Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suzuki Dealer, First Service

+4
Bandit Gazza
reddog
Hammy
Tsim
8 posters

Go down

Suzuki Dealer, First Service Empty Suzuki Dealer, First Service

Post  Tsim Fri 11 Jan 2013, 1:10 pm

Well just got back from taking my Bandit in for it's 1,000 km service.

Put her up on the centre stand and check the oil sight glass window.

WTF!!!!!!! Sight glass is full, not the full line, but totally full.

Would recommend dropping all the oil, and refilling, or trying to get a little bit out.

as a side note, what oil is every one using....
Was thinking of going over to Motul 5100
Tsim
Tsim

Back to top Go down

Suzuki Dealer, First Service Empty Re: Suzuki Dealer, First Service

Post  Hammy Fri 11 Jan 2013, 1:39 pm

Trouble is, with a first service some workshops will tend to give it to one of the appretices to do. It is pretty basic job. If they did not change the oil filter then threr is a difference in the amount that goes in. Yes you should drain some or all of it out, and put in the right amount. Yes, Motul seems to get good raves around here in the Bandit.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Fri 11 Jan 2013, 3:29 pm

Just get a syringe or vaccuum tool and suck the oil out.

As for oil... Up to you. Belray works for me, but others have used cheaper diesel oil (Delo 400 etc) and it works fine.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Bandit Gazza Fri 11 Jan 2013, 8:38 pm

If the dealer didnt replace the oil filter then you should be on the phone first thing in the morning wanting to know why it wasnt changed , if it was changed you want to be on the phone in the morning wanting to why is there too much oil in the engine, you pay good money for a dealer to service your bike and I would want to know whats going on

the apprentice did it doesnt cut it

Bandit Gazza

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Sat 12 Jan 2013, 12:43 pm

I am sure the Bandit takes around 3.8L of oil. They probably had a 4L oil container and used it all, give them a call and have a chat if they stuff you about remove the oil yourself and do your own oil changes.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisMac Sat 12 Jan 2013, 1:06 pm

Tsim wrote:Well just got back from taking my Bandit in for it's 1,000 km service.

Put her up on the centre stand and check the oil sight glass window.

WTF!!!!!!! Sight glass is full, not the full line, but totally full.

Would recommend dropping all the oil, and refilling, or trying to get a little bit out.

as a side note, what oil is every one using....
Was thinking of going over to Motul 5100

Tsim, not sure if you are in Sydney but id give the Dealers a miss. If they cant even change the oil, are you going to trust them with more complex services?

Id strongly recommend The Bikesmith, details as follows;

http://www.bikesmith.com.au/

Excellent service and very fair prices. These guys are ex race bike mechanics for the WSBK paddock. Blacktown Sydney. Highly recommended.

ChrisMac
ChrisMac

Back to top Go down

Post  Tsim Sat 12 Jan 2013, 1:58 pm

Thanks ChrisMac, Will check them out. Only went to the dealer as it was its first service.
Will be doing most of the rest myself but will try the guys you recommended when I start getting into valve clearances etc

Tsim
Tsim

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimmy the Boy Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:01 pm

Tsim, I'm pretty sure you don't get a true reading whilst the bike is on the centre stand. You need to put it on the side stand, crouch down on its right side with your left hand on the seat and right hand on the bars and pull it toward yourself till it balances in the centre upright position. That may help a bit. Smile
Jimmy the Boy
Jimmy the Boy

Back to top Go down

Post  WISA Sat 12 Jan 2013, 9:51 pm

Tsim, I'm pretty sure you don't get a true reading whilst the bike is on the centre stand. You need to put it on the side stand, crouch down on its right side with your left hand on the seat and right hand on the bars and pull it toward yourself till it balances in the centre upright position. That may help a bit. Smile

You should do it by the book.....on the centre stand.

Having recently done my first Bandit oil change I realised it wasn't much different to most other bikes. The important thing is to ensure the centre stand is itself on a level surface.......otherwise the fill level in the sight glass may be easily displaced from the actual level...........When filling, only pour enough oil in to reach a point about half way between lower and upper lines (maybe the upper line with a fresh filter)....then run the engine a few minutes and turn off...wait a few more minutes for the oil level in the sump to stabilise and then top-up as necessary. Smile

WISA

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sat 12 Jan 2013, 10:57 pm

Did you check the oil the way the books tells you to or did you check it after sitting overnight because there is a noticeable difference between the result of the two.

Read the user manual and do as it says, then if the level is too high, either drain some out or replace the lot.

Go and get a oil jug (]url=http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/BMW-Measuring-Jug-Plastic-1-Litre.aspx?pid=131752]something like this is fine[/url]) mark it out in what ever increments you like so you can put in what the books tells you to when you service the bike (filter change is more oil than without a filter change). Makes life so much easier

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down