Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Upgrades time. (and getting the bike back on the road)

+2
gus
Someone
6 posters

Go down

Upgrades time. (and getting the bike back on the road) Empty Upgrades time. (and getting the bike back on the road)

Post  Someone Thu 13 Apr 2017, 11:17 am

Hey All

Its been an age since I posted here but its been a while since I have been out on the bike. As such it needs a bit of work. 

Bike currently has bitubo fork internals and the rear shock is stuffed... its like a bouncy castle back there. I am a big bloke 130ish KG and occasionally take a pillion.

I am thinking the below is where we are at to get me back on the road and happy with the bike. Any recommendations or comments on prices? Prices apart from the rear shock are all guesses.

Chain + Sprockets = $350
Oil + Filter = $120
Brake Pads Front and Rear = $120
Rear shock = $1300 - Ohlins SU103 S46HR1C1S
Brake and clutch fluid = $30
Air Filter = $50
Brake and Clutch lines: $200

Someone

Back to top Go down

Upgrades time. (and getting the bike back on the road) Empty Re: Upgrades time. (and getting the bike back on the road)

Post  gus Thu 13 Apr 2017, 2:55 pm

i recently rode  4 tl1000s 's with different rear shock
Standard rotary thingo
Bitubo
R1 rear shock
Ohlins
Buy far the best for value was the R1 rear shock
Will it fit ?,no idea but id being checking before going the Ohlins way .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Upgrades time. (and getting the bike back on the road) Empty Re: Upgrades time. (and getting the bike back on the road)

Post  Someone Thu 13 Apr 2017, 3:09 pm

Reason for the Ohlins is the remote preload adjustment. I often take the wife on the back. Bitubo also has one but it seems to be more $$$

Someone

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Thu 13 Apr 2017, 3:20 pm

Your prices seem pretty close. You might do the oil and filter for less (about $25 for the filter, $50 for the oil).  Like many things, the price depends on the quality - I've never been game to use cheap filters and oil. Same with the chain - quite a few options with varying prices. eBay gives a pretty good indication.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Someone Thu 13 Apr 2017, 4:37 pm

Any other recommendations of things to look at. Tyres are pretty good. I cant think of anything else.

Someone

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Thu 13 Apr 2017, 5:57 pm

You'll still need a decent spring in the shock for it to work properly. I'd be speaking to some local suspension guys or you may be throwing money at a problem you are not going to fix properly.

If your Bandit is non ABS the 07 GSXR unit fits, but again you'll need a spring rated for your weight or it'll still feel terrible.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  NZspokes Sat 15 Apr 2017, 5:08 am

For what you want, it will have to be a shock sprung and valved to you. Nitrons are a great option.
NZspokes
NZspokes

Back to top Go down

Post  Someone Sat 15 Apr 2017, 12:10 pm

@reddog

do you know anyone in WA?

I would have assumed when ordering the Ohlins and supplying my weight it would be supplied to suit?

Someone

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sat 15 Apr 2017, 12:47 pm

Dynotime used to get a good wrap. In Bunbury you are probably best off speaking with Motorcycle engineering
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sat 15 Apr 2017, 4:15 pm

Hi mate.
Sorry, but I don`t know what bike you have. 1200, or 1250?
You say your 130kg`s, and sometimes carry a pillion. With the combined weight, does the bike take off reasonably well, or do you have to fan the clutch a bit?

Just in saying that, if you own the 1200, it may be worth trying a slightly lower gearing?
The 1250 has that little extra punch down low, so will probably cope all right with standard gearing.

I`m 85kg, and I rarely use to carry anyone, before I converted to single rego, but when I have, I`ve had a mate on the back for a short distance who weighed 95kg, and on a hill start, I had to ride the clutch to get it going, but that's on a 1200. Once moving, it`s all good, just city riding wasn`t fun.
Just a thought.

99 Gen 1. Impressed with.  (New)
03 Gen 2. Love hate relationship.  (15yrs)
07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L  (4yrs)
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Someone Sat 15 Apr 2017, 11:43 pm

Bike is a 2007 1250S

Bike is a bit slower off line line 2 up but I don't consciously fan the clutch on take off. That being said I am not looking to win any races with my riding style. Still happy splitting to the font of the lights and taking off without holding up cars ect. If anything its the brakes that are underwhelming 2 up.

Someone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down