Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What the future holds ??

+7
SuzySuzuki
Ewok1958
Hammy
Bosco15
2wheelsagain
Chook
paul
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What the future holds ?? - Page 2 Empty What the future holds ??

Post  paul Wed 23 Sep 2015, 8:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Our newish Southern Express-way has now acquired some new neon signs telling me how long my journey will take me to get to a given destination . That's very nice I thought , someone must be driving back and forth & timing the trip for me  Laughing Wrong , apparently they log onto someone's GPS & time it that way .Then I read today  they plan to log onto peoples phones to track their movements around the city precinct so they can improve infrastructure pale  .Now seeing this technology exists , how long will it be before we start to receive speeding fines in the post ( or via electronic media ) because they have worked out how long your journey has taken you & you have arrived there before you should have .  affraid Scary stuff .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

What the future holds ?? - Page 2 Empty Re: What the future holds ??

Post  paul Thu 24 Sep 2015, 6:35 pm

Hammy wrote:
paul wrote:
SuzySuzuki wrote:
Scary thought.
As for those black dildos that Chris bought, how did they even KNOW you bought them to send you those ads????
He must have been walking funny when he left the shop  Shocked Razz

2W !    Give Paul a week in the cooler for that remark.   Twisted Evil
Rolling Eyes  Some people will try anything to catch up on their post count  lol!

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  truck Sat 31 Oct 2015, 11:33 pm

paul wrote:
Chook wrote:paul, personally I think the trails that are about to happen in SA for driverless cars is more fitting of the thread title
You're not wrong ..............now I do find that bloody scary ..............we all know how reliable computers can be  & letting one drive a car for you ............no thanks . & know they do it in planes , but they don't have other planes all around them like cars on a road .

Who would get the fine in a driverless car if a speed limit was broken or a red light was run? Question  study
hmm wonder if we'll be having driver/rider-less MotoGPs any time soon . .  . you heard it here first. What the future holds ?? - Page 2 879736519

I like emoticons. Cool
truck
truck

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 01 Nov 2015, 12:07 am

truck wrote:
paul wrote:
Chook wrote:paul, personally I think the trails that are about to happen in SA for driverless cars is more fitting of the thread title
You're not wrong ..............now I do find that bloody scary ..............we all know how reliable computers can be  & letting one drive a car for you ............no thanks . & know they do it in planes , but they don't have other planes all around them like cars on a road .

Who would get the fine in a driverless car if a speed limit was broken or a red light was run? Question  study
hmm wonder if we'll be having driver/rider-less MotoGPs any time soon . .  . you heard it here first. What the future holds ?? - Page 2 879736519

I like emoticons. Cool
Presumably , they haven't taken into account computers have glitches sometimes & assume it won't happen . Evil or Very Mad
The other stupid thing they have done now with regards to overtaking push bikes giving 1mtr and 1.5mtr gap from them to you , is that now they are saying that because most of our roads aren't wide enough , we can now cross double white lines to do so , and the bikes are also allowed to ride on the foot path ...............so who pays the bill when a pedestrian gets cleaned up , or 2 vehicles have a head on ..............I think it should be the wankers who thought up these stupid laws who are held responsible . I don't know how much truth was in the article I read , but it stated amount of people consulted to find solutions to our sharing the road problems were 40 in total..................scary if it's true .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sun 01 Nov 2015, 8:08 am

paul wrote:
truck wrote:
paul wrote:

I like emoticons. Cool
Presumably , they haven't taken into account computers have glitches sometimes & assume it won't happen . Evil or Very Mad
The other stupid thing they have done now with regards to overtaking push bikes giving 1mtr and 1.5mtr gap from them to you , is that now they are saying that because most of our roads aren't wide enough , we can now cross double white lines to do so , and the bikes are also allowed to ride on the foot path ...............so who pays the bill when a pedestrian gets cleaned up , or 2 vehicles have a head on ..............I think it should be the wankers who thought up these stupid laws who are held responsible . I don't know how much truth was in the article I read , but it stated amount of people consulted to find solutions to our sharing the road problems were 40 in total..................scary if it's true .
 You've been reading the sensationalist crap the Advertiser calls news.

1/  most driver would give a rider that much room anyway, the law already stated you had to pass with a safe distance from a cyclist, now it is defined and clear
2/ To pass a cyclist (when it is safe) over double lines is not a issue like it is when you a passing a car doing 50, 60 or even faster, you are only partially on the wrong side for a few seconds, think about it, if the only thing on the road to pass were cyclists, more than 1/2 the double lines wouldn't be there.
3/ Who pays the bills when a pedestrian walks in front of a cyclist? If a cyclist hits a pedestrian riding like a dick they will be charged (BTW, as a member of BikeSA I have 3rd party cover no matter who I hit)

These "new" Road Rules are slowly being introduced Australia wide, The are part of the Australian Road Rules.

As for the call to register push bikes so "they can be identified", give me a break ffs, I see more pedestrian J walking, getting in the road of motorists, crossing on the red, most are probably the same complaining about bikes, while we're at it, why don't we make all pedestrian have registration  Rolling Eyes

Attitudes like the Advertisers cheap reporting, a couple of local radio stations out for a cheap sensationalist story and posts like yours above are 1/2 the reason the rest of the country sees us as a whinging nanny state
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 01 Nov 2015, 8:51 am

Have to disagree with some of your comments chook . 

1 Yes most people do give the average Joe riding to work etc overtaking room ...........they aren't the problem , its the wanabe lycra clad mob who ride 2 abreast on main roads who are the problen & then winge that vehicles are going too close 

2 Once something becomes law , the " I have the right to "  comes into play & with most motorists & cyclists & pedestrians all having the same attitude , shit is bound to happen. Only having cyclists on the road would be just as impractical as everyone going back to the horse and cart  or everyone riding motorcycles .

3 You may be one of the minority as a member of bike sa to have insurance , but the majority aren't members and don't with no way of identifying them in the event of anything happening  . Just watch the way the bike couriers ride around adelaide causing mayhem , or the idiots that don't think red lights mean  for them & I think registration is a great idea . 

A trip through the hills for anyone will be enough for anyone to acknowledge the danger caused by packs of push bikes 2 , 3 , or even 4 abreast on blind corners or even when not , where normally someone could overtake if they were single file , they refuse to move over & expect motorists to sit behind them for kms ..............human nature does cause people to loose their cool still , law or no law .Overtaking over double lines in riskier situations will happen .The statistics of push bike fatalities or injuries are growing alarmingly & and something has to be done ...................but not just on the part of other road users , the riders themselves also have to take responsibility & accept some change to what they are doing . perhaps better use of the many bike tracks would be a better alternative to some of the main roads ( along the southern expressway has a nice long track ). I realise they aren't in every neighbourhood , but neither are the Adelaide hills & they manage to get there ,

I realise you & others on here ride push bikes , and may take my comments as a personal affront , but my personal opinions are just that based on my experiences & not solely based on the advertiser .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 01 Nov 2015, 9:10 am

I also disagree chook.

I am also a cyclist, have been my whole life. I use to race, and love cycling.

If the "new age cyclists" haven`t got a brain in their head, and have no common sense, then get off the road!!!

I/we never use to train with the arrogance of riding anymore than single file, UNLESS, it was absolute safe to ride two abreast, and if cars were coming would conform back to single file, until possible personal threat was gone.

I don`t have a problem if I had to pay rego. I think cyclists should only be made to ride in single file, in heavy traffic, the same as drivers/riders have to give the meter law.

I see too many MAMIL(middle aged men in lycra) who have got no idea,  AND, still running red lights.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sun 01 Nov 2015, 9:25 am

This weekend I've ridden my push bike over 50 km through the city and suburbs, I've driven close to 200 km and ridden my motorbike about 80km.

On the push bike:

-4 times in the city, once in the suburbs I was nearly hit by pedestrians stepping off the path
-Travelling along Port Rd in the bike lane where the LH lane is about 1 1/2 lanes wide I was buzzed by a girl in a car while her male passenger screamed out, "you want a fucking meter I'll give you a fucking meter" as their mirror nearly hit me. I couldn't get all of the Rego (S52*****)
-Twice had cars look straight at me then put the front of the car over the bike lane to wait until I'd passed
-Nearly side swiped by a car driver on the phone
-Witnessed a cyclist ride through a give way sign and nearly hit a car, yes, I gave him a spray more so than the rest!

In the car:

Had a woman drive straight through a give way sign 100m from home and nearly take me out

On the motorbike:

- Pedestrian stepped in front of me in the city
- Riding level/just in front of driver, he changes lanes on me
- Had a car lock up their brakes and end up next to me on the median strip at the traffic lights I'd been stopped at the red light for about a minute already

Have you ever walked on the red, J walked? If you haven't I reckon you'd be the only person in Australia that never has.
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sun 01 Nov 2015, 9:29 am

I see this argument as being the same as those that oppose lane filtering.

Some motorcyclists do it safely, others don't give a toss but the tin toppers tar us all with the same brush,

Pedestrians are a far bigger problem than MOST cyclists IMHO but you never hear about then as they are usually the same people complying about everyone else but in too big a hurry to walk within the law.
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 01 Nov 2015, 9:42 am

Chook, the meter rule will never protect you against the fuckwits of the world.

Its about self preservation, and using common sense, and foresight, so to avoid any possible risk.  A Risk Assessment.

I still get yelled at.

Along with being spat at, I`ve had, eggs, bottles, cans, and steal, all thrown at me. As well as had drivers come beside me to grab my handle bars, to knock me off.

Now that cyclists have personal cameras, this has declined a lot.

Its all part of being on two wheels.

You have to respect the traffic, not think the traffic will respect you. At the end of the day, its your life.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sun 01 Nov 2015, 9:48 am

mtbeerwah wrote:Chook, the meter rule will never protect you against the fuckwits of the world.

Correct, but at least a defined measurement makes it easier to be enforced (if they are caught)

My initial response to paul was in regards to his comment "The other stupid thing they have done now with regards to overtaking push bikes giving 1mtr and 1.5mtr gap from them to you"

The rule isn't "stupid"  To use the minority of cyclist who break the law as reasoning to define a rule as stupid would make all road rules stupid, users of all vehicles break the law every minute of every day
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 01 Nov 2015, 10:30 am

Chook wrote:
mtbeerwah wrote:Chook, the meter rule will never protect you against the fuckwits of the world.

Correct, but at least a defined measurement makes it easier to be enforced (if they are caught)

My initial response to paul was in regards to his comment "The other stupid thing they have done now with regards to overtaking push bikes giving 1mtr and 1.5mtr gap from them to you"

The rule isn't "stupid"  To use the minority of cyclist who break the law as reasoning to define a rule as stupid would make all road rules stupid, users of all vehicles break the law every minute of every day
I think the 1 mtr rule is impractical and unworkable in a lot of cases , especially if cyclists aren't included in the changes to the law & have some complience put upon them , so therefore yes I think the law is stupid in its current form . you can't expect only one ( or 2 if you count the pedestrians ) to change their habits by law enforcement while at the same time not have any changes to the ones  on cyclists ..........it is after all for their benefit as well . Not all road rules are stupid obviously , and a blanket statement as such is crazy , I believe that all road users should be included in law change not just some , change has to come from all sides or as I say the law becomes a stupid one & only half addresses the problem .I saw a rider on the news the other night with a pole attached out 1mtr from the side of his bike riding down a main road ......try that in a car & see if no fine applies . There seems to be an arrogance from some cyclists which also must change . Like I said , it's not the average Joe who is the problem , but the numbers of cyclists who seem to think it should all be about them are more than just a few .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sun 01 Nov 2015, 11:03 am

I still believe the 1m/1.5m rule only gives definition to a otherwise similar existing law (we may have to agree to disagree on that one) I don't think very many drivers will have to change their driving habits to comply and the one's that didn't give that space before may still not give a toss, if it changes 1 or 2 idiots behaviour it's worth it IMHO.

As for the footpath, most cyclists hate going on the footpath as it slows you down too much, hopefully the only people that use this are those that are in a situation they feel it is too dangerous to stay on the road and ride accordingly.

As for the pole on the bike, yep, he's a bloody idiot, as are the dozens of Adelaide car/ute drivers that do the same thing daily, most of them don't get caught either.

I see a lot of "pack riders" when I ride the coast and when I do the Eagle on the Hill ride, honestly, most of them are well behaved, keep a eye out for each other and other road users, as it is with motorcyclists, car riders, truckies etc etc, most do the right thing and go unnoticed, it is the minority of all road users that people notice, their behaviour reflects on all of us that use different forms of transport.

How would you feel if Lane Filtering gets rejected in SA because the vocal minority tag all motor cyclists with the same brush?
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 01 Nov 2015, 11:16 am

I'm not saying that a safe distance isn't a good idea , and should be in place , but so should restrictions on how cyclists use the road . Any law that still permits cyclists to ride 2 abreast in heavy traffic which causes in this case a motorist to risk a fine or place their safety at risk by having to move over to a lot less than a mtr from oncoming traffic or into the next lane of traffic while the cyclists chat merrily away for KM afterKM( South road on a Saturday morning springs to mind ) needs to be changed to suit every road user not just a select few hence my comment of it being a stupid law .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sun 01 Nov 2015, 11:25 am

paul wrote:Any law that still permits cyclists to ride 2 abreast in heavy traffic 
That's part of the existing law.

I'm about to head down your way for a few hours (family reunion  Mad ) I guess I'll have to watch out for the crazy cyclists Wink
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 01 Nov 2015, 11:27 am

I will, willingly pay rego, so that the funds go towards proper cycling lanes, so that cyclist and driver never meet.

I`m not talking about the paths that are designed for mum, dad and the kids either,
proper funded cycle lanes paid by the proceeds of rego, and fines put upon cyclists breaking the law.

Don`t need a meter law then.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 01 Nov 2015, 11:31 am

Chook wrote:
paul wrote:Any law that still permits cyclists to ride 2 abreast in heavy traffic 

I'm about to head down your way for a few hours (family reunion  Mad ) I guess I'll have to watch out for the crazy cyclists Wink
I don't think my neighbourhood is any more exempt or full of wankers than yours .................now if pushbikes had identification plates , we could have some control on the ones that flaunt the new laws . Laughing

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 01 Nov 2015, 11:41 am

mtbeerwah wrote:I will, willingly pay rego, so that the funds go towards proper cycling lanes, so that cyclist and driver never meet.

I`m not talking about the paths that are designed for mum, dad and the kids either,
proper funded cycle lanes paid by the proceeds of rego, and fines put upon cyclists breaking the law.

Great idea ...............keep them apart for safety sake & have bike tracks to main destinations ,a bit like the O barn bus  ......................unfortunately by the time the bureaucrats .........committees etc . etc. take their cut out of the proceeds ,there will be sweet F.A. money left Rolling Eyes

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 01 Nov 2015, 11:50 am

paul wrote:
mtbeerwah wrote:I will, willingly pay rego, so that the funds go towards proper cycling lanes, so that cyclist and driver never meet.

Great idea ...............keep them apart for safety sake & have bike tracks to main destinations ,a bit like the O barn bus  ......................unfortunately by the time the bureaucrats .........committees etc . etc. take their cut out of the proceeds ,there will be sweet F.A. money left Rolling Eyes

I`ll go with that famous quote...

"I, have a dream"
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sun 01 Nov 2015, 4:21 pm

paul wrote:
Chook wrote:

I don't think my neighbourhood is any more exempt or full of wankers than yours .................now if pushbikes had identification plates , we could have some control on the ones that flaunt the new laws . Laughing
I was only joking when I said " I guess I'll have to watch out for the crazy cyclists" but then...........................

About 40 minutes ago, Cnr of Panatalinga and Reynell Roads, I was turning right from Reynell to head back towards suburbia and one of you local Crazys turns from the South bound RH turn lane of Panatalinga straight across my path and up onto the footpath, yep, on a racer and fully decked out in lycra 
  What the future holds ?? - Page 2 3505673087
Chook
Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 01 Nov 2015, 6:14 pm

Chook wrote:
paul wrote:
Chook wrote:

I was only joking when I said " I guess I'll have to watch out for the crazy cyclists" but then...........................

About 40 minutes ago, Cnr of Panatalinga and Reynell Roads, I was turning right from Reynell to head back towards suburbia and one of you local Crazys turns from the South bound RH turn lane of Panatalinga straight across my path and up onto the footpath, yep, on a racer and fully decked out in lycra 
  What the future holds ?? - Page 2 3505673087
Laughing .....................and before you ask , ......no I didn't send him to prove a point  Laughing

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

What the future holds ?? - Page 2 Empty Re What the future holds ??

Post  talon440 Sun 01 Nov 2015, 6:54 pm

After spending alot of time on a pushbike over the last 10 years training for ironman triathlons (around 60,000ks ) you have all sorts of drivers, cyclists doing the wrong thing,the comments on here about this are all valid and the new rule will mean nothing to alot of drivers as do speed signs, and like Mt B have had all those things done to me while riding, as a cyclist you have to control what you do not what drivers do and keep yourself safe as possible, ride 2 abreast when safe, single up when its not, stop at stop signs, red lights etc, hand signals when turning just common sense but it will never stop car drivers doing stupid things just as cyclists do, but most cyclists also drive cars and respect the average cyclist and give them the space they deserve, you will always get narrow minded cars drivers who think that cyclists should not be on the road as it makes them 5 seconds late for work trying to pass them no matter what the rules state, but i  could never understand why it takes so much power to over take a cyclist as they are always reving the shit out of the car to get around me, cyclists and cars will always create problems, cycle paths are great for your average family out for a sunday ride but sitting on 45kph on a cycle path is dangerous to all others who use them.
talon440
talon440

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2