Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modifications

+6
sb1250
Dekenai
barry_mcki
madmax
Hammy
avandr
10 posters

Go down

Modifications Empty Modifications

Post  avandr Sun 17 Nov 2013, 6:20 am

Hi all after posting an introduction I have found the forum quite helpful.
I have just purchased a new 2011 GSX1250FA, aside from a new can mods, what are the most common non engine mods?
Also I read about the Pair system, what is its functionality and why do people buy a kit to block it off? What performance effect will this have if done?

Thanks in advance
Adrian
avandr
avandr

Back to top Go down

Modifications Empty Re: Modifications

Post  Hammy Sun 17 Nov 2013, 8:14 am

Well. Where do we start ?   If you have popping when you decelerate, that is your new mufflers fault. It is letting more air out. The pairs system block off kit eliminates this and tidies up all the plumbing mess that is on top of the motor. There is an easier way to fix the popping. Block the air hose that runs down the R/H side under the tank, at the join. Very simple.  None engine mods. Must Have !  Radiator guard. Immediately.  You do not want to be on the side of the road with a hole in your radiator.  If you are going to do some long rides. The Seat. If you are going to ride at night. The headlights.  First make sure you get a radiator guard. Ebay has a few.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 17 Nov 2013, 9:21 am

Pair system adds air to the exhaust system to cause a more complete burn of any unburnt fuel in the exhaust.
Same as you might have seen on some 80s cars that used a air pump.

Other Mods

Crash knobs (R&G are the only company who make these for the GSX1250FA)
I can swear by these, when coming home from the Cowra rally my bike decided to have a sleep on its left side. Crash knob saved the fairing from any damage.

Heated grips
Aftermarket screen if the stock one doesn't suit your height
HID headlights
Airbox mods, though you may want to wait until your out of warranty
hugger
GPS

you can get a whole list of suggestions here

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Modifications Empty Pairs - according to Barry

Post  barry_mcki Sun 17 Nov 2013, 9:38 am

On the Pairs, I believe the whole science of this being an antipollution control device is b***s***.  Essentially it is an emmission control system that fools the air pollution monitoring gurus into thinking the motor is producing less pollutants.  In reality the readings are erroronious, the Pairs is just introducing more fresh air into the exhaust.  The motor is still putting out exactly the same amount of pollutants. 

BTW the popping is because there is more oxygen in the hot exhaust, thus creating the enviroment for small combustions when you back of and the additional unburnt fuel is dumped out the exhaust valves.  Because the original exhaust is so restrictive, it does a very good job at muffling the popping.  So I don't think it is the exhaust letting more air out, that would imply there is air stored in the exhaust system somewhere.  The reason you hear the popping is because the aftermarket cans are a lot more free-flowing, i.e. less restrictive, therefore less muffling, hence the louder the popping.

The Pairs blockoff / bypass systems, whether it is the full removal and replacement with new plates, resistors etc, or the simple ball bearing in the air supply pipe, stops this additional air getting into the exhaust in the first place.  Some people don't mind the decel popping, personnally I didn't do it straight away when I installed my Yoshi, eventually however it got a bit too annoying so I ended up getting one of MetrickMetal kits.

Mind you I have no mechanical training so all the above might just be me b***s***ing Smile

Modifications Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 17 Nov 2013, 9:48 am

barry_mcki wrote:BTW the popping is because there is more oxygen in the hot exhaust, thus creating the enviroment for small combustions when you back of and the additional unburnt fuel is dumped out the exhaust valves.  Because the original exhaust is so restrictive, it does a very good job at muffling the popping.  So I don't think it is the exhaust letting more air out, that would imply there is air stored in the exhaust system somewhere.  The reason you hear the popping is because the aftermarket cans are a lot more free-flowing, i.e. less restrictive, therefore less muffling, hence the louder the popping.
Spot on. but I'm not a mechanic either.

Adding air to the system to dilute the emissions to pass various emissions laws around the world:?: Question

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Sun 17 Nov 2013, 10:26 am

avandr wrote:Hi all after posting an introduction I have found the forum quite helpful.
I have just purchased a new 2011 GSX1250FA, aside from a new can mods, what are the most common non engine mods?
Also I read about the Pair system, what is its functionality and why do people buy a kit to block it off? What performance effect will this have if done?

Thanks in advance
Adrian
The list of available mods is fairly extensive and many will find few deficiencies with the factory package.  The Bandit (family) is a pretty blank canvas and would suggest that you get some kms under your belt and figure out what bits you find deficient or want to optimize.

Just my 2c,

Last edited by Dekenai on Sun 17 Nov 2013, 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sun 17 Nov 2013, 10:33 am

barry_mcki wrote:On the Pairs, I believe the whole science of this being an antipollution control device is b***s***.  Essentially it is an emmission control system that fools the air pollution monitoring gurus into thinking the motor is producing less pollutants.  In reality the readings are erroronious, the Pairs is just introducing more fresh air into the exhaust.  The motor is still putting out exactly the same amount of pollutants. 

BTW the popping is because there is more oxygen in the hot exhaust, thus creating the enviroment for small combustions when you back of and the additional unburnt fuel is dumped out the exhaust valves.  Because the original exhaust is so restrictive, it does a very good job at muffling the popping.  So I don't think it is the exhaust letting more air out, that would imply there is air stored in the exhaust system somewhere.  The reason you hear the popping is because the aftermarket cans are a lot more free-flowing, i.e. less restrictive, therefore less muffling, hence the louder the popping.

The Pairs blockoff / bypass systems, whether it is the full removal and replacement with new plates, resistors etc, or the simple ball bearing in the air supply pipe, stops this additional air getting into the exhaust in the first place.  Some people don't mind the decel popping, personnally I didn't do it straight away when I installed my Yoshi, eventually however it got a bit too annoying so I ended up getting one of MetrickMetal kits.

Mind you I have no mechanical training so all the above might just be me b***s***ing Smile
Letting more air out.  Less restrictive.   Aren't they the same thing ?  scratch
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 17 Nov 2013, 1:21 pm

Hammy wrote:
barry_mcki wrote:On the Pairs, I believe the whole science of this being an antipollution control device is b***s***.  Essentially it is an emmission control system that fools the air pollution monitoring gurus into thinking the motor is producing less pollutants.  In reality the readings are erroronious, the Pairs is just introducing more fresh air into the exhaust.  The motor is still putting out exactly the same amount of pollutants. 

Letting more air out.  Less restrictive.   Aren't they the same thing ?  scratch
Less restrictive = letting the exhaust gases out faster

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sun 17 Nov 2013, 6:34 pm

madmax wrote:
Hammy wrote:
barry_mcki wrote:So I don't think it is the exhaust letting more air out, that would imply there is air stored in the exhaust system somewhere.  The reason you hear the popping is because the aftermarket cans are a lot more free-flowing, i.e. less restrictive, therefore less muffling, hence the louder the popping.
Less restrictive = letting the exhaust gases out faster
It might just be symantics but I think "faster" is the better explaination.

However a couple of arguments I have no answer to is (1) because the fuel enriched gasses are in the exhaust for less time there should be less chance of popping not more and (2) if the exhaust is less restrictive with the new cans wouldn't that mean the actual exhaust system is cooler and again reducing the enviroiment for popping ?

I think that popping occurs all the time in a Pairs fitted system, and the reason Suzuki made the can so big was to muffle it down to an accectable level, they saved money everywhere else on the bike, it makes no sense for them to put on such a big exhuast (unless their truck division was over stock Razz ).

Whatever the science there is definately a correlation between fitting after market exhausts and removing the Pairs to stop (reduce) decel popping.

Modifications Sideca10

barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  avandr Sun 17 Nov 2013, 7:05 pm

madmax wrote:Pair system adds air to the exhaust system to cause a more complete burn of any unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

Other Mods

I can swear by these, when coming home from the Cowra rally my bike decided to have a sleep on its left side. Crash knob saved the fairing from any damage.

Heated grips
HID headlights
hugger
GPS

Sorry this may sound basic however being new to this style of bike do you happen to have an image of what the crash nobs look like and where they are placed?
Thanks
Adrian
avandr
avandr

Back to top Go down

Post  sb1250 Sun 17 Nov 2013, 7:15 pm

Mods depend on what "you" want out of the bike. Most of my mods are related to my daily commute (see below in my signature).
cheers

Mods included...
Home made rad guard
IXIL muffler
Pro-oiler
stebel nautilus compact horn
Xenon 55w 4300k HID (low beam only)
Ventura Rack
Did have Bandit Mania "Chin" spoiler (belly pan) RIP... Sad 
Barkbuster Storm hand guards
Removed rubber dampers from tool kit area - Gus' idea
sb1250
sb1250

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 17 Nov 2013, 7:27 pm

avandr wrote:
madmax wrote:Pair system adds air to the exhaust system to cause a more complete burn of any unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

Other Mods

Heated grips
HID headlights
hugger
GPS

Sorry this may sound basic however being new to this style of bike do you happen to have an image of what the crash nobs look like and where they are placed?
Thanks
Adrian
here's the thread

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Sun 17 Nov 2013, 8:31 pm

madmax wrote:
avandr wrote:
madmax wrote:

Modifications Mm_on_10
Thanks
Adrian
here's the thread

Modifications Sideca10

barry_mcki
barry_mcki

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 17 Nov 2013, 9:11 pm

barry_mcki wrote:
madmax wrote:
avandr wrote:
madmax wrote:

Modifications Mm_on_10
Thanks
Adrian
here's the thread
LOL, thanks for that Barry

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Mon 18 Nov 2013, 6:49 am

You're so kind to Madmax Barry. Bringing all the fond memories flooding back Very Happy

Cruise n Comfort seat cover
Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Truck bandit Mon 18 Nov 2013, 9:09 am

I will vouch for the crash knobs as on my 2010 Bandit they are actually bars that look like the stunt bike protection!
Not a mark on engine or fairing after I dropped the bike on my leg and broke my hip!

Other mods which are nice:
Braided brake lines for a bit of extra feel
Larger/tinted front screen
Underseat / hugger

Engine wise i think all you need is the pipe to hear it better. It has a nice spread of power I find.

Just individualise it for your self I reckon.

Back to top Go down

Post  avandr Tue 19 Nov 2013, 12:13 pm

One more question guys, perhaps this is normal however as I start to ride and I get to around 40kph I hear a noise coming up through the fairing from the front. Kind of noise you hear from a worn bearing or 4 wheel drive vehicle off road tyres on bitumen.
Its not from the engine as I pull the clutch in there is no change, it seems to intensify as speed increases. Weave the bike around a bit and not change either.
Could it be the fans free spinning?
Or could it be normal sound of wind coming up through the fairing.
Appreciate any comments.

Thanks
Adrian

Last edited by avandr on Tue 19 Nov 2013, 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
avandr
avandr

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 19 Nov 2013, 2:06 pm

avandr wrote:One more question guys, perhaps this is normal however as I start to ride and I get to around 40kph I hear a noise coming up through the fairing from the front. Kind of noise you hear from a worn bearing or 4 wheel drive vehicle off road tyres on bitumen.
Its not from the engine as I pull the clutch in there is no change, it seems to intensify as speed increases. Weave the bike around a bit and not change either.
Could it be the fans free spinning?
Or could it be normal sound of wind coming up through the fairing.
Appreciate any comments.

Oh' I ordered the R&G sliders from Solomotorparts.com after seeing the bike down in the images above. santa 

Thanks
Adrian
Its the Bandit brake fizz.
Its normal and nothing to worry about Smile

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Tue 19 Nov 2013, 5:41 pm

Could also be a bit of Bandit fairing buzz/rattle

Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 19 Nov 2013, 6:08 pm

Kiwisteve wrote:Could also be a bit of Bandit fairing buzz/rattle
Possible.  Mine has never rattled or buzzed though.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Tue 19 Nov 2013, 6:10 pm

Might be the propeller on top of your helmet spinning too fast.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwisteve Tue 19 Nov 2013, 6:20 pm

Hammy wrote:Might be the propeller on top of your helmet spinning too fast.
lol! lol!

Kiwisteve
Kiwisteve

Back to top Go down

Post  2010banditsa Tue 19 Nov 2013, 9:27 pm

I like the free mods, like the secondaries, airbox and gus' indicator stem shortening mod. After dusting my bike off again, ill be getting some new bars I reckon- they suck arse
2010banditsa
2010banditsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down