Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brakes upgrade

+4
#Tag
Bandakias
reddog
2wheelsagain
8 posters

Go down

Brakes upgrade Empty Brakes upgrade

Post  Bandakias Mon 14 Dec 2015, 3:30 am

Ηι, today i installed a M/c brembo 18/19. This m/c is from ducati 999.
The result is much firmer lever ,and  more progressive. Also i notice that ABS is working better. The interference of it is smoother.
Next step i am going to fit sv1000 caliper.

Brakes upgrade WP_20151213_16_41_26_Pro

Bandakias

Back to top Go down

Brakes upgrade Empty Re: Brakes upgrade

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 14 Dec 2015, 9:19 am

Sounds like a good result.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Mon 14 Dec 2015, 9:25 am

What did it set you back for the brembo Mc if you don't mind me asking?
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Bandakias Mon 14 Dec 2015, 4:45 pm

reddog wrote:What did it set you back for the brembo Mc if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry, but i do not understand the question

Bandakias

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Mon 14 Dec 2015, 5:39 pm

Reddog asked -

Πόσο έκανε το κύριο κόστος του κυλίνδρου , παρακαλώ   Smile  (I hope I haven't asked "how much does a donkey cost" because of Google Translate)

Changing from an axial m/c to a radial m/c seems to the help the Bandit a lot  Brakes upgrade 959052286

We will be happy to hear if you like the SV calipers.

Last edited by #Tag on Mon 14 Dec 2015, 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Mon 14 Dec 2015, 5:41 pm

Bandakias wrote:
reddog wrote:What did it set you back for the brembo Mc if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry, but i do not understand the question

how much mate, I think the lingo is................

Reddog, I got one last xmas for $300
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Bandakias Mon 14 Dec 2015, 9:59 pm

Aha, Smile 
It cost me 100 euro, second hand

Bandakias

Back to top Go down

Post  Bandakias Sat 13 Feb 2016, 9:46 pm

In the last 2 months i did some brakes upgrades. First installed a ducati brembo 18x 19 m/c. It was a good upgrade in feeling. After that i installed sv1000 calipers.
I have to mention that i always had drags from the brakes and especialy from my right caliper. The pads had univen wear which i though was from dirty sticking caliper.
When i installed the used but cleaned calipers from sv1000, i still had bad drag on rotors. Well, i though maybe bad seals. So i did installed new seals on calipers. But guess what, grag again. I noticed that the grag was from rigth caliper, left was totaly free. Anyway i though that the rotor was wraped.
Continue story.
Beside bleeding brakes was ****, there was allways a soft filling on lever as most of you mention, even with the new set up. So air to my system or bad used m/c is the proplem......
So bleeding again, order new brembo rcs m/c Brakes upgrade Lol2 ,put suzuki m/c again, and check the bad draging right caliper fot 10th time....
After About 300 miles there was uneven wear on new installed pads. After said some Greeks words Brakes upgrade Icon_mrgreen i noticed that the caliper was not centered to the rotor in both vertical and orizontal. While applying presure to brakes i see the rotor wraping. Though that the sv caliper is bad or crashed and installed the bandit caliper to see. Quess what, it did not align with rotor.
The bike was purhased new from me and never dropped down, so the verdict and measurement shows that the fork caliper base is not correct. Propably bad production.
To end this big post, i aligned the caliper to the rotor using some spacers, and yes miracles do happens!!! feeling on the brakes, huge improvement and the drag brake gone!
I hope that my experience help some of you with bad feeling on brakes.
Sorry for my long post.

Bandakias

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sat 13 Feb 2016, 9:56 pm

Good news. So do you have a preloved mcs to sell then?  How much of so?  First dibs
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sat 13 Feb 2016, 10:58 pm

Just out of interest, I've changed the disc rotors and nothing else (except the paint on the rims).  But there is a noticeable difference in braking performance (and I don't reckon the paint had anything to do with it!).

Brakes upgrade Img_2910
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sat 13 Feb 2016, 11:01 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:Just out of interest, I've changed the disc rotors and nothing else (except the paint on the rims).  But there is a noticeable difference in braking performance (and I don't reckon the paint had anything to do with it!).

Brakes upgrade Img_2910
It could be the extra drag from those Suzuki stickers  Idea Laughing
Nice looking discs ..............

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Sun 14 Feb 2016, 10:47 am

Thanks for the update Bandakais  Brakes upgrade 959052286

Quick question - did you have the same rotors throughout the upgrade or were new rotors used?

If it was the same rotors had you checked to see if the rotor buttons had seized? That can also cause the problems you have. If that was the problem cleaning the rotor buttons might allow the rotor to recentralise and remove the need for the spacers.
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sun 14 Feb 2016, 5:19 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:Just out of interest, I've changed the disc rotors and nothing else (except the paint on the rims).  But there is a noticeable difference in braking performance (and I don't reckon the paint had anything to do with it!).

Brakes upgrade Img_2910
Where did you purchase those petal discs from mate?  What brand?  They look bloody good. I bought similar ebc for my mate Jimmy Bandit for his Gen 1 as the stock rotors had seen well over 100000kms of action and were out of spec. The us dollar at the time made it quite a cheap purchase from memory
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Sun 14 Feb 2016, 5:30 pm

If I can get a bit of extra info Bandakias,

The SV calipers are the same external dimensions as the Bandits?

Also are both the caliper pistons the same dimensions or a small/ large setup like the Bandit?
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 14 Feb 2016, 6:05 pm

reddog wrote:

Where did you purchase those petal discs from mate?  What brand?  They look bloody good. I bought similar ebc for my mate Jimmy Bandit for his Gen 1 as the stock rotors had seen well over 100000kms of action and were out of spec. The us dollar at the time made it quite a cheap purchase from memory

Trouble is rd, I'm shit at keeping records. The fronts came from a US supplier and the rear from the UK - both from eBay. I can do some searching to try and get an answer to your question but I think the exchange rate would now be prohibitive for both suppliers.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 14 Feb 2016, 6:47 pm

My memory may be wrong re whether they were US or UK. The fronts were from Exotic Motorsports and the rear from Extreme_Shop.  The rear isn't any better than standard but the fronts are definitely better.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Bandakias Sun 14 Feb 2016, 9:17 pm

#Tag wrote:Thanks for the update Bandakais  Brakes upgrade 959052286

Quick question - did you have the same rotors throughout the upgrade or were new rotors used?

If it was the same rotors had you checked to see if the rotor buttons had seized? That can also cause the problems you have. If that was the problem cleaning the rotor buttons might allow the rotor to recentralise and remove the need for the spacers.
I did not checked that, but i believe in that case the rotor should be waving right left when the wheel is turning.
The rotors are not new.

Bandakias

Back to top Go down

Post  Bandakias Sun 14 Feb 2016, 9:20 pm

#Tag wrote:If I can get a bit of extra info Bandakias,

Also are both the caliper pistons the same dimensions or a small/ large setup like the Bandit?
They are exactly the same size and look. The diference are the pistons size, 30x27 bandits and 34x30 sv1000.

Bandakias

Back to top Go down

Post  #Tag Sun 14 Feb 2016, 10:52 pm

Thanks, Bandakias.
#Tag
#Tag

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 15 Feb 2016, 5:21 am

Bandakias wrote:

They are exactly the same size and look. The diference are the pistons size, 30x27 bandits and 34x30 sv1000.
I'm trying to stretch the memory bank back to trade school over 30 years ago, IIRC, without changing the master cylinder, the smaller the calliper or slave cylinder piston the greater the braking force. 
Am I right in thinking with a larger piston surface area you would require greater fluid displacement (a M/C with a lager piston surface area) to apply the same force as the original Bandit callipers?
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Bandakias Mon 15 Feb 2016, 7:06 am

Chook wrote:
Bandakias wrote:

I'm trying to stretch the memory bank back to trade school over 30 years ago, IIRC, without changing the master cylinder, the smaller the calliper or slave cylinder piston the greater the braking force. 
Am I right in thinking with a larger piston surface area you would require greater fluid displacement (a M/C with a lager piston surface area) to apply the same force as the original Bandit callipers?

Yes that is the theory.

Bandakias

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Mon 15 Feb 2016, 7:07 am

Ah good, my long term memory is doing ok, if only I could remember what I did yesterday  Rolling Eyes
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum