Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Repair Tools - What I Carry

+6
Hammy
madmax
paul
Ewok1958
reddog
BanditDave
10 posters

Go down

Repair Tools - What I Carry Empty Repair Tools - What I Carry

Post  BanditDave Wed 23 Sep 2015, 2:56 pm

I posted this on the V-Strom forum but was curious to know what the feeling was here.

After owning 5 bikes in the last 10 years, 4 being Suzuki, I have been wondering what tools are useful for any roadside repairs.

I believe the regular maintenance I have performed has kept my bikes very reliable so what do I need to carry, if anything?

I have listed a few scenarios that may warrant further consideration.

#1 Considering the situation of parts falling off of your bike (bearing in mind it is not a HarleyRepair Tools - What I Carry Tango_face_surprise). I can't think of a specific example but I am assuming you may recover the part but not the fasteners that held it in place so spanners and wrenches will not be very useful.

#2 Removing a spark plug. Why would you do such a thing on the side of the road? OK, out goes the spark plug spanner.

#3 Puncture. Now this is a real issue. Either fix it on the bike or remove the wheel and have it transported to a tyre repair facility.

With a centre stand it is possible to remove a wheel but without how would you achieve this? I think the 22mm spanner and extension handle will stay at home also.

Here's the bottom line.
Carrying a tyre repair kit can in many cases allow you to do a temporary/permanent repair of a puncture.

I have personally had this happen and I was very comforted knowing that I had a tyre repair kit under the seat.

The bad news was that this kit required you to remove the object and them ream out the hole to enable the "gluey/string" thing to be inserted.

Once I got the reamer into the hole it was almost impossible to move it without the reamer hitting the inside of the rim. Obviously pushing the "gluey/string" thing into the hole was going to be even more challenging.

Luckily the kit came with 5 CO2 gas cylinders.
I plugged in the first cylinder and got some inflation into the tyre. Bad news is that it lasted about 2 seconds and I was back to the beginning with a flat tyre.
I put a second CO2 cylinder in the tyre and the same thing happened.
I still needed some CO2 to pump up the tyre after I repaired it.
Conclusion - don't waste your money on CO2 cylinders.
A fellow traveller had a small 12Volt air compressor on his bike.

We connected the compressor to the tyre and let it run as we successfully reamed the hole and then inserted the plug.

Almost there Repair Tools - What I Carry Tango_face_plainRepair Tools - What I Carry Tango_face_plain

My conclusion is that most tools on the bike have limited value on the roadside and you are better utilising the under seat space to carry a mini air compressor plus the tyre repair tools and plug kit.

I have purchased a $10 air compressor and a repair kit (without CO2 bottles) for a further $6. I don't expect my $10 air compressor is a quality product and that once used I will throw it away and purchase a replacement.

I feel that as I now carry a puncture repair kit that I will never need it (this is supported by Murphy's Laws).

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Repair Tools - What I Carry Empty Re: Repair Tools - What I Carry

Post  reddog Wed 23 Sep 2015, 3:20 pm

Cable ties and insulation tape. If you can't fix it with one of those then call a tow truck or friend to transport the bike for you.

An adjustable wrench and a working mobile phone are also handy Smile

In saying that the major drama I had on the bandit was there centre stand nut vibrated off and the bolt started making its way out. I found a shop in this little town that we were passing through that had an m10 bolt that kind of fitted.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Wed 23 Sep 2015, 3:34 pm

reddog wrote:Cable ties and insulation tape. If you can't fix it with one of those then call a tow truck or friend to transport the bike for you.

An adjustable wrench and a working mobile phone are also handy Smile

In saying that the major drama I had on the bandit was there centre stand nut vibrated off and the bolt started making its way out. I found a shop in this little town that we were passing through that had an m10 bolt that kind of fitted.

I agree, I should have said "never leave home without cable ties and lecky tape" (My mother used to always say "never go out without clean underwear and handkerchief). I guess this is somewhat similar.

