Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Headlight globes

+5
Ewok1958
Ghostbandit
BanditDave
barry_mcki
Dropper
9 posters

Go down

Headlight globes Empty Headlight globes

Post  Dropper Wed 08 Oct 2014, 1:15 pm

Has anyone fitted a Narva Plus 110 headlight globe, and if so, has there been an marked increase in the lighting? 
The lighting with the standard globe is lousy, and I was wondering about fitting this globe, as it supposedly produces up to 110 percent more light, and is compatible with polycarbonate headlamp lenses.
Does anyone have any experience with them?

Dropper

Back to top Go down

Headlight globes Empty Re: Headlight globes

Post  barry_mcki Wed 08 Oct 2014, 2:13 pm

Interesting that Narva do not list the 110 anymore, there is a 120 (ADR approved) listed though - supposively 120% more light giving a 40m longer beam.  

So I wonder if the 110'a are a special supply for SC or that they are end of line stock.  

Also at $85 a pair they seem a bit expensive, the 120's are on special at the moment for 1/2 price ($48 a pair).

No experience with them, sorry.

Headlight globes Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Wed 08 Oct 2014, 2:58 pm

I went straight from standard headlight to HID with relays to overcome low voltage at the headlight.

I recall my measurements were 12.6 volts at battery and 10.8 volts at headlight socket.

I never tried the standard headlight with just a relay modification.

I wonder if anyone else has. It could be a very low cost option.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Ghostbandit Wed 08 Oct 2014, 5:52 pm

I run the nava plus 120's there is a good increase in light, I think they are on sale at supercheap aswel ATM. Although I could still go with brighter to be honest for back country skippy sighting. Suspect
Ghostbandit
Ghostbandit

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Wed 08 Oct 2014, 6:02 pm

Think I'll do what BanditDave suggests - put in relay-powered Plus120s. Nice little project. Might beat packing the Led Lenser torch!
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Thu 09 Oct 2014, 7:53 am

Ewok1958 wrote:Think I'll do what BanditDave suggests - put in relay-powered Plus120s.  Nice little project.  Might beat packing the Led Lenser torch!

What I was suggesting was to do the relay modification first and observe the results. The increase in voltage at the globe may be all you require.

Upgrading the globe will certainly give you more light but I wonder if the extra wattage will cause problems with extra heat in the reflector.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Thu 09 Oct 2014, 8:31 am

BanditDave wrote:
Ewok1958 wrote:Think I'll do what BanditDave suggests - put in relay-powered Plus120s.  Nice little project.  Might beat packing the Led Lenser torch!

What I was suggesting was to do the relay modification first and observe the results. The increase in voltage at the globe may be all you require.

Upgrading the globe will certainly give you more light but I wonder if the extra wattage will cause problems with extra heat in the reflector.

I thought Narva were claiming extra light with no extra power consumption - have I misunderstood?
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Thu 09 Oct 2014, 9:44 am

Sorry Mr Ewok I didn't read the fine print, yep same wattage.

The images on the Narva web site are pretty impressive eh!

I still reckon it is worth doing the relay/wiring modification and testing it before shelling out $48 for the new globes.

Maybe I didn't need to do the HID upgrade either. Bike has gone so a bit late to find out.

The worst issue is the original reflector which produces a pretty poor pattern. What Barry did by changing to projector lamps was probably the best modification I have seen although it involves a fair bit of work.

If you are reading this Barry, rather than splitting the headlight assembly by heat, would it be possible to cut a 70mm/80mm hole in the back of the reflector with a holesaw and "glue" the projector from the back? Just wondering Smile

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Thu 09 Oct 2014, 10:44 am

The original wiring on the Bandit is much like the paint work, only just enough to give an impression there is some substance there Shocked

Upgrading the wiring as well and using a relay will definately provide more voltage to the globes no matter OEM, Narva's or HID's, just think about it, the light's power is not being drawn through the narrow gauge wire, up to the handle-bar switch, through the switch and back down to the globe.  It's a simple task and well worth the effort, some places even sell looms already made up if you feel that it's a little too complicate.

The good thing about the projector setups is that you have an overall lower power consumption (I'll be using twin 35w Bi-xenon's), I'll have two lights working on both low and hi-beam, there is no delay when switching from lo to hi, and if one lamp/balast fails, the other will still function in both low and hi beam mode.

It doesn't take much to heat up the headlamp and pull off the front lens cover once the assembly has been removed from the bike - you just got to sneak past the missus to stick the headlamp in the oven to warm it up a little to soften the sealant.  You could use a heat gun but it takes a lot longer as it doesn't get a uniform heat, one section goes cold whilst you are working on the opposite side.

As far a using a big hole saw, that probably won't be too successful IMHO.  You need to attach the projector to the reflector assembly so that its (a) secure, (b) alligned horizontlly and vertically, (c) adjustable, and (d) water tight.  The projectors I have sit in the H7 "sockets" inserted from the front, they use a large silicon gromet on the reflector side, and lock nut at the back to secure the projector.  There are (better ?) projectors that are screwed to the reflector assembly but they are a lot of work to get sorted.

The main problem I've come up with is getting the two projectors to fit, there is no way I can use the existing H7 holes, the top position gets masked by the "V" shroud on the top of the headlamp, and the bottom position sits the projector too far forward and will foul with the lens cover.  So I've had to design a plate with re-positioned projector H7 mounting holes, but still use the existing horizontal/vertical adjustment points, this puts the projectors further back in the assembly.

And so it continues, hopefully I'll have it finished for the Parkes trip Neutral

barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Thu 09 Oct 2014, 11:28 am

I bought globes from these guys http://www.powerbulbs.com/us

The night breakers were much better than stock
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Thu 09 Oct 2014, 1:01 pm

SC have NARVA Intense range on special today, a pair of 55w H7's is going for $50.95 (usually $84.95). Cheapest on eBay I can find is still a dollar more. These are 4200°K with 30% "greater light" (?)

barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Thu 09 Oct 2014, 1:53 pm

http://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product/night-breaker-unlimited-h7-twin-blister

42 delivered

I believe Narva rebadge these osrams from memory
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Thu 09 Oct 2014, 2:13 pm

I reckon you could cook your food on these.

http://www.banggood.com/60W-3000LM-H49003HB2Car-Cree-LED-Headlight-Kit-Bulbs-Lamp-HL-p-940661.html

I think they would fit the "naked" Bandit (H4) but the cooling fan on the back could be a problem.

I read somewhere that 2000LM is the maximum intensity legally allowed on Australian roads - these are 3000LM - WOW!!

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 09 Oct 2014, 9:52 pm

I was convinced by someone to try the 120+ (and should have listened to my gut instinct) and I personally think they`re shit!!
and for the price, come in spinner.

I bought from china, some cheap arse $12, 85/80w bulbs instead. They`re fantastic!!

I don`t care that they`re not ADR.

They`re not that bad as to blind people either. They give that little bit extra coverage and clarity in spread, and superior to the want to be bulbs that claim to be better than sliced bread.

My system can also cope with that slight increase, Not like a 100w bulb, which will put more strain on the wiring.

My 2c
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Fri 10 Oct 2014, 1:02 pm

Well I visited SC this morning and came away very confused ( No No).  Not only did Narva have plenty of choices, so did Phillips on the adjacent racks.  Phillips had 4100K bulbs, 4300k bulbs, (no "Plus" rating on these two types), standard bulbs and at least one other type (Blue plus something).  Couldn't get any sense from Mr Helpful (not!).  So, no bulbs.

But, on a brighter note, they do have a nice tool chest combo Bathurst Special ($349 off - see SC's current catalogue) that I'll be going back for tomorrow (with the Gift Cards I got for Fathers' Day!).  Very Happy
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Fri 10 Oct 2014, 2:14 pm

If you can afford another $100 go for the larger 36" combo (works out $499 off), that additional 10" is well worth it (that doesn't sound right somehow  Embarassed  )

Their 4 tier selving is also a good buy, 2 units for $87.  I've got a heap of their 5 tier units in my garage now, but I'm going to get the 4 tier this time.  For the same foot-print and height you get a slightly stronger shelf (30kg for the five, and 37kg for the four).

barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Fri 10 Oct 2014, 3:50 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:Well I visited SC this morning and came away very confused ( No No).  Not only did Narva have plenty of choices, so did Phillips on the adjacent racks.  Phillips had 4100K bulbs, 4300k bulbs, (no "Plus" rating on these two types), standard bulbs and at least one other type (Blue plus something).  Couldn't get any sense from Mr Helpful (not!).  So, no bulbs.

But, on a brighter note, they do have a nice tool chest combo Bathurst Special ($349 off - see SC's current catalogue) that I'll be going back for tomorrow (with the Gift Cards I got for Fathers' Day!).  Very Happy

Just go HID Dave, problem solved

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Handy1250FA Sun 02 Nov 2014, 8:43 pm

GSX 1250fa
I just fitted the NARVA plus 120 globe, thinking it's worth a try at just $25 for a globe........and surprisingly made a BIG difference.
Sure, HID would be better, but for the small cost involved, I'd highly recommend it.
(I bought two, thinking the high beam is also an H7 globe....but it's not, which means I have a spare if anyone want to buy it)
Handy1250FA
Handy1250FA

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum