Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Check Your Bar End Weights!

+15
Bhoffo
Rabid_Canine
gus
Pete
Baz
Four40
potatomasher
jaba01
boomer
Saikhan
b12mick
tj1
Cameron
Dink.1170
2wheelsagain
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Check Your Bar End Weights! Empty Check Your Bar End Weights!

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 02 Dec 2009, 8:45 am

Pulling into work this morning I had a sensation that there was a heap of play in the throttle grip. Surprised
Having never felt this before I investigated and found the right bar end weight very loose and the left one not tight. Shocked
Now people who know me and know my bike know I'm pedantic about maintenance and more than once I have berated others for slack maintenance so this morning I kicked myself in the arse. What a Face
I can honestly say that after the initial 500Km shakedown when I ran the tools over the bike and was surprised at what wasn’t to spec (nothing to do with pre delivery or assembly) I have not checked the weights since. Now they'll be on the semi regular check list along with anything else I find tonight. Smile

How long since you checked yours?

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Check Your Bar End Weights! Empty Re: Check Your Bar End Weights!

Post  Dink.1170 Wed 02 Dec 2009, 3:12 pm

I checked mine!!! they are still sitting happily on the shelf with the other bits I have removed, I fitted "Barkbusters" ends in stead when I swapped to lower narrower alloy bars the stock weights wouldn't fit into.

Dink

Dink.1170

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Wed 02 Dec 2009, 6:51 pm

Last check was at the first service. I will double check on the weekend.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tj1 Fri 04 Dec 2009, 12:54 am

Sorry what??? What are we checking????

The other night I had a long weight at the bar, but I complained and I now get better service Very Happy
tj1
tj1

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Fri 04 Dec 2009, 10:07 am

I check the bar and wieghts as part of my start up procedure in the mornings, and regularly on big rides. I do this because about 6 months after I bought the b12, the left hand bar weight fall off while I was riding it. Shocked Scared the crap out of my wife when she saw this black thing bouncing downt the road towards her precious Monster.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Saikhan Thu 28 Jan 2010, 1:24 am

Ummm, Blue Loctite perhaps . Very Happy
Saikhan
Saikhan

Back to top Go down

Post  boomer Thu 28 Jan 2010, 8:19 am

Saikhan wrote:Ummm, Blue Loctite perhaps . Very Happy

i don't know that blue loctite will help in this case, as the bolt is only expanding the rubber "washer" to prevent it from coming out. it might, but i'm not so sure.

FarRider #412

Check Your Bar End Weights! Yoshi2
boomer
boomer

http://www.scottspics.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  jaba01 Wed 28 Jul 2010, 9:15 pm

The left hand bar end fell off my bike on the second day at 60km on clock. Now I check them regulary! Smile
jaba01
jaba01

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Thu 29 Jul 2010, 8:41 am

they do tend to vibrate loose - i give mine a regular twist

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Four40 Sun 01 Aug 2010, 10:36 am

I had the OEM bar ends off a few days after buying my bike. Found some better looking ones on E-bay
Check Your Bar End Weights! Th_Barends2 Check Your Bar End Weights! Th_Barends1
Four40
Four40

Back to top Go down

Post  Baz Sun 01 Aug 2010, 7:12 pm

boomer wrote:
Saikhan wrote:Ummm, Blue Loctite perhaps . Very Happy

i don't know that blue loctite will help in this case, as the bolt is only expanding the rubber "washer" to prevent it from coming out. it might, but i'm not so sure.

I used a locktite .. then when taking them off to change them a nut and I think a small rubber washer have ended up inside my bars .. although I never tried to recover them.

Kawa GPZ900R
Hyo GV650 Aquila
GSF1250SA Bandit
GSX1250FA
currently BMW R1200RT
Baz
Baz

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Thu 07 Oct 2010, 10:17 am

The same thing happened on my week old GSX 1250 FA. Half way up the Old Road the throttle side started to fall out of the bar!

Who's bright idea was it to use an expanding rubber "washer" as the sole means of holding it in there?!

Anyway, the Kaoko set I have use a completely different design, so checking the end weights is no longer a concern... cheers

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 07 Oct 2010, 12:07 pm

Pete wrote:

Who's bright idea was it to use an expanding rubber "washer" as the sole means of holding it in there?!

As good as they are Bandits are built to a price Wink

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Thu 07 Oct 2010, 3:15 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:
Pete wrote:

As good as they are Bandits are built to a price Wink

True, but good design needn't equate expensive design.

Pete

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:41 pm

Well my bike has been parked in a shed at work since Thursday and I picked it up today.
So I was mighty pissed off when I see I have lost the right bar weight!!! Evil or Very Mad
I'm sure I would have noticed it so I assume it departed Thursday morning.
f00king stupid way of attaching them. Thanks Suzuki.
I have the originals here and have put them both on again. The nut is floating around the bottom bend somewhere too.
What can I use to keep them tight but still be able to remove the weights when required?

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 28 Aug 2011, 9:17 pm

I lost on of mine in Tassie .I turned around and actually found it 2 kays back .I tighned it back up with a phillip head screwdriver i had ,tight .
While i was at the bike shop (where i was going ) i asked to borrow a screwdriver to check it . They lent me a quallity "snap on " screwdriver .
It was then i realised that $2 screwdrivers do not do things up TIGHT before they slip .
The "snap on "driver made the tension feel finger tight only .I swore when i got home to buy a good set to do the job properly .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 28 Aug 2011, 9:43 pm

Gotta have the right tools Gus.
My bike is even less modified now Sad

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rabid_Canine Mon 29 Aug 2011, 9:08 am

I lost the washer and nut on my left hand one a while back when putting on the heated grips.
Trick is to just loosen the screw and then work the whole thing off, not undo it completely.

"How did you reciver the nut", I hear you ask.... Smile
Well, in a stroke of genius I super-glued the long bolt to a long screwdriver, and then poked it down the bar and engaged the nut, gave it a couple of turns and pulled it out. (Keep you mind above you navels, please).
Then a quck sideways tap on the bench and the bolt broke free from the screwdriver - super-glue has very strong face to face bond strength, but poor torsional strength, so any sideways movement will generally break the bond.

Rabid_Canine

Back to top Go down

Post  Bhoffo Mon 29 Aug 2011, 9:54 am

I check mine fairly regularly... have found them a little loose but never loose enough to fall completely out. Wonder if a little silicon on the bolt might help it stay tight in the nut?? Question

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 29 Aug 2011, 10:32 am

Bhoffo wrote:I check mine fairly regularly... have found them a little loose but never loose enough to fall completely out. Wonder if a little silicon on the bolt might help it stay tight in the nut?? Question

That would work if you thought you would never want to get them off.

I think the secret is to check then every 2,000km or so. They'll either be tight or not. Just something thats easily over looked.
I'm pissed off because I knew mine had a habit of working loose.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Check Your Bar End Weights! Empty Bar end weights

Post  Baker Street Mon 29 Aug 2011, 1:59 pm

Ive only had the bike 3 days and the first thing I did was to remove mine to fit bar end mirrors so I can better check out those high speed idiots coming up from behind who think they are at Eastern Creek or Philip Is.
Baker Street

Baker Street

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 29 Aug 2011, 6:41 pm

We will need pics of those B.S. Embarassed Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Check Your Bar End Weights! Empty Check Your Bar End Weights!

Post  Baker Street Tue 30 Aug 2011, 11:07 pm

Gus everyone is very welcome to see piccies of my mirrors mate but I have a problem.......

I hate computers so Im sorry but I need help in learning how to upload piccies onto this forum.
I'd find a 6year old kid to do it but my own grandkids are still in nappies, so I guess I need some outside help here mate.
Maybe you or somebody can offer some extremely simple step by step instructions to enable me to do this.

FYI, I bought these mirrors for my Honda CB400 and they looked great so I kept them for the Bandit. They came from a shop called something like MotoCiclo? which is I think on The Princes Highway, Alexandria, Sydney. They will be on the web and are the local Royal Enfield & I think maybe Moto Guzzi distributors too.

The mirrors were very keenly priced I recall and available in both Trapezoidal type (like mine) or Circular.
Two finishes are available: Stainless Steel mirror with chromed cast aluminium bracket or completely Black finish.

One problem is that the brake and clutch levers are far too long on the Bandit and they foul the mirror brackets so I had to move the whole lever assy's inboard toward the centre of the bar to clear. I would really recommend a set of short Pazzo type levers (or similar) There is a good webpage (Hong Kong site) that sells Pazzo look alikes for a fraction of the cost. I will check it out and post details ASAP.

I read on this site recently that somebody thought they gained a greater mechanical advantage by shifting the levers inwards.
I agree this is improved but let's get one thing straight. Moving the levers inboard didnt make any difference to the 'potential leverage' at all. Leverage is set by the point at where the pressure is applied along the length of the lever from a fixed fulcrum point and this wont change by moving the assemblies inward.

What I believe actually happened is that at the point along the lever at which this riders fingers applied pressure when it was in its original position, was somewhere nearer the centre of the lever. Probably where his middle finger rests.
Now that the lever assy's have been moved inwards, this 'middle finger' pressure point position, is now further out towards the extremity of the lever so he is now able to use a bit more of the levers available length and thus realise more of its potential leverage capability.

Now before anybody raises a middle finger at me! It is a really remote possibility that I could be wrong here. Very unlikely, but possible.
As I admitted to my dear wife some time ago: "Yes I was wrong once Darling. It was that time when I said I was wrong, but turned out later that I wasnt"

Yes I'm still suffering for that one too.

Baker Street

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Wed 31 Aug 2011, 6:04 am

A lot of people ask how to upload pics myself included . I'm useless on a computer so i'll have to leave it up to someone who can explain it .
There is a process show on the forum under "NOTICES " top of forum page . I use photobucket (you have to join ) I had trouble turning the computer on .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:41 am

Baker Street wrote:Gus everyone is very welcome to see piccies of my mirrors mate but I have a problem.......

Click on this link for step by step instructions https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t1283-posting-photos-a-picture-story

Click on this for a video of another way https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t1283p15-posting-photos-a-picture-story#12573 or http://www.vimeo.com/23673212

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum