Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ventura Luggage/Rack Kit

+5
2wheelsagain
Jimcoleman
gus
paul
mustang sally
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ventura Luggage/Rack Kit Empty Ventura Luggage/Rack Kit

Post  mustang sally Sun 11 Mar 2012, 10:37 am

There are a lot of options for luggage out there and because some of us like to travel with more than a spare pair of jocks stuffed into a jacket pocket, I was looking for some temporary soft luggage that can be easily removed and stored for the rare occasion that I will need it. The salesman offered me the Ventura system probably because it was all he had at the time. I liked it so I have gradually collected the set.

The initial part of the set up is the rack. I have the smaller sports rack as well but for travelling the full rack is required.

[img]Ventura Luggage/Rack Kit DSCF2880[/img]

It doesn't look too bad and replaces the grab bar. The luggage itself is very versatile and can be easily tasked to suit your requirements.

The small bag is the Aero Delta. I am unsure why it zips flat. When flat it hold nearly nothing but with added shoulder straps is backpack size If I was going on a shopping trip with the misses and needed expandable luggage I wouldn't be taking the bandi.

[img]Ventura Luggage/Rack Kit DSCF2874[/img]

The larger bag is the Aero Spada. This is large enough to hold a helmet but I find it too large for casual use.

[img]Ventura Luggage/Rack Kit DSCF2875[/img]

The Aero Delta and Spada can zip together and sit on the same rack. This provides quite a large volume of luggage space but really is weight limited. I have searched the net for a weight capacity of the rack and all I could fine was vague suggestions of 9 kilo. The combined set up keeps the mass directly along the bikes spine and is completely unnoticeable when riding.

[img]Ventura Luggage/Rack Kit DSCF2873[/img]

My next purchase was the monza panniers set. I did this late one night when I was bored and tired at work. Only later did I realise that it might have been a mistake as I hadn't counted on the bags coming into contact with the exhaust. As you can see the staintune pipe is well away from the bag. The standard pipe may be an issue. I am really impressed with the panniers. They also expand but this time I understand why. By themselves they would carry enough for any weekend trip and not be weight limited like the rack bags.

[img]Ventura Luggage/Rack Kit DSCF2881[/img]

So when completely packed with the addition of the Thruxton magnetic tank bag the bandit looks like this.

[img]Ventura Luggage/Rack Kit DSCF2882[/img]

This is more than enough luggage space for me. Apparently if you flip the Spada/Delta bags around there is room for the pillion but only really if they are small and aren't too fussy about space.

[img]Ventura Luggage/Rack Kit DSCF2883[/img]

From behind you see that the bags don't interfere with the indicators or number plate also you can see that there is plenty of clearance from the pipe.

[img]Ventura Luggage/Rack Kit DSCF2871[/img]

To sum up I am very happy with my luggage. It is versatile and easily tasked to individual situations. However, there are limitations. And I am not talking about the obvious one regarding the complete lack of security. Yes there are locking zips but thats it so don't take your eye off it for long. Firstly, it is expensive for soft luggage. I have seen that the oxford and the dririder bags are cheaper. Also, only the thruxton tank bag came with a storm cover. They are available for all the others but at a cost. The tank bag is of the magnetic type so I wouldn't put cameras, phones, pads, etc in there. Which brings to mind what I will put in there as these are the things you want immediately available? I am not confident with the zips that join the Aero Spada and Delta. Yes there are two but it only take one to break and the system is useless. Other than that, I am now able to take more gear than I could possibly need in a clean and safe way. Bulk high, weight low. I can see I will be transporting other peoples stuff to the moto gp next time.

Cheers Mark

Zero G DB Screen
mustang sally
mustang sally

Back to top Go down

Ventura Luggage/Rack Kit Empty Ventura Luggage/Rack Kit

Post  paul Sun 11 Mar 2012, 11:40 am

good report Mark . As you know I`ve got the top box for everyday use & also some soft panniers I`ve had for ages for when Sue goes on a trip with me or longer trips etc . Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Ventura Luggage/Rack Kit Empty Re: Ventura Luggage/Rack Kit

Post  gus Sun 11 Mar 2012, 11:42 am

Fn great. Very Happy cheers Laughing
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 11 Mar 2012, 12:03 pm

A base like this would be good for the 2 bags .Esp. on the bandit as the front bag doesnt sit on the seat .I have a spare rack so i might make one .
Ventura Luggage/Rack Kit IMG_3627
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 11 Mar 2012, 12:22 pm

That would work a treat , the only thing is I would make my weld area at the bottom as large as possible . I once used a ventura rack to mount a top box & the rack wasn`t overly strong & cracked in a couple of places. Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Sun 11 Mar 2012, 1:06 pm

Gus i sometimes wonder what ever you do for a living is a waste of your true talent, is there nothing you can't modify Very Happy
Jimcoleman
Jimcoleman

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 11 Mar 2012, 3:47 pm

mustang sally wrote:

[img]Ventura Luggage/Rack Kit DSCF2880[/img]

Great report.
I have a Ventura system for "the other bike" but every time I look for L brackets all I can find for The Bandit is the ones the run along the tail which look crap IMHO.
Where do you get the shorties that replace the grab rail? Part number would be good Smile

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 11 Mar 2012, 5:23 pm

I can take to the guy down the road and get him to braze it together and pay him . Now thats cleaver Laughing

I'll make it so he carnt get it wrong.
Ventura Luggage/Rack Kit IMG_3629

Ventura Luggage/Rack Kit IMG_3628
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 12 Mar 2012, 7:56 pm

Rack (used) $10 .To get it welded properly $10 gave me this .
Ventura Luggage/Rack Kit IMG_3643
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Mon 12 Mar 2012, 8:08 pm

Nice set-up MS. Have you seen Venturas latest bag ? The Aero Mistral. Very nice. That is ideal Gus. I did have a thought of attaching a U shaped piece of tube as a temporary thing.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  mustang sally Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:06 pm

2WA look on the kenma website. It has all the part numbers. I have never seen the long brackets for the 1250 bandit but have seen them on many other makes.

Hammy yes I did see the aero mistral and it looks much more robust that the spada. However, the mistral will not zip together with the spada or the delta. So once I had made my decision I was stuck with it.

Zero G DB Screen
mustang sally
mustang sally

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:16 pm

gus wrote:Rack (used) $10 .To get it welded properly $10 gave me this .

Looks the goods Gus Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:26 pm

I carry a swag on the back (the lightest )which means the bag sits over the seat .And i mean over the seat , no contact by about 50 mm .
At least now it hase a base to sit on .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:00 pm

@MS: Are they throw-over panniers? I ask because I used a set of Motodry throw-overs on the WSBK trip that I bought second-hand, and they have certainly rubbed and dulled the paint on the back of the Bandit where they sit. I reckon that is why the previous owner sold them. It would be easy to prevent with some 'light skinz' transparent material of something similar but in advance of using the throw-overs, not after - the situation I find myself in. Sad
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:47 pm

mustang sally wrote:
The tank bag is of the magnetic type so I wouldn't put cameras, phones, pads, etc in there.
Cheers Mark

My Oxford tank bag is also magnetic I have carried Phone, wallet and camera in it without any problems. As the magnets are on the outside flaps and not directly under the bag. I think they must be far enough away to be safe.

As for weather proof I can testify that they definitely aren't! When we toured Tassie last year the Aero Spada and Delta bags on mine and my mates bikes let water in. Luckily we had stowed everything in garbage bags inside. The other guy had a Motodry bag that stayed dry inside.

I liked the Aero Series for its versatility. when we got on the Spirit of Tassie we left everything we didn't need on the bike and took only the Aero Delta to the cabin. It worked out much easier than lugging the larger one piece Motodry through the tight crowded corridors.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  mustang sally Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:50 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:@MS: Are they throw-over panniers? I ask because I used a set of Motodry throw-overs on the WSBK trip that I bought second-hand, and they have certainly rubbed and dulled the paint on the back of the Bandit where they sit. I reckon that is why the previous owner sold them. It would be easy to prevent with some 'light skinz' transparent material of something similar but in advance of using the throw-overs, not after - the situation I find myself in. Sad
They actually leave a pamphlet recommending this in the panniers when I opened them. I was thinking of getting some 3M stuff and doing it myself in strategic spots.

Zero G DB Screen
mustang sally
mustang sally

Back to top Go down

Post  mustang sally Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:54 pm

[quote="madmax"]
mustang sally wrote:
The tank bag is of the magnetic type so I wouldn't put cameras, phones, pads, etc in there.
Cheers Mark

My Oxford tank bag is also magnetic I have carried Phone, wallet and camera in it without any problems. As the magnets are on the outside flaps and not directly under the bag. I think they must be far enough away to be safe.

As for weather proof I can testify that they definitely aren't! When we toured Tassie last year the Aero Spada and Delta bags on mine and my mates bikes let water in. Luckily we had stowed everything in garbage bags inside. The other guy had a Motodry bag that stayed dry inside.

I liked the Aero Series for its versatility. when we got on the Spirit of Tassie we left everything we didn't need on the bike and took only the Aero Delta to the cabin. It worked out much easier than lugging the larger one piece Motodry through the tight crowded corridors.

Zero G DB Screen
mustang sally
mustang sally

Back to top Go down

Post  mustang sally Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:57 pm

[quote="mustang sally"]
madmax wrote:
mustang sally wrote:
Cheers Mark

Call me paranoid but I lost a phone due to proximity to a strong magnet. In these modern times it would be a complete pain to lose it like that again. As for a camera. I always find that the cameras value increases the longer the trip.

Zero G DB Screen
mustang sally
mustang sally

Back to top Go down

Post  Ross. Tue 13 Mar 2012, 10:32 am

gus wrote:Rack (used) $10 .To get it welded properly $10 gave me this .

Wish I could find one for $10. Then I could cut the loop off of one and use it to mount my small topbox.

Ross.

http://rossmz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 13 Mar 2012, 7:51 pm

Well i have the loop (in the bin at the moment ,Garbage day tomorrow
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ross. Tue 13 Mar 2012, 9:11 pm

gus wrote:Well i have the loop (in the bin at the moment ,Garbage day tomorrow

I need to rack bit with out the loop.

Ross.

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 13 Mar 2012, 9:32 pm

I"ll ask where i got my $10 one .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ross. Tue 13 Mar 2012, 9:47 pm

gus wrote:I"ll ask where i got my $10 one .

Thank you. bounce

Ross.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ross. Thu 15 Mar 2012, 4:42 pm

Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question Did ya ask Question

Ross.

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Thu 15 Mar 2012, 7:31 pm

Boy, you really want one .I'll find out Saturday .I know they have some just not sure how much they want .($)
I'll offer them $10 again but if they say $25 what should i say .Its old stock they want to clear .

I see your nsw so i'll have to post it . $20 max i'll offer as there will be postage .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next