Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bandit V's FZ1 - My Thoughts

+10
Skywardbandit
b12mick
sb1250
Re-Cycled
lliquidlen
Hammy
Ewok1958
Thof
paul
2wheelsagain
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bandit V's FZ1 - My Thoughts - Page 2 Empty Bandit V's FZ1 - My Thoughts

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 05 Dec 2011, 8:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

Two bikes the same but different!
That’s right. They even look similar. In my case even more so with black bikes with silver engines.

Todays planned ride was a weather shortened event never the less I knocked off about 200km over roads I know well and have ridden many times.
The video I will post in a couple of days will be familiar to some of you. Very Happy

This comparo is based on 26,000km on the best value new bike you will find and 500km on a bike I have always wanted and without a bit of prodding and local assistance I would still be lusting after.

To save some of you the trouble of reading the whole review I will state here and now that for me and where and how I ride, a 10 year old FZ1 flogs my “as new” 4yr old Bandit 1250S in just about every way.

If you have snorted or said to yourself bullshit, stop reading now.

Still here? Follow me…………….

My occasional frustrations over quality and price point manufacturing of the Bandit has had plenty of exposure on this forum.
I can’t see the point in modding the Bandit power or suspension wise because you’ll still have a big heavy lump at the end of the journey.
What would $6,000 in mods get you? That’s my take on it and not intended to be a statement of fact.

For the same price as a good used B1200 and a few thousand less than a good used B1250N/S I picked myself up a low km (less than 18,000) as new 2001 Yamaha FZ1.
You all know the specs of the B1200 – B1250 and as reliable do it all bikes they are fantastic. There's nothing wrong with them.
They do exactly what they were designed for. No disrespect implied or intended at all.

Here are some other specs. Generation 1 FZ1 140hp. 208kg, R1 brakes, shorter wheelbase, chromoly and aluminium frame, 3 way adjustable suspension at both ends, 120/17 and 180/17 tyres.

I just can’t help wondering why Suzuki didn’t make use of their sports kit and build something to match.
If not a Bandit then something else. History will show they didn’t and both bikes worldwide are very popular. Surprised

When I tested the new FZ1 a few weeks ago I was left disappointed about it. New, unless you can use the FZ1 as it’s designed doesn’t show it’s almost $7,000 premium over the GSX/GSF1250 Evil or Very Mad
The difference becomes very interesting if you’re thinking of “used”. Particularly the carburetted generation 1 FZ1’s.
I had been told and I’m inclined to agree the Gen 1’s were/are a better bike. More a riders bike and less a show pony. Hey that’s what the Bandit is right? A riders bike. A work horse Smile

I can’t speak for all Gen 1 FZ1’s so I’ll speak about mine.

The good (for me).
Every painted surface has been covered with paint that looks like enamel not chalk.
Plastics that still look like new.
Headlights that actually work.
The lightest slickest gear shift I have ever used and that goes for all my highly praised Suzuki’s.
Absolutely no vibrations through the bars, seat or pegs at normal road speed and into firing squad territory.
Wiring that is covered and routed to be mostly out of sight.
Turbine like power delivery that builds from 3k to 11k but I’ve not been there yet!
All day comfort seat.
Deceptively effective narrow screen.
More under seat storage.
Brakes that inspire confidence (I thought my Bandit’s were good).
The best/easiest center stand I have ever used.

Could be better (but not a fault).
I haven’t mastered the cold start trick yet.
Pretty doughy off the bottom unless up to temperature (I don’t just mean warmed up).
It probably will get me into trouble.
Insurance is twice as much.
Should be run on 98 fuel.
Mirrors a fair bit narrower than the Bandit.
Not a great commuter.

So how does it ride?
My time in the seat (not on the seat) has been a serious across Melb commute in speed zones from 40 to 80. A run east to home along the Princes Hwy.
A higher speed run into the hills north of Sale then across to Bairnsdale then along the well known Bengworden Rd to Sale.
A couple of laps around town doing stuff. All up a bit over 500km.

The first impression was that the FZ1 would be a pain in a suburban commute. You just wouldn’t get out of 2nd gear.
The B1250 is happy to lump along in 4th at 60 if that’s what you want and you’d crack the throttle and away it would pull.
Second impression was the brakes are excellent as is the comfort. Hands, feet, arse positions are as close as damn it to the B1250. So for me it feels “natural”.
Third impression was on the run home at an indicated 115km/h I was passing cars. I haven’t GPS’ed the speedo yet bit it must be pretty accurate. Also at that speed there is no need to knock it back a couple of gears to overtake like on the new bike I tested. Probably a different torque curve. At 100km/h the B1250 would probably be quicker overtaking a car but the FZ1 would round up a B-Double quicker. It’s pretty close. At 120km/h the FZ1 wins.
Fourth impression came today in the hills. It’s pointy. It goes and stops. It’s pretty good on fuel. It tracks true once cranked over and at 30 – 40kg less it’s easier to get over. Two fingers on the brake lever is all that’s required and you slow instantly without compressing the forks first then retarding speed. It’s a far better bike than I am a rider (so is the B1250) but the confidence gained from something that feels sporty is sensational. The new Pilot Pure tyres are excellent. They’re the sportiest tyres I have ever ridden on. I hope they last.

Summary
I still need to do a couple of minor suspension tweaks. I think the rear needs a fraction more preload. Comp and rebound are fine. I will wind on a bit more compression on the front.
There are some big hits on the roads I took today and some of them are downright uncomfortable on the B1250. The FZ1 took them on the chin. The FZ1 loves corners.
Set up and power on all the way through.

This is the bike the Bandit/s could have been. It’s capable of touring. It’s at least as comfortable. Its better finished. It has proven reliability. There is a huge bling and accessory market for them at bloody good prices ($25 for a smoke tinted screen delivered from LA)

Don’t get me wrong. I love my Bandit and everyone who has one does. They have their place and they do what they are designed to do at their price point.
The trouble for the Bandit is at 10 years old my FZ1 is a better bike for what I want a second bike for and where I use it. It is cheaper than a used Bandit too. Thank god I’m fortunate enough to walk into the garage and ask myself do I want to take the equivalent of a Holden Calais or the Club Sport for a run today.

gus wrote:Lets not forget the Yam. was more expensive. It should be better.
It was and is showing signs of what that money bought 10 years down the track. Currently they are cheaper than a used Bandit. Hows that for value Very Happy

Happy to discuss Wink

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Bandit V's FZ1 - My Thoughts - Page 2 Empty Re: Bandit V's FZ1 - My Thoughts

Post  lliquidlen Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:13 am

Thank you Paul! The test says it all. Value for money the Bandit wins hands down, but we all know that don't we?

lliquidlen
lliquidlen

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:24 am

lliquidlen wrote:Thank you Paul! The test says it all. Value for money the Bandit wins hands down, but we all know that don't we?

Stirrer. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Thu 08 Dec 2011, 1:34 am

I have only done a test ride on a Fazer 1000 ( thats what it was called when I rode it) so I'm assuming it was a gen 1 FZ1....

The review/comparo is great. Good read so thanks for taking the time to write it.

However I disagree on one point. The 2nd hand FZ1's are not cheaper. That one on ebay was a rare deal but most of the 01 FZ1 you would be paying over 5grand for. You can get a hold of low km 01 bandits for less money. At least, I didn't manage to....

And anyway, I have this stupid brand alligence to suzuki or kawasaki for motorbikes, so wouldn't own a yamaha anyways.... I know its stupid and emotional... but its my bike and thats the way I am.....
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Thu 08 Dec 2011, 7:14 am

NOW NOW boys play nice Laughing

It is not best that we should all think alike; it is a difference of opinion that makes horse races.
Mark Twain

Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it.
Thomas Jefferson

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 08 Dec 2011, 7:24 am

chips wrote:I have only done a test ride on a Fazer 1000 ( thats what it was called when I rode it) so I'm assuming it was a gen 1 FZ1....

The review/comparo is great. Good read so thanks for taking the time to write it.

However I disagree on one point. The 2nd hand FZ1's are not cheaper. That one on ebay was a rare deal but most of the 01 FZ1 you would be paying over 5grand for. You can get a hold of low km 01 bandits for less money. At least, I didn't manage to....

And anyway, I have this stupid brand alligence to suzuki or kawasaki for motorbikes, so wouldn't own a yamaha anyways.... I know its stupid and emotional... but its my bike and thats the way I am.....

I think I said and certainly what I meant was "a good used 1200" not necessarily year for year pricing.
There quite a few examples of Gen 1 FZ1's on bikesales in the $5,000 range but they do go to aboutb $8,000. That still looks like Bandit prices to me Smile

I like loyalty. Its an attachment thing but don't let it limit your choices in life. I've owned more Suzuki's than anything else but that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy something else if the opportunity arises. bounce

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Thof Thu 08 Dec 2011, 10:06 pm

Ah, good to see some passion from time to time, now let me tell you about my CBX6...
Thof
Thof

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2