Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buying accessories in OZ

+4
dhula
Dekenai
reddog
Bandit46
8 posters

Go down

Buying accessories in OZ Empty Buying accessories in OZ

Post  Bandit46 Fri 22 Apr 2011, 6:59 am

I am into my 4th year of 1250sa ownership,quite like it but recently decided to add some accessories.The price of buying most things in Australia outrageous.When I look at the prices of especially tyres in the USA what a difference to the way we are being exploited and I understand USA market volume,ozzy dollar blah blah blah but all the same it would be nice to access some of those tyres.I guess ths subject has come up many times before but I am new to this forum.
Bandit46
Bandit46

Back to top Go down

Buying accessories in OZ Empty Re: Buying accessories in OZ

Post  reddog Fri 22 Apr 2011, 7:14 pm

Get them from the states. www.jakewilson.com

To the door in 3 days is awesome at $274ish a pair for Bridgstone 023's. Fantastic value
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Buying accessories in OZ Empty Bike tyres

Post  Bandit46 Sat 23 Apr 2011, 12:08 pm

Gdáy 'Reddog,thanks for the info.I did replyto you earlier this morning but my lack of knowlege of computers I probably sent the reply to someone in Tasmania.They certainly are cheap tyres but getting someone to fit them in Perth could be a problem.
Bandit46
Bandit46

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sat 23 Apr 2011, 2:29 pm

Try your local bike shops. The one near my work charges $15 per wheel off the bike, or $20 per wheel on.
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sat 23 Apr 2011, 4:09 pm

Bandit: didn't have an issue getting them fitted in Bunbury. If a bike shop refuses to fit them I'd go elsewhere and tell them then and there that they'll never get a cent out of you again.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sat 23 Apr 2011, 5:52 pm

There are a few bike shops around Perth that will fit tyres for a small fee. Highest I've been quoted over the phone was $35 per tyre if the bike is still attached.

I'm debating getting tyres now (AUD and all that) and getting all the gear to change the tyres myself (still don't have bike specific levers cause I'm a slack arse) and trying dyna beads instead of wheel weights.
I've got 2 bikes that will be due for tyres in around 5000kms so the tyres won't be sitting for too long I don't think

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Pops Sat 23 Apr 2011, 7:52 pm

Did my tyres myself last week after having them delivered from Jake Wilson.

Go onto u tube & checkout how to do it all, from removing the wheels & then fitting tyres. Hardest part was breaking the bead but once that was done used large screwdrivers to remove tyres they did the trick.

I hadn't changed a bike tyre before but all went well. Now have nice new cheap set of PR2's installed for $320 AUD.

I'm in Perth & more than happy to help if you are close.

Pops

Red 2015 GSF 1250S
Pops
Pops

Back to top Go down

Buying accessories in OZ Empty Tyre fitting in Perth

Post  Bandit46 Sun 24 Apr 2011, 6:07 am

Thanks for the info fellow Banditeers,my only recent Soosooki experience (formerly BMW and Trumpet rider)is with Witch at Rockingham and when I took the beast down last tuesday to have the recall rectifier fitted I mentioned USA prices for accessories and he gave me a bit of a lecture and at 64 I don't need lectures from bikeshop owners but I will order the tyres from Jakes and work out later where to get them fitted.Sure is good to be on this forum.PS in another life had a brand new GT750 and then later a GT250 hustler for commuting.
Bandit46
Bandit46

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sun 24 Apr 2011, 7:07 am

Bandit46 wrote: at 64 I don't need lectures from bikeshop owners

Ah so, the '46' in Bandit46 is not a reference to Valentino Rossi after all Smile
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Buying accessories in OZ Empty Valentino Rossi

Post  Bandit46 Sun 24 Apr 2011, 7:41 am

Nope just my age,and being divorced the last 10+ years the only thing I get my leg over has 2 wheels not 2 legs.
Bandit46
Bandit46

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Fri 06 May 2011, 2:43 pm

Let them lecture you all they want. At the end of the day they are crying into their tea cup because they are ripping us all off. With the Aussie dollar so strong, if they can't come close to what we can buy it for off the internet with shipping then they can jump in the lake. If they want your money then they should be bending over backwards not lecturing you.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Fri 06 May 2011, 3:10 pm

Your not wrong COOLANT .2 bikes = 6 litres they only had litre bottles $13 a ltr=$80 NO WAY im paying that . PR3 front $250' Mad
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 06 May 2011, 4:03 pm

Bandit46 wrote:Thanks for the info fellow Banditeers,my only recent Soosooki experience (formerly BMW and Trumpet rider)is with Witch at Rockingham and when I took the beast down last tuesday to have the recall rectifier fitted I mentioned USA prices for accessories and he gave me a bit of a lecture and at 64 I don't need lectures from bikeshop owners but I will order the tyres from Jakes and work out later where to get them fitted.Sure is good to be on this forum.PS in another life had a brand new GT750 and then later a GT250 hustler for commuting.

So we ignore the commercial rents and the capital outlay of stocking dozens of tyres and the bad debts all bike businesses carry not to mention the on-costs of paying staff and utilities?
Personally I think it’s a bit rude to walk up and announce I bought a cheap set of hoops from OS and please sir can you fit them for your regular fitting price.

I even bought a pair of gloves I didn’t really need when I did the recall this week because I want a good relationship with my local shop. I wasn’t asked to or pressured to but they have looked after me in the past and sometimes its worth repaying the favour.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Fri 06 May 2011, 5:45 pm

I don't think it's rude. It's business. They either take every bit they can get or none at all. To be honest I thought about buying the equipment to fit my own tyres. That way I don't have to stuff around travelling over 100km's and waiting for tyres to be changed.

If the retail outlets weren't charging us double or more when our dollar is so strong we'd be buying local. It's as simple as that.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  jaba01 Fri 06 May 2011, 6:37 pm

Unfortunately the actual dealers at the coal face aren't usually the problem.

It's the importer whom I would like a cost break down from? I believe they do get hit with duty & GST which can add a bit of cost but I don't see it being a huge amount.

I will try & support the local dealers where I can, but if it's a bigger ticket item & I can source it at considerably lower cost I will buy online.

Our dollar is strong but do we see consumable items coming down due to it???? Not in this state anyway! Crying or Very sad
jaba01
jaba01

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Fri 06 May 2011, 10:00 pm

Buy something from OS that cost more than $1g and you pay tax and duty on no matter who you are.
Last time this happened to me it was what ever the total that was listed on the invoice etc converted into AUD at the time it landed that they used. (I cocked up my calculations and got stung the taxes. The buggers at the boarder wouldn't release my goods until I paid either)

Stay under the $1g mark and you don't pay tax etc (yet as I'm sure it will change soon), this is oneof the reasons we can get stuff form OS for so much cheaper.

Speaking with one retailer, he reckoned that his cost price on some tyres was more then we can get them landed from JW. How true that is I don't know but can't see any reason to doubt it.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down