Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Touring Laminar Lip Review

+4
talon440
2wheelsagain
gus
spanna
8 posters

Go down

Touring Laminar Lip Review Empty Touring Laminar Lip Review

Post  spanna Fri 04 Apr 2014, 8:26 pm

I needed to do something about the bandit std screen as it is very good at deflecting wind & bugs directly at my visor, I was having to stop & clean it every 100km.
On my previous bike WeeStrom, I fitted a Madstad 20" touring screen. It was great at deflecting wind & catching big bugs.
Rather than replace the complete screen I thought I would try the Touring version of the 'Laminar Lip' product, it looked like it would work OK.
It arrived today & I fitted it using stick on tabs that were supplied, when I took it for a test ride I was shocked to discover the amount of wind noise was much louder than before.
It deflected the wind but still hits the very top of my helmet & creates a huge amount of turbulence behind my head ( I think this is where most of the wind noise is now coming from). Before installing the lip the wind noise was a higher pitch and seemed to be coming from the sides of my helmet, this has definitely reduced, so has the number of bugs hitting my visor.
Tonight I have drilled two holes at the top of the lip and attached with M4 screws & 10mm spacers to change the angle. Hopefully this will make a positive difference.
All in all I am sorry I didn't go for one of the screens from Zero Gravity, they were not that much more expensive. 
I will update this review once I test tomorrow.
spanna
spanna

Back to top Go down

Touring Laminar Lip Review Empty Re: Touring Laminar Lip Review

Post  gus Sat 05 Apr 2014, 8:11 am

Any one tried the reverse method and made the screen actually SMALLER for better air flow direction . Like those old racing cars when the screen was only about 50 mm.
I made a copy of a tall touring screen (in fibreglass) ,fitted it ,and then used an electric planer to cut the height down till I was happy with the noise and air flow .
It ended up LESS tall than a standard screen .
Then ended up on the shed wall because I didn't like the look but it worked . Laughing
5 mins till blast off to Tasi . Original screen (mould) on Bonnie (now clicking over 93,000 kls ,well done Carol  I love you )

Touring Laminar Lip Review Tasmamia002

Last edited by gus on Sat 05 Apr 2014, 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 05 Apr 2014, 8:20 am

Best option would have been to keep screen on and ditch the h\guards as I have heated grips .
This is a better angle to see screen is quite small .
Touring Laminar Lip Review Tasmamia006
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 05 Apr 2014, 9:43 am

For those complaining about wind hitting your helmet bend your elbows a bit and stop sitting up like a shag on a rock. Smile

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  spanna Sun 06 Apr 2014, 4:53 pm

Very useful comment 2wheelsagain! I have touring bars on my 1250s because there is now way I can stay crouched like a frog for 400km
spanna
spanna

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 06 Apr 2014, 4:56 pm

Forward controls will be next. Laughing

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  spanna Sun 06 Apr 2014, 5:18 pm

I am fairly new to this forum but I already can see you are the comedian  Laughing
spanna
spanna

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 06 Apr 2014, 5:30 pm

All's fair in love and war mate.
Its just that I see a lot of Bandit riders sitting upright.
Higher bars like you have do make it harder and you didn't mention them in the OP.
There are numerous posts from around the world from people asking and spending money on screens only to go back to stock eventually. Hope you find a screen that improves things for you. Gus's post about a shorter one has merit.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Touring Laminar Lip Review Empty Re Touring laminar lip

Post  talon440 Sun 06 Apr 2014, 5:46 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:All's fair in love and war mate.
Its just that I see a lot of Bandit riders sitting upright.
Higher bars like you have do make it harder and you didn't mention them in the OP.
There are numerous posts from around the world from people asking and spending money on screens only to go back to stock eventually. Hope you find a screen that improves things for you. Gus's post about a shorter one has merit.

2 wheelsagain is spot on, unless you get a screen tall enough that you actually look through you will only direct the wing noise to another point and its usually worse than the stock screen
talon440
talon440

Back to top Go down

Post  spanna Sun 06 Apr 2014, 5:53 pm

Thanks for your advice guys.
I took the bandit out for a test ride today and notice that the wind noise is due to the laminar lip flicking more air around the two sides of the helmet. Crying or Very sad
spanna
spanna

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 06 Apr 2014, 6:14 pm

I'm using a Powerbronze double bubble screen. I found the original caused the airflow to hit me under the chin, felt like it was trying to rip my helmet off.

With the Powerbronze double bubble screen you can feel as you move your hand in front of you, the airflow increases as you get to the top of the helmet.
It works for me but then I'm only 5'9"

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 06 Apr 2014, 6:31 pm

madmax wrote:I'm using a Powerbronze double bubble screen. I found the original caused the airflow to hit me under the chin, felt like it was trying to rip my helmet off.

With the Powerbronze double bubble screen you can feel as you move your hand in front of you, the airflow increases as you get to the top of the helmet.
It works for me but then I'm only 5'9"
I'm bang on 6 foot and love the DB on the VTR. It directs most of the wind across my shoulders and very little into my helmet. Its true im crouched over more but its still comfortable. That's a shorter screen than the Bandit and its a quieter setup overall.
Individual experiences may vary.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TropoBone Sun 06 Apr 2014, 9:12 pm

With wind noise/buffeting etc, important to know a couple of things.
How tall is the rider, and what else is different from standard?
e.g. I'm 183cm (6'0" in the old language), factory screen, factory seat, factory bars never adjusted from factory setting.
I've ridden some long days (try Adelaide - Melrose - Cadney Park - Tennant Creek - Darwin as my first 'tour') and I find the Bandit a better long distance mount than the fully faired Kwaka 1000GTR's I've owned. Much more comfortable. But thats just me.

Evaluation report? Change one variable at a time! Wink

Staintune pipe. 
Michelin Pilot 2 front and rear
Ventura rack and bag, Kappa K33N panniers.
Racetech gold valves and fork springs.
TropoBone
TropoBone

Back to top Go down

Post  V17R Fri 09 May 2014, 8:56 pm

spanna wrote:Thanks for your advice guys.
I took the bandit out for a test ride today and notice that the wind noise is due to the laminar lip flicking more air around the two sides of the helmet. Crying or Very sad

G'day guys, first post after the intro. Just a important note about wind noise. I added a Wunderlich wind deflector to my old GS500F because the stock screen was useless and while it helped with the wind buffering it increased wind noise notably.
So much so that after a 2,500km ride I developed Tinnitus which is a very high pitched (loud) ringing  in the ears which is there 24/7
I have had several hearing test's done which confirmed it is Tinnitus and there is no cure.
Of coarse my two favorite beverages Coffee and Alcohol increase it even more!
I now wear ear plugs but its the old shutting the gate after the horse has bolted thing. 
Don't take any risks with your hearing, its not worth it.

John

V17R

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Sat 10 May 2014, 3:10 am

V17R wrote:
spanna wrote:Thanks for your advice guys.

G'day guys, first post after the intro. Just a important note about wind noise. I added a Wunderlich wind deflector to my old GS500F because the stock screen was useless and while it helped with the wind buffering it increased wind noise notably.
So much so that after a 2,500km ride I developed Tinnitus which is a very high pitched (loud) ringing  in the ears which is there 24/7
I have had several hearing test's done which confirmed it is Tinnitus and there is no cure.
Of coarse my two favorite beverages Coffee and Alcohol increase it even more!
I now wear ear plugs but its the old shutting the gate after the horse has bolted thing. 
Don't take any risks with your hearing, its not worth it.

John

I simpathise with you, John.  I, too, have tinnitus.
Misspent youth of stupidly loud music, industry and noisy helmets.
Sage advice about looking after your hearing. Wear ear plugs, everyone. And will someone get that damn phone! (Uncle Leo. Seinfeld)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum