Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aftermarket Radiator

+8
gazzar
kewwig
Reardo
Re-Cycled
Cal
madmax
Bosco15
SolomonKane
12 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 Empty Aftermarket Radiator

Post  SolomonKane Wed 19 Mar 2014, 10:56 am

First topic message reminder :

Has anyone tried this aftermarket radiator?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aluminum-Replacement-Radiator-Cooler-FOR-SUZUKI-BANDIT-GSF1250S-GSF1250-07-13-/200968285408?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2ecaa4ace0

I've emailed them asking for the dimensions and if the type and quality of the materials used are identical to those used in the Suzuki OEM radiator.
SolomonKane
SolomonKane

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 Empty Re: Aftermarket Radiator

Post  Chook Fri 25 Apr 2014, 8:43 am

Another tip for cooling systems, if you live anywhere where the water is a bit harsh (Adelaide is a classic example), do not use tap water, you may as well fill it with acid, distilled water is pretty cheap, mix your coolant with that.
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  SolomonKane Fri 25 Apr 2014, 8:54 am

Thanks for the advice regarding spray painting the radiator Bosco, and for taking the time to count the tubes.

The OEM on my bike doesn't have any metal inserts so didn't know what the story was with those. However, I was only just able to get the bolts through the rubber grommets so they might not fit through the inserts. 

I have Engine Ice in my radiator Chook but good tip nonetheless. The Engine Ice seems to be excellent by the way.
SolomonKane
SolomonKane

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 Empty re aftermarket radiator

Post  talon440 Fri 25 Apr 2014, 8:58 pm

SolomonKane wrote:The width of the OEM is 47cm the AM is 43cm.

Not precise measurements as the OEM is on the bike behind the guard but pretty accurate. 

Thanks for the additional specs Bosco. Did you count them yourself or did you get that information from somewhere? Yes, it did come with rubber grommets. Landed cost was $164.71AUD.

Range of photos below from various angles.

Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 <a href=Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 Img_0612" />

For some reason the bend is reversed compared to the OEM.

Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 <a href=Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 Img_0613" />

Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 <a href=Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 Img_0614" />

Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 <a href=Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 Img_0615" />

Welds are not as tidy as the OEM.

Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 <a href=Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 Img_0616" />

Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 <a href=Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 Img_0617" />

Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 <a href=Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 Img_0618" />

The gold coloured inserts are easily removed.

Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 <a href=Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 Img_0619" />

Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 <a href=Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 Img_0620" />
SK my radiator is the same as this, didnt think to measure it as my radiator guard fitted ok so didnt think it was shorter, have now measured the cooling  area between each tank and the AM is 20mm shorter but has extra cooling tubes so temp hasnt changed from OEM to this radiator, so far its been good, guess time will tell
talon440
talon440

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 Empty re aftermarket radiator

Post  talon440 Sat 26 Apr 2014, 8:09 am

Now that ive looked at both radiators more closely even though the AM is smaller in comparison to the OEM the tanks are also different, AM is 30mm x 185mm the OEM is 35mm X 175mm so whoever made these radiators has worked out that they can make a slightly smaller radiator which has the same cooling capacity and coolant volume as the original radiator, why im not sure but as everything fitted back on the bike as it came off i didnt even notice the difference, guess i should have done what SK did as i could have created a problem for myself
talon440
talon440

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sat 26 Apr 2014, 10:26 am

SolomonKane wrote:The width of the OEM is 47cm the AM is 43cm.
So you are saying the after market one is 40mm narrower than the OEM radiator?
That would leave it sticking out 20mm less from each side, that could make it less vulnerable to damage in a minor fall
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Sat 26 Apr 2014, 4:18 pm

Aftermarket radiators are made a slightly different size so as not to infringe on copyright.
So long as all the mounts line up, all should be good.

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sat 26 Apr 2014, 5:33 pm

Hmmm...maybe a Patent Infringement, not Copyright, but even then I'd doubt it. That would mean every aftermarket car panel would need to be a slightly different size, would make life interesting at the panel beaters.

I reckon they had a bunch of cores this slightly smaller size and used them instead of getting new stock made up.

My 2c

Aftermarket Radiator - Page 3 Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  Bosco15 Sat 26 Apr 2014, 7:00 pm

barry_mcki wrote:Hmmm...maybe a Patent Infringement, not Copyright, but even then I'd doubt it.  That would mean every aftermarket car panel would need to be a slightly different size, would make life interesting at the panel beaters.  

I reckon they had a bunch of cores this slightly smaller size and used them instead of getting new stock made up.

My 2c

Whatever. I wouldn't have a clue. Having sold radiators for 13 years.
Aftermarket tanks won't fit on oem cores, as they have different radius corners. Different lip heights. Oring thickness'.
Hyundai had five different oem manufactured brands and non of the parts would mix and match.
There is worth in being an Original equipment Manufacturer, & they defend there market share as well as they are able.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3