Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On the deck

+18
Saikhan
2wheelsagain
Dekenai
reddog
bruiser2310
Hammy
Kaupy1962
Fossil
chips
jaba01
paul
Ewok1958
Re-Cycled
gus
xpalan
Reardo
Boatz
kewwig
22 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

On the deck - Page 2 Empty On the deck

Post  kewwig Sun 06 Nov 2011, 8:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

I had a great day today. The local Police ran a training day and we spent all day learning handling skills and I really got a lot out of it. Those boys can really ride those BMW white bathtubs. One had a ride on the Bandit, which was positively svelte in comparison to the Beemers.

We finished about 3.30 and rode home, following one of the Police bikes, came down a hill, bright and sunny day, slight right hand bend and WHAM - on the deck instantly on the right side, sliding down the road about 40 km/hr and hearing the bike behind me hit the deck and slide after me (now that's not a happy sound).

The Bandit went over a gutter and ended up in someone's drive. The GSG Moto crash peg sheared off (not good), and the right hand fairing upper and lower, Yoshi, bar end, magneto cover, indicator, lever, Givi top box and mirror are toast. The bike was rideable, (I think) but I had hurt my hand (sprain it turns out), and got carted off in an ambulance with my fellow crasher to be on the safe side. (He got some friction burns). I am glad I had all the gear on.

The road was dry, weather beautiful, but something had leaked a huge trail of either oil or diesel for several hundred metres, about half a metre wide, right smack in the lane. Almost invisible, but shit it takes you down fast.

I had just fitted a clear LED tail light and cleaned the beast too. i am gutted and hope the insurance company are prompt. Fortunately the Police officer in front saw us go down in his mirrors, and because we were riding in staggered formation, no one got run over.

What a day. So much for the GSG crash pegs.

On the deck - Page 2 Damage10

kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

On the deck - Page 2 Empty Re: On the deck

Post  kewwig Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:19 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:That's a kick in the balls mate but I suspected it might be the case.
Thank f@ck for insurance eh?

Yes. Gives me a chance to look at my next bike options too.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sat 19 Nov 2011, 2:14 pm

Four40 owns one, I have ridden and was not impressed. Similar but even softer than a Bandit, power much the same, though even more down low and even less up top. Suspension soft and soggy but brakes OK, probably a better tourer.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 19 Nov 2011, 3:03 pm

kewwig wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:That's a kick in the balls mate but I suspected it might be the case.

Two letters and one numeral FZ1 would be worth a close look Wink
Used ones are good value here.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Sat 19 Nov 2011, 7:55 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:
kewwig wrote:

Two letters and one numeral FZ1 would be worth a close look Wink
Used ones are good value here.

just save the time and get another bandit....
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  Ross. Sat 19 Nov 2011, 8:53 pm

Typical insurance company. Write it off. Wipe ya hands mate and walk away and buy another Bandit.

Ross.

http://rossmz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 19 Nov 2011, 9:16 pm

FUTURE aka Ross wrote:Typical insurance company. Write it off. Wipe ya hands mate and walk away and buy another Bandit.
Its the cost of repairing bikes in a small market. Nothing to do with insurance Co not being up to par.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Mon 28 Nov 2011, 6:18 pm

I went in today to look at the crashed Bandit and do a close inspection. Starts and runs fine. The shop has quoted $9.5K, but that is replacing parts at full retail, including things that don't need replacing (eg full Suzuki price on a screen at $406 when the rubber trim had come away and just pushed back on etc). The bottom fairing is quoted at almost $1700 when I can land one from the US for about $700.

I have quoted the insurance company $6K to do the same job. No labour and I already have some parts, so no cost for them. Bike is insured for $11K, so fingers crossed. They seem interested and will talk to the assessor. I may be back on the girl yet - in fact with new plastics it will be even better than before.

It needs:

top and bottom fairings, top box, brake lever, muffler, bar end, footpeg weights, mirror and indicator. I can fix it easily it in an afternoon.

Here's hoping.

On the deck - Page 2 Dsc00910

On the deck - Page 2 Dsc00810

kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Mon 28 Nov 2011, 6:50 pm

Will the bike shop let you swap the seats, just in case they take it?

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Mon 28 Nov 2011, 6:55 pm

Reardo wrote:Will the bike shop let you swap the seats, just in case they take it?

already done....
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 28 Nov 2011, 8:50 pm

Doesnt look like 9 grands worth does it .Dib you have crash knobs ?
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Tue 29 Nov 2011, 6:55 am

My GF got rear ended by a DH biker with a sidecar at a stop sign intersection a while ago. New tail light and fender. A couple of other minor scratches. Five and a half grand ! I think some of these shops are really cashing in on insurance jobs. Maybe even a little kick back or two ?
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  mustang sally Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:15 pm

Sorry to hear of the bad luck but glad you are ok. Hit black ice myself once in the hills at speed. Scariest half a second of my life and ended up in the oncoming traffic. To this day I don't know what kept me upright. Still every cloud and all that. I know it's a boring option but Suzuki are doing fantastic deals on '11 bandits. Probably '10's really. Strip off all your mods and start again on a new naked bike. Just a shame you can't get red.

