Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

brand new rear tyre......grrrrr

+2
evel75
6 posters

Go down

brand new rear tyre......grrrrr Empty brand new rear tyre......grrrrr

Post  evel75 Mon 19 Apr 2010, 8:12 pm

I put on a new rear tyre 2 weeks ago, michelin road pilot, the last one my very good mechanic has in stock ( they dont make them anymore ) and within one week i get a puncture.
i plug it myself then wake up the next morning. nope, it's gone flat. i realise that due to the puncture being at a 45 degree angle on the tyre, maybe i need a mechanic to fix it.
i head off to deus in sydney. the nice mechanic there plugs it himself and i ride home. nope, next morning, flat again. i ring up and tell him and he says bring it in so i do.
this time i stress the internal plug. the one i ask for first time. he says no problem. i pick it up that afternoon with assurances that its ok.
next morning? nope, flat again. this time i try another mechanic who does put in a mushroom plug ( he tells me the other guy did not do this despite saying he did ).

i ride home thinking, no it will be fine now. these guys are fantastic mechanics, no issue. this morning, its gone from 42 psi down to 23.....jesus christ!!!!

i ring my original mechanic ( he is quite some distance away ) and bite the bullet. "i need a new rear tyre, put one aside and i will see you on saturday!"...

so it's been 4 plugs ( one mine, 2 from dodgy mechanic and one internal from a mechanic i do trust ) and it still wont hold pressure.....christ! lol Mad Very Happy
anyway, another $350 for a new tyre. here's hoping i dont get a flat on this one soon!

thank christ for tyre and rim insurance.....i don't pay for the new tyre and one of the plugs, but christ, flat tyres.....whatever happened to running without picking one up?
evel75
evel75

Back to top Go down

brand new rear tyre......grrrrr Empty Re: brand new rear tyre......grrrrr

Post  1952 Tue 20 Apr 2010, 10:26 pm

Triple frustration + 1 bonus piece of rotten luck!
Hope the new tyre is armour plated. rabbit
Reminds me of when my wife picked up our brand new Mazda Tribute 4 wheel drive that we were going to drive around Australia in, and she collected a 6" Bolt 600 metres from our home! (I have to say that the mushroom plug repair to that tyre lasted 28,000 km - most of which included towing a dual-wheeled Jayco caravan)

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 21 Apr 2010, 3:04 pm

evel75 wrote:

so it's been 4 plugs ( one mine, 2 from dodgy mechanic and one internal from a mechanic i do trust ) and it still wont hold pressure.....christ! lol Mad Very Happy
anyway, another $350 for a new tyre. here's hoping i dont get a flat on this one soon!

thank christ for tyre and rim insurance.....i don't pay for the new tyre and one of the plugs, but christ, flat tyres.....whatever happened to running without picking one up?

I have been riding bike of all shapes and sizes on and off road for 35 years and I can say without a word of a lie each rear tire I have had has had a puncture at some stage of its life. Usually early too. Rolling Eyes The best run I have had has been about 5000km before picking up something. My current PR2 picked up one at about 2000km and has done another 12,000 without drama. Very Happy
I have only had 2 punctures on the front in that time and one was from running very low pressures in mud/sand.

Must look into this puncture insurance business too.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Thu 22 Apr 2010, 3:54 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:
evel75 wrote:

I have been riding bike of all shapes and sizes on and off road for 35 years and I can say without a word of a lie each rear tire I have had has had a puncture at some stage of its life. Usually early too. Rolling Eyes The best run I have had has been about 5000km before picking up something. My current PR2 picked up one at about 2000km and has done another 12,000 without drama. Very Happy
I have only had 2 punctures on the front in that time and one was from running very low pressures in mud/sand.

Must look into this puncture insurance business too.

I am always reluctant to comment about punctures on bikes. In nearly 15 years of riding, I've never had one. Damn, now that I've said that, I'll get 2 on the way home.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Cruisecontrol Sat 24 Apr 2010, 12:02 pm

That'll teach you to go to Deus for anything.

Bummer about the tyre but I would only ever trust a plug to get me from the side of the road to a bike shop to fit a new tyre.

Cruisecontrol

Back to top Go down

Post  1836 Sat 24 Apr 2010, 2:15 pm

I scored a rear puncture on the first day of a 2 week trip through Europe, on a Saturday afternoon and all the tyre shops were shut till Monday. We put a plug in it and it still had a small leak, so I finally cracked the shits and filled the tyre with the expandable crap in a can. It says it's a temporary fix.............it's still in there, 18 months later. I've used that tyre on long runs, blats in the hills, -5degC upto 40degC plus days, no problems. The tyre is soon to be changed, atleast I got my moneys worth cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum