Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now I can enjoy night riding

4 posters

Go down

Now I can enjoy night riding Empty Now I can enjoy night riding

Post  ThatOtherGuy Sat 01 Dec 2012, 9:53 pm

Since owning the Bandit I've never really enjoyed night riding and one particular ride up to Mt Nebo in a group really had me frustrated with the poor candles the Bandit has. I had wanted to improve the lights but did not want to add spotlights as I wanted to maintain the lines of the bike. Since I had a spare headlight assembly I figured I could try out HIDs and if it all went pear shaped no real loss. So then it was trying to find suitable HID conversion kits. Not something many stores stock over the counter for Bandits. So eventually I found this website:

https://www.ledaustralia4x4.com.au/

They sell HID kits shipped to you for $100 all inclusive, nothing more to buy, plug and play. After ordering the wrong kit initially and sending it back and chatting to the owner and giving him the exact light fitting number and Make/Model/Year (Suzuki/Bandit/2004) of bike, they sourced the kit and resent it to me for no additional cost. I thought that was brilliant in its own right (let alone the lights).

So last night I got to play and it was so easy to fit, just unplug the existing globe, plug in the new globe with trailing loom of wires and fittings, plug the loom into the original light plug and it works. Then I set about mounting the ballast and tucking away the loom wires. Ballast is bolted up behind the fairing using the back of the fairing bolts. looms cable tied to the fairing mounts. You almost wouldn't know its aftermarket. Tonight I was able to take it out at night to see what the difference is.

So what is the difference, in a word amazing. I took these photos which are not the best, but hopefully show what the HIDs are like.

Front yard low beam then high beam.
Now I can enjoy night riding DSCN0369
Now I can enjoy night riding DSCN0370

One of the roads out back in the forest near where I live, no lights.
Now I can enjoy night riding DSCN0371

Low beam.
Now I can enjoy night riding DSCN0372

High beam, that bright spot is a speed limit sign a couple of hundred metres away.
Now I can enjoy night riding DSCN0373

As for the delay in high beam engaging, yeah it does take time initially but once warmed up switching it on/off brings about almost instant brightness. Looking forward to a decent night ride now just to see how it compares to other bikes lights.
ThatOtherGuy
ThatOtherGuy

Back to top Go down

Now I can enjoy night riding Empty Re: Now I can enjoy night riding

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 02 Dec 2012, 7:29 am

Goo dresult and good service from the supplier - a win win. cheers
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Sun 02 Dec 2012, 9:29 am

What wattage did you get? because my HIDs are nowhere near as good as that

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatOtherGuy Sun 02 Dec 2012, 4:31 pm

I didn't want to tinker with the standard wiring so stuck with a standard 55W, 6000k set up. I have to say I am very happy. Did a long ride today to scrub in the new tyres that were fitted yesterday (PR3's) so I could also then monitor the lamp heat and see if it would affect the housing. Barely much difference to the standard halogen bulbs in terms of lamp heat.
ThatOtherGuy
ThatOtherGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sun 02 Dec 2012, 9:55 pm

I checked out the site TOG. Was it a simple plug n play change over ?
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatOtherGuy Mon 03 Dec 2012, 6:23 am

Yes it was, you get the HID bulb which plugs into the ballast unit and then the standard plug plugging into the bike light plug, no mess, no fuss. Ballast unit has a couple of standard mounting holes, plus a plate to screw it to that you can then screw down. I added the plate so I could then screw that down using the fairing bolts. Then added some cable ties just to hold the wires in place. Everything is fairly neatly tucked away. It was a very simple solution. The instructions will say you need to drill out the housing to accept the lamp, this is not the case for mine at least, make sure you try it before doing any drilling.
ThatOtherGuy
ThatOtherGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 03 Dec 2012, 8:12 am

ThatOtherGuy wrote:I didn't want to tinker with the standard wiring so stuck with a standard 55W, 6000k set up. I have to say I am very happy. Did a long ride today to scrub in the new tyres that were fitted yesterday (PR3's) so I could also then monitor the lamp heat and see if it would affect the housing. Barely much difference to the standard halogen bulbs in terms of lamp heat.

Looks like I'm going to have to upgrade mine because mine are only 35W 6000k and although better than standard their not the quantum leap in performance I was expecting

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatOtherGuy Mon 03 Dec 2012, 8:22 am

madmax wrote:
ThatOtherGuy wrote:I didn't want to tinker with the standard wiring so stuck with a standard 55W, 6000k set up. I have to say I am very happy. Did a long ride today to scrub in the new tyres that were fitted yesterday (PR3's) so I could also then monitor the lamp heat and see if it would affect the housing. Barely much difference to the standard halogen bulbs in terms of lamp heat.

Looks like I'm going to have to upgrade mine because mine are only 35W 6000k and although better than standard their not the quantum leap in performance I was expecting
I figured don't go over the wattage (wiring remains unchanged) but monitor the lamp heat. Overall I got it right (for a change) so very happy.
ThatOtherGuy
ThatOtherGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 03 Dec 2012, 4:49 pm

ThatOtherGuy wrote:
madmax wrote:

I figured don't go over the wattage (wiring remains unchanged) but monitor the lamp heat. Overall I got it right (for a change) so very happy.

Your right I wouldn't go over 55W

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum