Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Career Choices?

+13
Jimcoleman
dhula
Cal
Kiwisteve
paul
Paul 1250
reddog
gus
2wheelsagain
Ewok1958
truck
madmax
mtbeerwah
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Career Choices? - Page 2 Empty Career Choices?

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 07 Aug 2014, 9:50 am

First topic message reminder :

Who here, has done a trade, uni degree, or some sort of life development, ( which pretty well puts everybody in this category) , that just came to a point, and said "I`ve had enough of this" and gone on to something they never thought they would end up doing in life, and its turned out to be the best thing they have ever done?

What inspired your new career, was it purely by passion, circumstance, or by chance?

I`ve been a trady for almost 30yrs, and absolutely had a gut full of it.

Sick of getting injured, burnt and dirty.

Just wondering what pushed you to change for the better?
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Career Choices? - Page 2 Empty Re: Career Choices?

Post  Cal Sun 10 Aug 2014, 5:41 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:May sound like a silly question, but do you really love taking photos, as a job?

I think it sounds like a fantastic job. But I guess like everything else in life, it can just be a job. I can maybe guess, that if your not shooting things of interest, then maybe it could be tedious. but of course, the total opposite if your shooting things of interest.

I think it would have been a good gig, shooting for the bike mags, obviously, if you`ve got a passion for bikes.
You`ve certainly done a few things in life.

I did think about trying for a postie job, but by the sounds of things from the media, it sounds like posties days are numbered. which is a shame.

I did/do love taking photos, The work with the bike mags was the best of all. Unfortunately a few things need to be in-line to make it work. As I live in South Aus now, it is unlikely that I will ever shoot for the magazines again as most are based in either Vic or NSW. The other difficult part is the expense involved in camera gear, if I had now what I had back then I would be up for $70,000-$100,000. I don't have that sort of cash laying around.

I look back at that time with fond memories, it was a really great time of my life. I don't have any regrets. I am picky with what I choose to shoot, don't like weddings or portraits so it cuts out a lot of possible markets for me. I do like the tutoring/teaching side of things though. So the aim is to eventually start up courses here, and who knows maybe even a shop!

There is still work to be had as a postie, it is near impossible to get full time work though. I have waited 2 years and now have a full time contract for 6 months (It will be reviewed again in January) Your right, there is no security in the post. The money is not good either for what you have to do.

I have had many jobs (more than I have listed), each one a learning experience. If I don't like it I move on. My personal life has had some challenges too with the marriage breakdown and depression, I am in a much better place now.

And Paul, I would rather be that bong at the hippy commune.....free love and all  Evil or Very Mad
Cal
Cal

http://www.calvinharris.photography

Back to top Go down

Post  truck Fri 10 Oct 2014, 3:39 pm

Interested in what you aredeciding / have decided to do. You may inspire me to have a go in the real world.
truck
truck

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Sun 19 Oct 2014, 8:26 am

This is what happens when you don't go to Uni or have a trade. ( although i do have a Cert 111 in transport and distribution ). You get to lug bloody big bits of machinery around the country side for a living. I started this job 3 weeks ago and its been pretty good so far. Working for Norwoods Farm Machinery which is a huge company that has the rights to a lot of gear including New Holland and JCB.
Just wish common sense was a bit more common and drivers would pull to the left when I'm approaching with oversize stuff ( which most of it is ). Most are pretty good but Gen Y seem to have a arrogance about them that because they've got a licence they can do what they like. Same old story.

Started off innocently enough.

Career Choices? - Page 2 Img_0910" />

Then got bigger…..

Career Choices? - Page 2 <a href=Career Choices? - Page 2 Img_0911" />

Then got very big indeed!

Career Choices? - Page 2 <a href=Career Choices? - Page 2 Img_0912" />
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sun 19 Oct 2014, 8:57 am

Truck:   I have changed jobs, I`ve just started a new construction job in the gas industry, but this will be short term, 6mth to a year.

Try to cash up, so I can then sit back and do the life sums for hopefully, a better career. Still in limbo really.

Jimmy:   You`ve done quiet well for yourself. I see a spin off there for a bike courier.
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 19 Oct 2014, 9:33 am

I can tell Jimmy played with lots of Tonka Toys when he was a nipper!
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 19 Oct 2014, 12:12 pm

How would you like to cart this around JTB? Smile

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Sun 19 Oct 2014, 3:17 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:Truck:   I have changed jobs, I`ve just started a new construction job in the gas industry, but this will be short term, 6mth to a year.

Try to cash up, so I can then sit back and do the life sums for hopefully, a better career. Still in limbo really.

Howdy MtBeerwah,

I'm not sure if this is applicable to you or not.
Salary Sacrifice into Super
I did it some years ago for about 12 months and got a considerable financial boost.

The basic principle is you contribute to your super "pre-tax" and only pay 15% as compared to your nominal tax rate if you are banking the money.
Your taxable income is also reduced as a result of this deduction so you pay less tax on the balance
The result is your take home pay does not reduce by the extra amount you pay in to super

I'm not sure of the current rules but it is well documented on the ATO website plus any super fund will be falling over itself trying to help you.
The other area you should research is "preservation age"

Another avenue worth exploring is a visit to Centrelink Financial Information Services. They can provide you with information on retirement funding and you may find this useful in developing your retirement strategy

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 19 Oct 2014, 4:59 pm

BanditDave wrote:
mtbeerwah wrote:Truck:   I have changed jobs, I`ve just started a new construction job in the gas industry, but this will be short term, 6mth to a year.

Howdy MtBeerwah,

I'm not sure if this is applicable to you or not.
Salary Sacrifice into Super
I did it some years ago for about 12 months and got a considerable financial boost.

The basic principle is you contribute to your super "pre-tax" and only pay 15% as compared to your nominal tax rate if you are banking the money.
Your taxable income is also reduced as a result of this deduction so you pay less tax on the balance
The result is your take home pay does not reduce by the extra amount you pay in to super

I'm not sure of the current rules but it is well documented on the ATO website plus any super fund will be falling over itself trying to help you.
The other area you should research is "preservation age"

Another avenue worth exploring is a visit to Centrelink Financial Information Services. They can provide you with information on retirement funding and you may find this useful in developing your retirement strategy

Our wonderful Govt. leaders have moved the goal posts again with the co-payment into super as well............ Rolling Eyes

http://www.superguide.com.au/how-super-works/cashing-in-on-the-co-contribution-rules

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  truck Wed 22 Oct 2014, 8:26 am

Jimmy:   You`ve done quiet well for yourself. I see a spin off there for a bike courier.

Good on Ya MtB!! Hope it all works out for you.
The day is getting closer to me building up the courage to move on.
truck
truck

Back to top Go down

Post  jstava Wed 22 Oct 2014, 9:24 pm

I did a lot of things when younger, mowed lawns, filleted fish (14 hour days!) drove boats, took people fishing, water skiing - resort work.  

After a family move, farm work came next - all sorts, from pitching shit (cleaning pens) all that messy animal stuff, hay carting, tractor, machinery & truck work, including two stints as a Veterinary assistant.  

I did some cleaning when I was a Uni student (hey I was only trying to stay away from Viet Nam. Stay alive was the plan. I had no other) I was not a successful student and lost my deferment and faced the very real likelihood of being drafted 

Back to farm work until I got the call - contract baling until they brought in the lottery.  I won, ended up going back to uni simply because it was easier and not seasonal - still no goals. Was a laboratory assistant in the Geology and Biology Depts for 3 years. Then I got interested, and completed the degree but with few prospects of employment

Graduated to work in a sawmill after spending a week walking systematically through one large town and one small, knocking on every door of every business, and living in my car in the forest (down to $20) Tough job!  I got offered a job over the phone on the other side of the world (OZ). I took a half second to decide to take it.  Turns out they wanted anyone with a pulse and a degree to teach in Victoria. I had attended the interview simply in order to gain interview experience. I really hadn't thought about Oz at all, but had no kind of loyalty to a country that was trying to get me killed. Quick easy decision. That taught me a lot. Given an important decision - just go with your guts. Do it.  

So I was a Science teacher In Oz, and not real certain that's what I wanted to do, but for the first time in my life I could actually buy stuff I wanted (CB750), rather than had a need for.  However I was VERY certain this is where I wanted to be.  I got interested in Outdoor Ed, and later Computers. The arrival of a partner and children put paid to career change due to my being the sole breadwinner with three kids. I did a Graduate Diploma (what for?) We all got over all of that, and I retired as soon as it became possible. Lifestyle is much more important to me, and I don't mean pools and garden parties, 4WD adventures on weekends, or the grey nomad thing. I was convinced that to teach for another 5 years, was probably going to take 10 years off my life.  

I got bored, surrounded by old farts who seemed only concerned with golf or bowls, but was determined to work only if it is drug dealing profitable, or the mission from god, or simply fun. Also has to be out of doors and physical.  So I applied for a job on a bit of a whim and took a chance on a mid-life change.  

In the Winter, I now work at the snow, operating ski lifts. It's still a great gig after 8 seasons. The rest of the year is mine. Well I share lots of it with the SES. I manage a unit, and ride my motorcycles as much as possible. I'm not that keen to do back-to-back seasons at the snow in the Northern hemisphere.  Leave that for the proper snowboard bums.  

Will I go on and do something else?  Maybe.  I've plenty of current "competencies" that would work to look for a real job, and enjoy learning new things, but I'm happy with what I've got so long as the body holds up, I'm not hungry, and whatever there is, is paid for. I still haven't got what many would regard as goals. Oh maybe - Stay fit and active, have fun and make a difference - that's it, all lifestyle related.  Anyway, there's rules about work, which I will stick to.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Thu 23 Oct 2014, 6:53 am

What a fantastic story mate, although you didn't mention becoming a smurf. You've crammed a lot in and had a great variety of experiences and I think thats the key. Good on ya mate. Im not afraid to try something different either and I think it makes you more rounded as a person. Better to know a bit a about a lot of things than a whole lot about only one thing IMHO. Smile
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Thu 23 Oct 2014, 9:02 am

+1^

good on ya jstava.

you`ve been through a bit, with the light at the end of a tunnel!!
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2