Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Generation 2 B1200 headlight dust fix

2 posters

Go down

Generation 2 B1200 headlight dust fix Empty Generation 2 B1200 headlight dust fix

Post  Ironman Sun 08 May 2016, 3:46 pm

Anyone notice the black dust collecting inside their Gen2 headlight making its effectiveness like a old school dolphin torch with a half flat battery?
Its the self tapping screws vibrating loose which retain the projectors. This vibration of the projectors wears the zinc metal and produces this dust.
Anyhow pull the assembly out of the bike. Put it into the oven at approx 80degC for 10 mins this softens the goo which retains the lens. Pull it out and prise the  the lens away. Have some thread locker handy when you re attach the projectors lock these screws in place otherwise it will just happen again. Clean the projectors and the reflector and the lens. Make sure no fingerprints remain. Refit it all but leave the two halves seperate.
reheat the two assemblies for about 10 mins again then refit the two halves. Problem solved.

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Generation 2 B1200 headlight dust fix Empty Re: Generation 2 B1200 headlight dust fix

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 12 May 2016, 2:31 pm

While you were at it, you should have taken out the blind in your high beam, you don`t need it, and it helps with the light throw to improve high beam.

I`ve also modified my low beam blind.  You will notice, all gen 2`s, they`ve got a straight line cut off across the road. The light, doesn`t raise slightly to the left edge of the road, as most vehicles are designed, so you don`t have a blind spot at night for prospective animals etc:

This one mod alone that I did, has allowed me to confidently ride at night when I do my 600km stints.

I think its a very unsafe, and poor design, that has allowed it to be a straight line projection of light.

99 Gen 1. Impressed with.  (New)
03 Gen 2. Love hate relationship.  (15yrs)
07 DRZ 400e. Lot of fun with no power. 25 km/L  (4yrs)
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum