Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SA catchup in Strathalbyn

3 posters

Go down

SA catchup in Strathalbyn Empty SA catchup in Strathalbyn

Post  Chook Sun 24 Feb 2019, 8:42 pm

After a few weeks of planning the day was here, forecast mid 30's in Adelaide, 35 where we were finishing and only 26 where we were headed earlier in the day

There were 2 groups heading into Strath,

One was myself, paul, Davo1063 and gflennmcc

The other, madmax, Kim (Mrs madmax), a mate of mine from Coonalpyn, Graeme and his partner Carol.

madmax and Kim had left suburban Melbourne the day before and travelled to Mt Gambier on the Friday, Saturday they left the Mount and headed West stopping at Meningie to meet up with Graeme and Carol, then possibly catch us somewhere en route during our day tour. A winery near Langhornes Creek got in the way of that meetup, by all accounts a great time was had by all, Bryan can fill the gaps here  Very Happy

Cal has been bikeless for a few years while he pursues other interests, Strath is his town so it was catch up time for the 1st time since the infamous Edenhope SA/Vic meetup in 2015

SA catchup in Strathalbyn 1-Strath-ride-complete

getting through the suburbs
SA catchup in Strathalbyn 2-Getting-through-the-suburbs-and-meeting-up

glennmcc rode over to my place in the Western Suburbs, at about 10:30 we headed to pick up Davo1063 (who had ridden in from Whyalla the day before) from his mates place he was staying at. Davo' mate and another bloke tagged along for a while on their Harleys, much to the suprise of Paul when he heard them rumble into his street with us.

From paul's we continued South and as we hit Main South Rd at Aldinga we waved good bye to the Harleys, that should have been the end for mechanical issues for the day, right? Well sort of, I was leading and a bit over a km up the road I glanced in my mnirrors after going around a bend and the 3 headlights that were in my mirror 30 seconds earlier were gone  Question
I pulled up and waited for about a minute then finally managed a U turn on one of SA's most ridiculously busy single lane highways, not far past the bend there they were, 2 GSX's and a GSF sitting on the side of the road with paul giving me a flat tyre signal, another dodgy U Turn and I pulled up next to them, Glenn had a flat rear.

SA catchup in Strathalbyn 3-Aldinga-to-Myponga-Dam

Bottom of the beautiful McLaren Vale wine region
SA catchup in Strathalbyn Aldinga-Puncture-hold-up

between the 4 of us we had 4 snot repair kits and David had a compressor,

SA catchup in Strathalbyn Glenn-plug-repair-Aldinga

The compressor started to get slow after 20psi so we headed the km back to a servo and used their air to finish.

Then the short ride up Sellicks Hill along the coast and soon after heading inland through the gorge we turned off and headed towards the Myponga Reservoir dam wall and lookout

SA catchup in Strathalbyn Myponga-Dam-1

SA catchup in Strathalbyn Myponga-Dam-2

SA catchup in Strathalbyn Myponga-Dam-3

After a photo op at the lookout we headed over the dam wall ond onto Carakalinga and another stop at Normanville Beach

SA catchup in Strathalbyn 4-Myponga-Dam-to-Normanville-Beach

SA catchup in Strathalbyn Normanville-Beach-1

SA catchup in Strathalbyn Normanville-Brach-2

After a short stop we hopped back on, rejoined Main South Rd and headed along some really picturesque coast line before the road headed back into the hills and Valleys of the Fleurieu Peninsula

SA catchup in Strathalbyn 5-Normanville-Beach-to-Delamere

At Delamere we turned onto Range Road, one of my favourites, it never fails to put a smile on my dial, it's only problem is hanging onto your licence  Evil or Very Mad

SA catchup in Strathalbyn 6-Range-Rd-Waitpinga-Rd-keep-your-licence-Rd

This road rums along the top of a range for nearly 50km, lots and lots of big sweepers, corners that make you want to twist the throttle hard. I dont know how many times I came out of a corner, saw I was doing 1**kmh nut it still felt 30, 40 or 50 kmh too slow.
We pulled up at Victor Harbor for lunch, David took off his helmet and the smile said it all  Very Happy  Very Happy

After German Hotdogs from a local legend we headed back across the pennisula on a nother "Put A Smile On Your Dial" road, Inman Valley Rd

SA catchup in Strathalbyn 7-Inman-Valley-Rd-smile-on-your-dial-RD-2

Another 30+km of twisties and sweepers and we again rejoined Main South Rd at Yankalila, about 3km from where we had rejoined it earlier.

SA catchup in Strathalbyn 8-Yankallila-to-Myponga

The 1st few km towards Myponga is the wiindiest part of this B road and real fun without tintops getting in your way, unfortunately there were a few on that stretch.

15km later after riding past the other side of the reservoir we reach Myponga and the Smiling Samoyed Brewery where we stopped to wash down lunch. We had to make careful selections, most were well over 6%

SA catchup in Strathalbyn Smiling-Samoyed-Brewery-Myponga-1

SA catchup in Strathalbyn Smiling-Samoyed-Brewery-Myponga-2

Back on the bikkes and just past the outskirts of town we turned towards Mt Compass only a few hundred metres down the road from where we'd left Main South Rd earlier to head towards the dam wall.

SA catchup in Strathalbyn 9-Smiling-Samoyed-Myponga-to-Mt-Compass

The ride across towards Mt Compass was pretty uneventful, thankfully I was taking it easy as one of the local constabulary rounded a bend and passed us going the other way.

At Mt Compass it was time for David to refuel, then we headed for our final destination

SA catchup in Strathalbyn 10-Mt-Compass-Ashbourne-Strath

The road out of Mt Compass doesn't disappoint either, just before Ashbourne we rode through a full canopy cover

SA catchup in Strathalbyn Bull-Creek-Rd-near-Ashbourne

.......and then onto Strathalbyn and the Victoria Hotel where Bryan, Kim, Graeme and Carol had already checked in.

A quick shower and some cooler clothes and we headed out to the footpath tables for a beer or 2 or 3 or 4 ...........

Graeme had a couple of mates join us from tea, I had a friend from the footy drop pasty for a couple of drinks, tea done, more drinks, pizzas about 11:30 from the bar and by midnight we were all tucked away in bed.

About 7:30 I woke and headed to the bakery a few doors down for coffe and bumped into madmax and Kim who were getting ready for a early start on what was to be a long hot ride to Warrnambool.

SA catchup in Strathalbyn Eating-Breakfast-in-Strath

Before 8:30, Paul and I were packed and on the rad home, at Clarendon we stopped for a minute or 2 then Paul headed for the Southern Suburbs and I headed for home

SA catchup in Strathalbyn Two-Black-ones-in-Clarendon

By 9:30 I was home well before the heat set in and spent thew next couple of hours planning the next overnighter Paul, Graeme and myself are planning in April, a mid week trip to Peterborough to check out their local Motorcycle museum and Steamtown, the old ANR rail yards where the standard gauge met the broad gauge,

Everyone else that was there, please help fill in the gaps

cheers

Chook
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

SA catchup in Strathalbyn Empty Re: SA catchup in Strathalbyn

Post  paul Sun 24 Feb 2019, 9:14 pm

Great report ,couldn't have put it better myself ...............the grandkids were pretty impressed with the bikes as well .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  glennmcc Mon 25 Feb 2019, 1:45 pm

Dave and I emerged to our bikes at about the same time (9.45ish). 

He was about to head off back to town, before returning to Whyalla.

I had to add some air to my rear tyre, the boss and I had a bit of walk around Strath before we headed home.

I went home via Macclesfield, Echunga, Hahndorf, and Balhannah, before doing Greenhill road back to suburbia.

Guess I will need to visit GCs again for a new rear tyre, it doesn't like being over 20psi

2004 CT 110
glennmcc
glennmcc

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 25 Feb 2019, 8:15 pm

glennmcc wrote:Dave and I emerged to our bikes at about the same time (9.45ish). 

He was about to head off back to town, before returning to Whyalla.

I had to add some air to my rear tyre, the boss and I had a bit of walk around Strath before we headed home.

I went home via Macclesfield, Echunga, Hahndorf, and Balhannah, before doing Greenhill road back to suburbia.

Guess I will need to visit GCs again for a new rear tyre, it doesn't like being over 20psi

A weekend away , AND a nice shiny new tyre ................spoiled rotten LOL

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 25 Feb 2019, 9:09 pm

Lucky it was near enough due for replacement anyway, believe me,much worse on a tyre with 10k left on it  Mad
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum