Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyre Repair Kit

+7
SuzySuzuki
ThatOtherGuy
sb1250
NTBill
madmax
Hammy
Ewok1958
11 posters

Go down

Tyre Repair Kit Empty Tyre Repair Kit

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 26 Nov 2012, 1:11 pm

As I posted elsewhere, I had to use the tyre repair kit for the first time yesterday on a rear tyre puncture so I thought I might do a short report. The components are shown in the photo.

Tyre Repair Kit Img_1513

Things seemed to work well. It was difficult to thread the repair plug through the insertion tool but the multi-tool pliers soon fixed that (they weren't part of the repair kit). No need to take the tyre off the bike but I did put it on the centrestand and put it in first gear. Removed the offending stone/glass. Checked that the tyre was actually leaking (spit is good). Used the rasp tool to enlarge and smooth the hole. Inserted the plug - this required quite a bit of force, as much as needed for a car tyre. I was worried about pushing the bike off the centrestand. I ended up letting all of the air out of the tyre to make it insert easier. Left it 5 minutes to seal and dry and then screwed a cylinder to the adapter. Used the rag to hold the CO2 cylinder and applied the adapter to the valve until the cylinder was empty. This also causes the cylinder to ice up so using gloves or a rag to hold it is essential unless you want your skin stuck to the cylinder! Tested again for leaks - none, good. Now the important useful piece of info - the full cylinder gave me 27psi pressure in the rear tyre which is slightly less than the rated figure for one cylinder (of 32psi). I could have used a 2nd cylinder to get the full 42psi but rode 1.5kms to the servo instead and used their air hose to fully inflate, after first slicing off the protruding plug ends using the blade on the multi tool. I usually carry 4 cylinders as I hadn't idea what was the 'right' number.

It was a useful experience but one I don't want to repeat too often - fingers crossed.Smile Hope that is useful for others carrying this type of kit.

Last edited by Ewok1958 on Mon 26 Nov 2012, 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Tyre Repair Kit Empty Re: Tyre Repair Kit

Post  Hammy Mon 26 Nov 2012, 1:37 pm

Well done Ewok. I have a kit that I have not had to use ( touch wood ) yet. Thought I might have had to last week when I rode into the city with my boss . He was on his Harley, going in to look at a new one. I got to a set of lights and could not see him behind me. Went back to look and there he was on the side of the road with a rear flate. We found the hole. But more of a cut. Could not fix on side of road. Got a bike towie. He had picked up a Stanley knife blade and it had sliced open the tyre. The mechanic came out and showed us. Still in one piece. Unreal. Makes you wonder how on earth could it goet into the tyre so perfectly. ps. The multi tool idea is a good one. Will put one in my tool kit.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 26 Nov 2012, 1:42 pm

Your kit is basically the same as mine. Good to know it worked out ok.

Note to self, must add multi tool to kit.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  NTBill Mon 26 Nov 2012, 10:55 pm

I've used similar kit twice, but both times the nearest servo / shop / phone signal was about 150kms away (so that's always good incentive to read the instructions carefully....and make it work). Both times tyre was completely deflated ( one was a nail, other a Tek screw).

I carry a pair of long nose pliers to help dig out whatever made the hole. I carry a kit with me everywhere I go including the daily commute. These kits are a no brainier to carry with the bike I reckon.

Back to top Go down

Post  sb1250 Tue 27 Nov 2012, 6:58 am

I carry my kit under the seat with the factory tool bag. I removed the round damping knob thingies (as per Gus' instructions) and both items fit well under there. Ive only used my repair kit once, and wasnt that successfull Sad. The plug was those long cords. It was enough to get me from Whitfield to Myrtleford to get the repair done properly.

Mods included...
Home made rad guard
IXIL muffler
Pro-oiler
stebel nautilus compact horn
Xenon 55w 4300k HID (low beam only)
Ventura Rack
Did have Bandit Mania "Chin" spoiler (belly pan) RIP... Sad 
Barkbuster Storm hand guards
Removed rubber dampers from tool kit area - Gus' idea
sb1250
sb1250

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatOtherGuy Tue 27 Nov 2012, 7:59 am

just be aware the CO2 will leak out of your tyre faster than "normal" air. the CO2 is a best used as get you home fix than a permanent the tyre will stay up fix. CO2 molecules are actually smaller and when you have a greater concentration of them in your tyre as you do now, they will leak out. I would deflate the tyre and refill with "normal" air just to be sure. measurable deflation will happen as quickly as overnight depending on tyre and composition of rubber.
ThatOtherGuy
ThatOtherGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Tue 27 Nov 2012, 8:13 am

Sounds like good advice - thanks TOG. Cool
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Tue 27 Nov 2012, 8:21 am

Thanks TOG. Interesting too.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatOtherGuy Tue 27 Nov 2012, 9:08 am

no worries, most people think their repair didn't work or they have another puncture and frustrate themselves trying to find something that is not there. Laughing
ThatOtherGuy
ThatOtherGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  SuzySuzuki Tue 27 Nov 2012, 10:10 am

The tyre repair kits warn that its only a 'stop gap fix', to ride to nearest repairer anyway, and only at 80kph (from memory). My kit has four cylinders, but thanks for the reminder to use a rag etc, i like the skin on my fingers Shocked

A few days after buying my Honda, I picked up a teck screw, found it while fuelling, so walked it to nearest repairer. He fixed it, but then told me the screw wouldnt have worked its way out, and i could have ridden until it wore down. I didnt like that idea either.

Carbon Fibre tank pad and fuel cap surround
Puig Race Screen
Ventura rack system
Shorter Exhaust on the WishList
[Tyre Repair Kit Suzuki10img]https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/[/img]

SuzySuzuki

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatOtherGuy Tue 27 Nov 2012, 10:18 am

both my bikes have plugs in the rear tyres, the GS500 punctured on the way home from having it fitted. Shocked plugged it, that was 10,000kms ago, no real problems with it. the Bandit punctured the day I picked it up, plugged it no real problems since and I have pushed that tyre very hard, they're being replaced this weekend. the one thing I do if I have plugged a tyre is add tyre slime to help plug from the inside.

incidentally the reason rears suffer more punctures is that usually its the front tyre flicking up the object into the rear tyre path and if all the planets align it jams between road surface and tyre and penetrates.
ThatOtherGuy
ThatOtherGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Tue 27 Nov 2012, 3:12 pm

SuzySuzuki wrote:The tyre repair kits warn that its only a 'stop gap fix', to ride to nearest repairer anyway, and only at 80kph (from memory). My kit has four cylinders, but thanks for the reminder to use a rag etc, i like the skin on my fingers Shocked

A few days after buying my Honda, I picked up a teck screw, found it while fuelling, so walked it to nearest repairer. He fixed it, but then told me the screw wouldnt have worked its way out, and i could have ridden until it wore down. I didnt like that idea either.

I can tell you Tek screws do in fact come out. A mate lost one at about 180kph (in the back of his 96 Bandit) and it made for an interesting wide corner exit. I've also picked one up in a brand new set of tyres on my Subaru Forester. Heard the ticking on the way home from work and thought I'd make it home. Steering got heavy 2kms from home, had to pull over and change the tyre. Did I mention it was on a Friday? I earned my first beer when I got home Smile
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  BoomGT Tue 27 Nov 2012, 4:03 pm

I have had to use my repair kit, which is similar to Ewoks kit, on the rear tyre of my 1250 and it has held up real well since at highway speeds with no problem. I might replace the tyre if I was to ride at a track day though.

Graham

BoomGT

Back to top Go down

Post  Four40 Wed 28 Nov 2012, 9:32 am

I"ve got the same kit. Only used it once on the 1400. The plug is still good after close to 10 000km and I believe that you shouldn't exceed a certain speed with a plugged tire. Hasn't caused me any grief yet, the 1400 tends to get to silly speeds, from time to time Very Happy I'll have to invest in a decent mutlitool though. Probably a 2nd kit to have on both bikes.
Four40
Four40

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatOtherGuy Wed 28 Nov 2012, 10:02 am

I have a tank bag that is the "recovery" bag, has tyre plugs, compressor, tools, spare levers, flashing lights for roadside emergencies etc etc. fits nicely in the top box, then if I need the room in the top box, throw it on the tank. works for me and have used it a number of times, mainly for helping others.
ThatOtherGuy
ThatOtherGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Wed 28 Nov 2012, 7:19 pm

the one i have is similar but has screw in plastic things that you screw into the hole and then snap the end off as a temporary repair to get you going. i found it takes up a fair bit of room [pliers, canisters, etc] so i took the tool kit out and put the repair kit there. i decided if the bike stops for some indeterminate reason i wont be able to fix it with a badly fitting plasticine spanner in any case so there wasnt really much point to the tool kit.

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down