Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coolant overflow

4 posters

Go down

Coolant overflow Empty Coolant overflow

Post  RobRz Sun 24 May 2015, 11:45 am

Hi All

I have a bandit 1250s with 38k on it and yesterday when I got to the top of macquarie pass on a freezing cold wet morning I noticed about a table spoon of coolant come out the overflow under the bike, when I put my finger under the little hose I noticed the coolant was stone cold, it has never done this before, I should also mention  that my radiator is bent but doesnt leak just incase its related. 

I also had a look in the oil level window to check the oil and the oil looked clean but it had alot of bubbles on the top, looked kinda like a glass of coke, 

any help would be much appreciated

Rob

RobRz

Back to top Go down

Coolant overflow Empty coolant overflow

Post  talon440 Sun 24 May 2015, 3:29 pm

RobRz wrote:Hi All

I have a bandit 1250s with 38k on it and yesterday when I got to the top of macquarie pass on a freezing cold wet morning I noticed about a table spoon of coolant come out the overflow under the bike, when I put my finger under the little hose I noticed the coolant was stone cold, it has never done this before, I should also mention  that my radiator is bent but doesnt leak just incase its related. 

I also had a look in the oil level window to check the oil and the oil looked clean but it had alot of bubbles on the top, looked kinda like a glass of coke, 

Rob
If you have a look at the plumbing for your recovery system from the tube at the neck where the radiator cap is under your tank to the over flow bottle under your seat you will find a y piece so when the coolant in the radiator expands as the motor gets hot it takes the easy path which is via the y piece and out under the bike instead of going into the over flow bottle just get rid of the y piece so the hose goes straight into the bottom of the overflow bottle,then make the hose at the top of the overflow bottle the overflow tube that goes under the bike and you wont have any more leaks or problems with loosing coolant, if you leave it the way it is you will eventually loose coolant out of the overflow bottle and then the radiator

bubbles in the oil is normal after you have been riding for awhile, the gearbox stirs it up.
talon440
talon440

Back to top Go down

Coolant overflow Empty Re: Coolant overflow

Post  RobRz Sun 24 May 2015, 5:03 pm

even thou the coolant discharge was cold?

RobRz

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 25 May 2015, 6:07 pm

No idea about your coolant apart from a stab in the dark & say an air lock somewhere ( had it been recently changed ? ), & for what it's worth , the only time my oil has done that to any large degree , I was using Motul 15/50 semi & it was getting toward its change time ..........I haven't noticed it using 10/40 Ipone semi . I don't know if it has any bearing on it , but make of it  what you will .

Last edited by paul on Mon 25 May 2015, 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 25 May 2015, 7:50 pm

RobRz wrote:Hi All

Rob
Cant help with the coolant but the bubbles on top of the oil will happen if the bike is usually used for short trips. Its the condensation collected from not getting up to proper temp. Don't forget these bikes have an oil cooler at the filter too so the oil runs fairly cool. The only way to fix it is to dump it but the oil its self is probably still fine. You won't notice it as much or see it at all in summer or if riding 20 plus minutes every start.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  RobRz Mon 25 May 2015, 8:46 pm

paul wrote:No idea about your coolant apart from a stab in the dark & say an air lock somewhere ( had it been recently changed ? ), & for what it's worth , the only time my oil has done that to any large degree , I was using Motul 15/50 semi & it was getting toward its change time ..........I haven't noticed it using 10/40 Ipone semi . I don't know if it has any bearing on it , but make it of what you will .

thats the oil I am running also, bike seems to like it.

also coolant hasnt been changed in at least 10k

RobRz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down