I have been venturing a little further out of town recently and regrettably outside of the 98% guaranteed coverage area of mobile phones.

The only time I called the RACQ was when I owned the Suzuki Marauder and I finished up fixing it myself (bad connection on oil pressure wire) and phoned the RACQ and cancelled the request. Mind you, this was 2+ hours after I placed the request.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Wed 23 Sep 2015, 4:45 pm

You make a good point re the spark plug spanner Dave.  Can't see myself ever removing plugs by the side of the road.

I also carry a small air compressor and a plug repair kit, which I've had to use on one occasion (that was the occasion that demonstrated that CO2 cylinders were 2nd rate and that led to me buying the air compressor).

I'd also carry a spanner for the sump plug - I found mine quite loose after one ride as it hadn't been tightened properly.

And the 10mm, 12mm spanners and the ring spanner and extension to be able to adjust the chain.

And Allen keys, including the one that fits the mirrors on the B1250s (which wasn't in the standard kit when I got the bike new). I've had to tighten the mirrors on two occasions so far.

I don't bother with the rear spring adjustment spanner.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Wed 23 Sep 2015, 7:04 pm

I just take the basic tool kit , puncture kit , & some duct tape ..............The phone can also be a help if you have coverage .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Wed 23 Sep 2015, 7:32 pm

All I carry is, the standard Bike tool kit, Puncture repair kit, Air compressor, Phone and Total care roadside assistance.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Thu 24 Sep 2015, 7:06 am

It  is good to have the basics and a little more. But it is good when you can help out a fellow rider with a small roadside hic up.

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 24 Sep 2015, 7:33 am

I do carry to much, but have needed to use it.

On my regular 600km night trips, I once ran over a plastic bag, that had some string in it, at 1:00 am in the middle of no where. 

The string managed to bind up around the front sprocket, and the wheel bearing. The plastic bag bunched, and melted into the rear calliper.

It scared the shit out of me, and pulled up straight away. I had to pull off the wheel, and front sprocket cover, and disassemble the calliper to fix it all.  I wasn`t a happy chappy, but had all the gear to fix it.

If I`m doing distance, I carry gear. I don`t want to wait for hours, for someone to come and help me.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Thu 24 Sep 2015, 8:03 am

I carry the basic kit,

plus....

a good set of allen keys, cable ties, duct tape, a few extra combination spanners (8, 10, 12mm) a can of swoosh, chain lube and a small can of RP-7
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Thu 24 Sep 2015, 4:45 pm

Doesn't it really piss you off when you come up with a truly brilliant, earth shattering idea and find dozens of people have already done it.

Look like I will have to try harder Rolling Eyes

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Thu 24 Sep 2015, 9:13 pm

i carry a spare set of levers as well just in case my bike falls asleep

Back to top Go down

Post  SuzySuzuki Fri 25 Sep 2015, 8:19 am

My RACV Total Care Card....

Carbon Fibre tank pad and fuel cap surround
Puig Race Screen
Ventura rack system
Shorter Exhaust on the WishList
[Repair Tools - What I Carry Suzuki10img]https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/[/img]

SuzySuzuki

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Fri 25 Sep 2015, 2:01 pm

I am also an RACQ ultra care member.
Regrettably, many places I ride (a couple of hours from Brisbane) have limited or no mobile phone coverage.
Obviously the 98% Australia wide phone coverage does not include these areas.
I have stopped for a rest on some local bitumen roads and not seen another vehicle for 1/2 hour or more.
Those I do see probably wouldn't stop to help a "big bad motorcyclist"
I regard my Suzuki motorcycles, past and present as pretty reliable and I consider punctures are one of the few problems I can solve without assistance.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Fri 25 Sep 2015, 6:30 pm

BanditDave wrote:
Obviously the 98% Australia wide phone coverage does not include these areas.
That's 98% of the Australian population, probably closer to 10% of the land mass, you reckon it's bad up there, should try SA and WA
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum