rebuilding an OEM 1250 shock, some 'non-rebuidlable' shocks are more non-rebuildable than others. Cheapest replacement I have seen is a Hagon, a couple of guys have them on eBay for around $500 delivered ex UK. I have a OEM shock off a 1250SA with about 5000 kms on it, I suppose its worth $100 bucks, dunno. Best would be if someone has one they will part with for less.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Tue 04 Dec 2012, 9:02 pm

my rear was re-jigged at racetech with new valves and oil when i had the front done - i didnt think you could do it either

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Tue 04 Dec 2012, 11:06 pm

Ikon list rear shocks for gsf 600 bandit but not sure about 1250
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Wed 05 Dec 2012, 8:47 am

Yes they are rebuildable. Is that a word ?
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurch Wed 05 Dec 2012, 11:56 am

it is now Smile

Can someone give me some quick pointers on the GSXR shock idea? (sorry to hijack)

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Wed 05 Dec 2012, 3:05 pm

Lurch FYI. All you need to do is buy an 07 GSXR1000 rear shock and fit it. It's that simple on non ABS bandits. Your ride height changes a little, which can be corrected with different dog bones as I believe it raises the rear 10-15mm. It'll make the bike turn in better so no big drama anyhow
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurch Wed 05 Dec 2012, 3:30 pm

reddog wrote:Lurch FYI. All you need to do is buy an 07 GSXR1000 rear shock and fit it. It's that simple on non ABS bandits. Your ride height changes a little, which can be corrected with different dog bones as I believe it raises the rear 10-15mm. It'll make the bike turn in better so no big drama anyhow

Awesome - thanks mate

Back to top Go down

Post  ilRazzo Wed 05 Dec 2012, 5:08 pm

Thanks all for the replies. Gives me something to think about, although it seems that I need to rob a bank or something. Twisted Evil I am now limiting myself to commutes only as it clunks bad enough on Sydney roads.
Of all the years for santa to be all out of ready dosh!

If you do hear of anyone who replaced their OEM shock early to upgrade their suspension and wanna sell off the old one, please lemme know.

~ Brad

ilRazzo

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Wed 05 Dec 2012, 10:12 pm

I'll be saving my pennies and fitting a Nitron with hydraulic preload adjuster when my OEM shock lets go.

They look and sound like a good thing

http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Nitron_Shock_Absorbers_for_Suzuki_Motorcycles.html#aNTSPTSUZ
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Thu 06 Dec 2012, 12:18 pm

I run an Ohlins with remote preload, When it dropped its lunch, Race bike services rebuilt it in minutes for less than $100. They might be a bit rich to buy, but cheap to maintain and they are the ducks guts in my book. This is the 4th bike of mine the shock has been in Rolling Eyes. Well worth the dosh I think...

PCV AND AUTO TUNE
SECONDARIES REMOVED
MINI INDICATORS
THROTTLE LOCK
OHLINS SHOCK

1990 GSXR750AL
1973 XL100
1973 XL70
1971 SL70
Hyosung rush powered barstool
chinese 50cc powered barstool
Rick
Rick

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurch Thu 06 Dec 2012, 2:48 pm

reddog wrote:Lurch FYI. All you need to do is buy an 07 GSXR1000 rear shock and fit it. It's that simple on non ABS bandits. Your ride height changes a little, which can be corrected with different dog bones as I believe it raises the rear 10-15mm. It'll make the bike turn in better so no big drama anyhow

This?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OEM-REAR-SHOCK-07-08-GSXR1000-NICE-GSXR-1000-back-cushion-lever-stock-/280893386804?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41668cf034

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Thu 06 Dec 2012, 3:27 pm

Thats it Lurch. My mate actually brought mine off me, but it won't fit his gen 1 Bandit 1200 without modification. If you want one I will have a chat and see what it's worth for him to let it go. PM me with your details if you like and we can get a postage cost etc.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Thu 06 Dec 2012, 3:56 pm

Lurch wrote:

This?
[url=http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OEM-REAR-SHOCK-07-08-GSXR1000-NICE-GSXR-1000-back-cushion-lever-stock-/280893386804?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41668cf034
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OEM-REAR-SHOCK-07-08-GSXR1000-NICE-GSXR-1000-back-cushion-lever-stock-/280893386804?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41668cf034[/quote[/url]]

Thats the mob I got mine off. Great stuff. I went with new dog bones ( 1" lowering ) as the rear wheel will hiy the ground on the centre stand.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down