Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil Pressure Bandit

3 posters

Go down

Oil Pressure Bandit Empty Oil Pressure Bandit

Post  Ironman Thu 19 Apr 2012, 6:55 pm

Since having to replace my engine a few weeks ago due to suspected big end failure I've had this itch to know exactly what my engine is doing internally. Oil pressure being the first one to tackle. Second will be oil temperature.
Thought I'd show you all what I have come up with. I found a small oil pressure gauge from the US which is oil filled (one would think then would be weatherproof). It has no mounting hardware or provision for, so I have made my own bracket.
The line for it has been difficult to obtain. The correct fittings seem to be hard to come by. Idea is -3 stainless braided line with Speedflow fittings.
About $80 for the line and fittings and $50 landed for the gauge.
The picture was taken with my phone and in the garage at night so it's not the best and I've only just noticed the gauge itself needs to be rotated a little to line it up but you will get the idea.
I think it look very "racy" with the hoseclamp. Probably better ways to mount it but in two weeks of searching, can't find a better alternative.
This mount cost me $1.80.
Oil Pressure Bandit Imag0117
Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Oil Pressure Bandit Empty Re: Oil Pressure Bandit

Post  dhula Thu 19 Apr 2012, 7:50 pm

Tricky dicky.

Any reason you went with a mechanical gauge instead of an electrical gauge.

I'd be a little concerned with fluid leaks in the line/fittings in the longer term seeing how you've mounted it on the top tripple which is always moving one way or the other and the line is always under pressure when the bikes is running.
Maybe consider moving the gauge to the fairing or somewhere less mobile.

If your guna mount both these maybe look into a all in one gauge that can do other things like coolant temp etc.A quick google came up with this which I recon is pretty cool

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Thu 19 Apr 2012, 8:13 pm

I'm still working on the setup. Needs a bit of a tidy up. My main reason for a mechanical gauge was the requirement for a "weatherproof" and small gauge. I don't see movement and pressure in a stainless braided line that's rated to 1,000PSI that would carry a max pressure not exceeding 100PSI as an issue. But I guess I'll just have to see. Smile
Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Thu 19 Apr 2012, 11:09 pm

It'll be interesting to know what sort of oil pressure it runs.
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down