Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil pressure falls on it's arse

4 posters

Go down

Oil pressure falls on it's arse Empty Oil pressure falls on it's arse

Post  Ironman Sun 22 Apr 2012, 2:38 pm

Hey All,
I've installed a mechanical acting 0-100PSI oil pressure gauge today. Went to all the trouble of stainless braided line, Speedflow fittings etc. $150 total install cost (gauge & line). Fired up the 1200, oil pressure was a pleasing 60PSI idle cold. As the engine warmed up watched the pressure slowly drop 55, 50, 45, 40, 35, 30, 25 (WTF!?), 20 (fark!), 15, 10 shut it down there and then.
The oil light switch is still installed and no light came on. OK, go for a ride. 3000rpm gauge shows 40PSI, between shifts I see the gauge momentarily drops to about 20PSI and back up to 40PSI. STart cruising at 2500rpm pressure shows 20PSI. By this time engine is well and truly warmed up. Stop at the lights and idle. Watched the gauge bury the needle at a big fat ZERO!. WTF!? No oil warning light on. What is this? Went straight home and pulled the other B12 out from hibernation. Fitted the battery hooked this gauge up to it and tested again. Exactly the same outcome. Either this gauge is not right OR the B12 runs freaking low oil pressure when hot or both my 1200's have identical serious problems. Running 15W-50 fully synthetic oil, K&N oil filter, both engines have done approx 9,000km.
Has anyone else done this exercise in cardiac arrest provoking behaviour?
Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Oil pressure falls on it's arse Empty Re: Oil pressure falls on it's arse

Post  Ironman Sun 22 Apr 2012, 2:49 pm

Specification is 40-80 PSI at 3000rpm at 80 deg C.
Not having a oil temp gauge I can't say when it reaches that point but it DOES get reasonable pressure at rpm.
Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 22 Apr 2012, 2:55 pm

As the engine warms up clearances open up, oil thins and the pressure drops off. Zero seems unusual though, you would expect some pressure still, even 5psi. The main thing is it is coming back up while cruising.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sun 22 Apr 2012, 5:31 pm

You need to check oil pressure with a known test gauge.
While the gauge you got seams to be a high quality gauge (most oil filled ones are) it may have a degree of error at each end of the scale depending on how it was calibrated (or even if it was calibrated - do you have a cal cert).
I have seen as much as 10% error at the extreams of deflection on some gauges. Usually the most accurate area will be mid scale of any gauge.

If the engine is running correct oil pressure and doesn't it doesn't sound like the little man inside is trying to dig his way out, then it is possibly OK

Just to put the need for oil pressure into perspective, I've remember working on a ford flat head V8 running ~5psi oil pressure at full noise. As far as I know the engine is still running that way with no work done on it apart from tune ups and servicing since about '97.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Sun 22 Apr 2012, 7:24 pm

Did a bit of searching on youtube. Found this guy checking oil pressure on his gixxer. Basically as he has found right at the end of his video coolant temp was 100deg C and had a idle speed oil pressure of 5.8PSI or .4BAR. Bugger all I would have thought.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAUPCxPWpog

A couple of pictures of the Speedflow fittings and gauge install.
Oil pressure falls on it's arse Imag0118

Oil pressure falls on it's arse Imag0119

Last edited by Ironman on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added pix)
Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  STI-REX Mon 23 Apr 2012, 8:51 am

This is the very reason that i have not fitted gauges like this to my bike or car as i probably don't want to know as it may lead to induced paranoia

I just change the oil + filter every 5000 km's and hope it all stays going

I also was told by a bike mechanic (Norris Farrow, NZ racer and engine builder ) many years ago that it is best to stay around 3500 and up in the rev range and not to let big bike engines lug like a diesel in the higher gears as that is a sure way to run a bearing in the bottom end combining high load and lower oil pressure

This was back in 1987 wheni had my first Gsxr1100 (same motor near enough)

He reckoned that bikes run low pressure down low as to be able to run not to high a pressure at high revs and blow seals
And that bike engines needed very little oil pressure with no load ( at idle )

I run mobil delvac diesel oil 15/40 ( also rated for petrol engines ) in my car as it has the highest shear rating that i could find and it keeps the engine very clean inside

I just changed a rocker cover gasket on the car and the cover was shiny silver inside as well the cam box was clean no dark oil varnish or staining of the alloy

Not bad for a 165,000 km 9 year old turbo rice rocket that gets thrashed Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down