Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ventura finally gets some common sense

+4
barry_mcki
madmax
Nic 2
#Tag
8 posters

Go down

Ventura finally gets some common sense Empty Ventura finally gets some common sense

Post  #Tag Tue 12 Jan 2016, 2:26 pm

Ventura have finally ceased their ridiculous practice of requiring you to buy one of their bags before they will sell you a rack (ignoring the "if you cut the label out of an existing bag you own and present it to a distributor then you don't have to buy a bag" period)

For seven years on the Bandit, I've used a rack made of the back of a kitchen chair and some leftover flat bar rather than a Ventura.

Now that a common sense decision has been made, I trotted straight of to a distributor and purchased one of their now fine products.
Twas the ubiquitous touring rack of course, now at $305 and I didn't have to add to the pile of their cheapest bags lying in the bottom of a cupboard from other bikes I've owned.
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Ventura finally gets some common sense Empty Re: Ventura finally gets some common sense

Post  Nic 2 Tue 12 Jan 2016, 2:41 pm

They may be getting some common sense but how's the wall thickness of the tubing. Did you see my Top Box Debacle thread? Never again.  https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t5918-top-box-debacle
Nic 2
Nic 2

Back to top Go down

Ventura finally gets some common sense Empty Re: Ventura finally gets some common sense

Post  #Tag Tue 12 Jan 2016, 3:19 pm

Yep, Nic, I saw that one.    I've never put heavy loads on Venturas because of that. I don't carry a pillion very often and put the main load backwards (eerm, or forwards) on the rack where the pillion seat takes the weight.
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic 2 Tue 12 Jan 2016, 4:11 pm

Yeah I'd rather not be a top box bloke, still reckon it looks naf, it was on the bike when I bought it a year ago n I've found it real handy, probably said all that in the other thread. I now have a couple of grab rails that I fitted so I can now oky strap stuff on the rear seat as well but that box is bloody handy. Oh well, my home made rack is under construction n I can't see the box coming off again, famous last words Rolling Eyes The problem is if the box is only supported at the front it will wiggle up n down until it finally breaks lose.
Nic 2
Nic 2

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Tue 12 Jan 2016, 8:50 pm

Nic - not sure if you have looked at the Givi mounts closely, but they mount at the two grab rail bolts as well as a third point at the pillion pegs, you should be able to make something similar:

Ventura finally gets some common sense Top_mo10

Ventura finally gets some common sense Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic 2 Tue 12 Jan 2016, 9:17 pm

Thanks Barry, food or thought.
Nic 2
Nic 2

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Tue 12 Jan 2016, 10:16 pm

Nic 2 wrote:Yeah I'd rather not be a top box bloke, still reckon it looks naf, it was on the bike when I bought it a year ago n I've found it real handy, probably said all that in the other thread. I now have a couple of grab rails that I fitted so I can now oky strap stuff on the rear seat as well but that box is bloody handy. Oh well, my home made rack is under construction n I can't see the box coming off again, famous last words Rolling Eyes The problem is if the box is only supported at the front it will wiggle up n down until it finally breaks lose.

Yeah your right top boxes do look shit, but they are just too damn handy to not have one. Mine pretty much is on the bike all the time, I use it all the time. When I on a long ride I can use it as a suitcase and just unclip it and take it with me. I tried bags and they just didn't cut it. So I'll put up with the ugliness.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Tue 12 Jan 2016, 10:36 pm

I hardly notice it on mine Rolling Eyes

Ventura finally gets some common sense Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:05 am

Nic 2 wrote:They may be getting some common sense but how's the wall thickness of the tubing. Did you see my Top Box Debacle thread? Never again.  https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t5918-top-box-debacle

If my Ventura rack can handle a big thumping vibrating Firestorm without issue I reckon they're ok.
The come with clear load limit instructions and if you follow that with regular checks you'll be right.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic 2 Thu 14 Jan 2016, 10:18 am

2wheelsagain wrote:
Nic 2 wrote:They may be getting some common sense but how's the wall thickness of the tubing. Did you see my Top Box Debacle thread? Never again.  https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t5918-top-box-debacle

If my Ventura rack can handle a big thumping vibrating Firestorm without issue I reckon they're ok.
The come with clear load limit instructions and if you follow that with regular checks you'll be right.
Good one, there was nuthin in mine when it snapped off, oh it was great UNTIL Rolling Eyes
Nic 2
Nic 2

Back to top Go down

Ventura finally gets some common sense Empty Home made Rack

Post  Nic 2 Fri 15 Jan 2016, 11:24 am

Well my new RJays top box arrived so I was able to work on the rack. RJay stuff I find better than cheap crap, not expensive but at least good enough to be worth the expense even though this box and the smaller one for the Honda both would not lock onto the plate without a bit of simple engineering, pretty poor really but other than that I find their top boxes are a decent investment.
So the rack, I wanted to put a strut each side at the rear to remove the wobble. I decided to keep the 2 Ventura curved bars that bolt to where the grab rail usually goes, the tubing looks thick enough.
First I found some solid steel rod the right size to go into the Ventura arms, I welded the solid rod to a piece of 5mil X 25mil steel bar. I then used a sheet of 3mil steel and bolted that to the steel bar in 3 places. I welded rear brackets onto the sheet and made up a couple of struts. I decided to anchor the struts at the larger rear 8mil bolts at the grab rail. This is the problem area for me, I wanted to have rear struts but there's nowhere to bolt them on and to run a strut from the rear foot rest exceeded my allowance for ugliness so I anchored them where I did, it seems to add the necessary rigidity I was after. It's solid now, a little weighty with the 3mil plate but I'm reasonably confident it will last the test of time. With the box mounted, when I pull on the box hard the only flex now is the floor of the box itself. So the RJays mounting plate didn't cave in with the 4 mounting bolts pull I made up small pieces of wood that are 1mil shorter than the height of the plate, I drilled 6mil holes throught the blocks of wood and the mounting bolts go through them. I can now tension the bolts nice n tight without the plate deforming. Nyloc nuts were used on all bolts.
Here're some pics of the eyesore top box.
Ventura finally gets some common sense Top_bo10
Ventura finally gets some common sense Top_bo11
Ventura finally gets some common sense New_to10

Last edited by Nic 2 on Fri 15 Jan 2016, 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nic 2
Nic 2

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Fri 15 Jan 2016, 2:07 pm

Nic 2 wrote:
Here're some pics of the eyesore now reliable top box.

#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 15 Jan 2016, 9:40 pm

Nic 2 wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:

Good one, there was nuthin in mine when it snapped off, oh it was great UNTIL Rolling Eyes
Why the eye roll? You've had shit in it at some stage I bet.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Sat 16 Jan 2016, 7:32 am

Nice work, Nic. 
Looks nice and solid.  Very Happy
You even painted it!
I must get around to putting some paint on my racking, one day.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic 2 Sat 16 Jan 2016, 9:17 am

2wheelsagain wrote:
Nic 2 wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:

It was ok UNTIL it snapped off is why the eye roll, geezus mate, sure I've had shit in it but never more than maybe 5 kilos. Another thing I discovered with the Ventura rack, it is all brazed together, no welding, brazing is notorious for letting go, makes a good filler though, if it happens to you I bet you'll be real happy esp if you have some valuables in it and try as you might, you can't find it out there on the hiway. It changes the game IMO, I couldn't put another Ventura rack on and feel confident, before i just took it for granted that all would be well. Actually I probably would use another Ventura but I'd brace it at the rear like i did here, probably be OK then.
Nic 2
Nic 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic 2 Sat 16 Jan 2016, 9:18 am

Bosco15 wrote:Nice work, Nic. 
You even painted it!
Thanks mate, paint is wrinkle finish, covers stuff without needing much prep and it looks good too, stinks bad when spraying it though.
Nic 2
Nic 2

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 16 Jan 2016, 5:32 pm

Nic 2 wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:
Nic 2 wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:

It was ok UNTIL it snapped off is why the eye roll, geezus mate, sure I've had shit in it but never more than maybe 5 kilos. Another thing I discovered with the Ventura rack, it is all brazed together, no welding, brazing is notorious for letting go, makes a good filler though, if it happens to you I bet you'll be real happy esp if you have some valuables in it and try as you might, you can't find it out there on the hiway. It changes the game IMO, I couldn't put another Ventura rack on and feel confident, before i just took it for granted that all would be well. Actually I probably would use another Ventura but I'd brace it at the rear like i did here, probably be OK then.
Fair enough. 
Thought the eye roll was directed at me Ventura finally gets some common sense 959052286

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Sat 16 Jan 2016, 6:24 pm

Nic 2 wrote:
You even painted it!
Thanks mate, paint is wrinkle finish, covers stuff without needing much prep and it looks good too, stinks bad when spraying it though.

Ahh, the old "Scrotum" paint, hey?
Nicely, nicely.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic 2 Sat 16 Jan 2016, 6:37 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:
Nic 2 wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:
Nic 2 wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:

Fair enough. 
Thought the eye roll was directed at me Ventura finally gets some common sense 959052286
Would I do that Smile
Nic 2
Nic 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sun 17 Jan 2016, 8:14 am

Bosco15 wrote:
Nic 2 wrote:
You even painted it!

Nicely, nicely.

What colour's yours Bosco  ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Sun 17 Jan 2016, 8:42 am

Hammy wrote:
Bosco15 wrote:
Nic 2 wrote:
You even painted it!

Nicely, nicely.

Lol. I still haven't painted mine.

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 17 Jan 2016, 12:24 pm

Bosco15 wrote:
Hammy wrote:
Bosco15 wrote:
Nic 2 wrote:
You even painted it!

Nicely, nicely.

Lol. I still haven't painted mine.
Waiting for a special occasion ?  Laughing

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Sun 17 Jan 2016, 6:32 pm

Special occasion?  Like going to a ball?
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down