Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting finds about oil air cooled engines!

3 posters

Go down

Interesting finds about oil air cooled engines! Empty Interesting finds about oil air cooled engines!

Post  mtbeerwah Sat 23 Aug 2014, 7:25 am

Some of you may be aware of my recent 1216 rebuild on the 1200(1157) oil air cooled Bandit

I knew that it would run hotter, due to meat being taken out of the cylinder walls for 2mm over sized pistons, and put a temporary temp gauge on,until I under stood the cooling circuit for this particular setup, and change the oil cooler to suit the application.

Findings!!!!!

On my stock Bandit on the hi-way, 80*c  - city traffic in winter, about 92*c   About what you would expect.

1216 Bandit...... a lot different!  Winter conditions so far to date, anywhere between 95*-120*     Mild city to hi-way for those results.

So got me asking questions with dyno owners, engine builders, and last but not least, Dale Walker, from where I got the kit from.

All have said, yeah that's normal for oil air cooled engines, and don`t worry.

In fact, where I`m going to get my bike dynoed ( not for numbers, but proper tune) he runs Suzuki pro stock oil air cooled, and said his constantly run at 140*
and he also said that street going  Buels, can run at 160*-180*c,  so don`t worry, its just what they do.

Just had a good chin wag with Dale Walker, and said this is why I never, or recommend anyone running a temp gauge, cause people freak out, and he also said,  don`t worry about up grading the cooler, you can if you want, but not needed. Just run a good oil, and all is sweet

Wasn`t what I expected all these people say.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Interesting finds about oil air cooled engines! Empty Re: Interesting finds about oil air cooled engines!

Post  Greg62 Sat 23 Aug 2014, 8:13 am

Great work that is good to know.

Back to top Go down

Interesting finds about oil air cooled engines! Empty Re: Interesting finds about oil air cooled engines!

Post  Re-Cycled Sat 23 Aug 2014, 8:16 am

HaHa That's good because I've considered those gauges that go in the oil filler hole and others and concluded that I don't really want to know for the reason outlined above.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Smile

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum