Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not sure ..'''

+6
barry_mcki
madmax
Kiwisteve
Ewok1958
Hammy
gus
10 posters

Go down

Not sure ..''' Empty Not sure ..'''

Post  gus Sat 21 Jun 2014, 8:05 am

I need help .
I seem to have an opinion on most makes of bikes , mostly good that I would be happy to spend my money on .
However there are 2 brands that I can not make my mind up about .
1= MV Agusta , Looks great but I keep seeing the one I saw with oil all over it being carted off on a trailer .

2= Benelli - A chinese make with a classic name ?  Motor sounds like all the internals are loose .
 Please set me straight .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Not sure ..''' Empty Re: Not sure ..'''

Post  Hammy Sat 21 Jun 2014, 8:15 am

Some of the MV's are just  "Sex on Wheels" . Beautiful machines. JMHO.

Benellis.  Like the idea of the triple in any bike. Saw some at the Bike Show. Probably a very niche market. More your kinda "short black", than a "skim Latte" type.

What's your thoughts on Guzzi's Gus. I spoke with an engineer who rides one. He told me that they are the most simple and efficient engine. He absolutely loves them.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 21 Jun 2014, 9:44 am

Another unsure brand .
Years ago a friend used to sell them and told me NEVER EVER . He was sick of new bikes not managing to get from dealership to new home .
Time has moved on with new owner Piaggio  (sp ?) who also own Aprilia so maybe a V7 .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sat 21 Jun 2014, 10:10 am

I don't know anyone who has owed an MV or a Benelli.  These 800 Brutale's certainly look the goods but test reports suggest that MV hasn't quite got the suspension or fueling 100% yet.
Not sure ..''' Mv_agu10
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Sat 21 Jun 2014, 10:42 am

Good question Gus. I have often thought long & hard about the Ducati range, along with other Italian/Euro brands, but I have this horror imagination of all things maintenance/repairs wise ($) as being waaay over the top. I love the sound of the Ducati, like the looks of the engine layout/bike on the Guzzi's. Also love the look of the Benelli's. Hmmmm

Cruise n Comfort seat cover
Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sat 21 Jun 2014, 12:09 pm

gus wrote: Benelli - A chinese make with a classic name ?   

Not exactly, Benelli is an old Italian Marque that was bought out by the Chinese group Qianjiang. Of course with anything Chinese you still have to be suspicious of the quality.

Personally I'm always going to stick with the better known brands.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sat 21 Jun 2014, 12:52 pm

They had a story on the box yesterday on MV and in particular the F3.

I didn't catch the intro but was it an Australian who was in charge of the design of the F3 ?

Not sure ..''' Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Sat 21 Jun 2014, 4:11 pm

Here in Gladstone, the owner of the bike shop I go to, has just about has had ever known bike to man kind.

He used to own an MV Agusta F4, and proudly had it on display in the shop, along with all the other bikes he`s had when he`s owned them, but never ever keeps them long, and its a constant change when you go in.

Anyway, back to the point. He never really raved about it the MV, and said it was very uncomfortable.

He bought a 1098, and didn`t keep that long.

He` pride and joy is his MT-01 , which is blinged to the max, and I would have no doubt, that he`s spent an extra $15 000, on top of sale price.

He`s just bought an R1 turbo, with 230 rear wheel HP.

So what are you after Gus, something out side the box, non common?
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  jstava Sat 21 Jun 2014, 4:12 pm

I've got a friend with an older Benelli - it seems to be very hard to get bits for it.  I've had my time with "unusual bikes", (or cars) and I think you have to be equipped with a tolerance for long chases for the things that are needed from time to time, or into original solutions to problems AND/or be mechanically capable or have a mechanic mate that likes unusual stuff. 

Twice in my life I've had enough of this and promised myself only to keep only common stuff, and leave anything the least bit exotic to the fanciers.  But the temptation is always there.  There are some nice things if one can be bothered.  I think I am over it this time.

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 22 Jun 2014, 5:49 pm

I always hear horror stories about Aprilia . I own one and its been  fantastic .In 70,000 kls  2 oil pressure switch's  replaced $25 each (in stock)
So is there anything still Italian in Benelli  or is it totally Chinese ? Is it designed buy an Italian ?
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Mon 23 Jun 2014, 8:11 am

gus wrote:I always hear horror stories about Aprilia . I own one and its been  fantastic .In 70,000 kls  2 oil pressure switch's  replaced $25 each (in stock)
So is there anything still Italian in Benelli  or is it totally Chinese ? Is it designed buy an Italian ?
I can`t answer your question, but as you said about Aprilia, there is that horror stigma.

Out of all the bikes I`ve ridden, I so badly want a Tuono V4 R.

I`ve said in the past on this site many times about this bike, and after the test ride, I`m sold on it, as it suits my ridding style....BUT, I`m still not sure about Aplrila!
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Mon 23 Jun 2014, 5:39 pm

Id buy another Aprilia in a heartbeat . A v4 is a bit over the top for me but I'm loving the lightness of the sv 650 so a Shiver has my eye . The other eye
is on my Tuono so not much point . "in Aprilia we trust "
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Not sure ..''' Empty Re: Not sure .

Post  Kaupy1962 Wed 25 Jun 2014, 11:45 pm

Got a 600 MV here. Nice bike to ride 4 different maps that you can change on the run. Goes like stink but not a long distance bike. On a Wang to Sydney trip I reckon you'd get barnicles on your arse.
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Thu 26 Jun 2014, 12:08 am

Just saw this in motorcycle trader 

Not sure ..''' Img00211

Or you could go one of these if you were after something different .................   

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/revealed-ariel-ace/25193.html

I think the MV  would put you in a whole new class of head-fuck when it came to cost / availability of parts etc when needed later on.
Be nice to have one to ride to the local coffee shop etc  though .
Chinese Benelli ................um , not at this stage thanks .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Thu 26 Jun 2014, 6:15 am

That Areil looks interesting, but unpracticle .  How much fuel do you think it would hold. Maybe enough to get you round the block. Would definitely go like stink though. Can imagine a lot of young pommy rev heads drolling over that.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum