Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Chain. Online V Local

+4
gus
Hammy
Dekenai
ThatOtherGuy
8 posters

Go down

New Chain.  Online V Local Empty New Chain. Online V Local

Post  ThatOtherGuy Sun 18 Nov 2012, 9:53 am

As part of my normal preventative maintenance I do on the motorbikes I'll be changing the Bandit's chain over soon.

So now comes the proverbial online versus local purchase. I've already ordered a chain rivet tool as in the past the other bikes have been smaller engined and I'm happy to have used joiners. However with the Bandit I prefer a little more security so will rivet the chain.

So for those in Brisbane do you have a local supplier you prefer? For everyone is there an online supplier that does good deals on chains? Looking to continue with an O-ring chain if that makes any difference to suggestions.

I don't mind paying a small premium for local service, I define small premium as being in the region of not more than 25% of online purchase landed at my doorstep.
ThatOtherGuy
ThatOtherGuy

Back to top Go down

New Chain.  Online V Local Empty Re: New Chain. Online V Local

Post  Dekenai Sun 18 Nov 2012, 10:20 am

I have bought several DID chains off this guy http://myworld.ebay.com.au/didchains/, if he doesn't have what you require listed, ask and he will put it up for you. I generally go for a ZVM2 (road). This is an x-ring chain, I am also happy to use the RK equivalent.

Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:16 am

I have always been a believer that, when it was time for a new chain. It was time to replace the sprockets as well. Kinda like replacing the oil but leaving a dirty oil filter in. In answer to your question, I'm sorry I have had no local dealings in this. Last C&S replacement I did was done by a workshop on my Blackbird. Best of luck.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 18 Nov 2012, 1:15 pm

Local mechanic .He got it from LINK .(rk ) Freight is the killer on E.Bay plus i wanted it tomorror not in 2 weeks .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 1:20 pm

I'm going to replace the chain and sprockets at the forthcoming 42,000kms service and have the same question. But I'm inclined to just get OEM stuff fitted as I can't complain about longevity from the original set.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatOtherGuy Sun 18 Nov 2012, 6:54 pm

I know there are many opinions on chains only and chains & sprockets when it comes to replacement. I prefer to replace my chain early before to much wear happens at the sprockets. that way I always know the chain is never a weak point in the drive train and I get a decent life out of the sprockets. at worst I may replace the front earlier.
ThatOtherGuy
ThatOtherGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Sun 18 Nov 2012, 9:19 pm

The thing to consider TOG is that a new chain and sprockets will fit each other perfectly. A new chain on an old sprocket will not.Instant wear. Worth the extra few bucks I recon for peace of mind.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Mon 19 Nov 2012, 5:49 am

Hammy wrote:The thing to consider TOG is that a new chain and sprockets will fit each other perfectly. A new chain on an old sprocket will not.Instant wear. Worth the extra few bucks I recon for peace of mind.

+1.

Jakewilson.com = Top price, service and delivery.
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Mon 19 Nov 2012, 11:34 am

Jakewilson's orders normally take 3-4 days to your door too.

I've ordered a couple of sets of tyres from them and they arrived in 3 days from ordering. Can't fault that service.
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Tue 20 Nov 2012, 8:10 pm

Slipstream Performance on the gold coast is were i got mine Overnight

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Slipstream-Performance-Parts/Chains-/_i.html?_fsub=408174319&_sid=30360069&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

have bought a few things off them and they have been great

i also did chain and sprockets
https://nswbandits.forumotion.net/t2489-new-chain-and-sprockets?highlight=chain

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatOtherGuy Tue 20 Nov 2012, 11:45 pm

I actually found out from the former owner when the chain and sprockets were last done, based on that info I may end up doing everything anyway. I haven't yet pulled the front cover off so have not inspected the front sprocket.

thanks all so far for the tips on suppliers. I'll research them all and advise who I went with and results of the research.
ThatOtherGuy
ThatOtherGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down