Zero G DB Screen
mustang sally
mustang sally

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Tue 29 Nov 2011, 6:06 pm

gus wrote:Doesnt look like 9 grands worth does it .Dib you have crash knobs ?

I had the GSG Moto, which are the only ones that fit with the factory lower fairing. I think they may have actually caused more damage, as the bike skated across the road a lot further than my mate's CB1300, and across the kerb, which sheared the knob right off. The alloy mount plate is actually bent.

I think that style of knob is OK for a tipover, but a lowside - no. The fairings got trashed anyway, and I think it just made the bike slide further as there was less resistance (initially anyway).

I wouldn't fit them again.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 29 Nov 2011, 6:14 pm

There is a topic in itself . Suspect I thought i was a bit reckless with no crash knobs but maybe not .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Tue 29 Nov 2011, 6:19 pm

gus wrote:There is a topic in itself . Suspect I thought i was a bit reckless with no crash knobs but maybe not .

I think they add another variable. Low speed tip over - yes. Higher speed still good, but much will depend on where the bike slides. Mine hit the kerb, but it may have come out better if it had just slid up the road. The bike was still rideable afterwards (although brake lever is broken).

I think the frame mounted ones on the naked Bandits would be better. The GSG have plates joined by a connecting rod and just not as strong as those directly to the frame (although the bending of the plate may have prevented frame damage, of course).

All they did is add a few more hundred dollars to my crash damage - BUT - in the circumstances of my crash.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Tue 29 Nov 2011, 6:25 pm

Hammy wrote:My GF got rear ended by a DH biker with a sidecar at a stop sign intersection a while ago. New tail light and fender. A couple of other minor scratches. Five and a half grand ! I think some of these shops are really cashing in on insurance jobs. Maybe even a little kick back or two ?

In NZ they restore the bike to the condition it was in prior to the crash, so even minor scratches = parts replacement. Whether it's a tipover or a 50k lowside, the cost is much the same. I certainly think there's a case to challenge the quotes, as most of us can re-fit plastics and various components quite easily.

In hindsight it's a lesson to me not to farkle excessively, as you don't get it back.

I trust the shop I deal with, but the fact is that the Suzuki NZ retail markup and pricing structure is not competitive compared to what I, as an individual, am able to source with some shopping around.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:46 pm

Good news, all. The insurance company has accepted my quote to rebuild the bike for $6K, so I should be able to pick it up tomorrow and make a start. Watch this space, and I'll get some pics up of the damage and the rebuild.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Wed 07 Dec 2011, 9:56 pm

that is good news ( it`s what you really wanted ) keep us posted Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Ross. Wed 07 Dec 2011, 10:00 pm

Please don't say you are going to cafe it, bobber it or street fighter it. lol!

Ross.

http://rossmz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Wed 07 Dec 2011, 10:07 pm

6K Very Happy Its should look better then before, or are you just going for the basics and keep some cash.

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:14 am

I am amazed that an insurance co' would go for your tender. Strange world indeed.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Thu 08 Dec 2011, 7:44 pm

FUTURE aka Ross wrote:Please don't say you are going to cafe it, bobber it or street fighter it. lol!

Hell no!
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Thu 08 Dec 2011, 7:47 pm

Hammy wrote:I am amazed that an insurance co' would go for your tender. Strange world indeed.

Saves them $3,500-$5,000 and keeps me happy. Bike's up and running again with the standard pipe on it and lowers removed. Will have it at the standard it was at (in fact better, because there will be no stone chips or scratches)
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Thu 08 Dec 2011, 7:50 pm

Reardo wrote:6K Very Happy Its should look better then before, or are you just going for the basics and keep some cash.

With some judicious shopping it will arise from the ashes better than before and I should be well under budget.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Sat 10 Dec 2011, 6:20 pm

I spent the whole day repairing the bike and you can't tell it had ever had a spill. I have the standard can back on it for now ( a Yoshi TRS is winging its way to me for US$278). All up so far $2318, which saw me replace: bars, bar end weight, right front indicator, upper fairing/cowling, balance weights for both right hand side foot pegs and a mirror. I also replaced the right hand crankshaft cover and gasket. That had been ground right down and had a pinhole in it. Another few metres along the road and it would have got right through it. I have dropped the oil and filter to be on the safe side, but I am confident no metal got into the engine.

Just trying to source a lower fairing and all will be well. The bike looks better than before and it was good then.

Thanks all for the support, and I am well and truly back.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next