Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Skins Paint Protection

+3
Ewok1958
2wheelsagain
kewwig
7 posters

Go down

Custom Skins Paint Protection Empty Custom Skins Paint Protection

Post  kewwig Wed 13 Jun 2012, 7:22 pm

A couple of years ago I got a custom skins set from http://customskins.co.nz/

This is a clear, thin film 3M type product that leaves a virtually invisible tough clear plastic film on the bike. The basic GSF1250 kit covered the tank where your knees rub (one piece from cutout to cutout around the back of the tank), plus pieces for the front of the fairing, headlight, and rear cowling.

In situ you can't really notice it as it's thin and moulds perfectly.

It wasn't easy to fit, and you apply it with wet soapy water and a special squeegee (all supplied). I have had it on 2 years and like it. I need to get a new set to cover my new upper fairing and made contact with the supplier here in Wellington who can custom cut a set for me. I have asked about getting some custom made for the high wear areas on the lower fairing where stones typically hit it. They don't currently make a lower fairing kit for the GSF1250S. He can do this if I leave the fairings with him for half a day, and I have a spare set I can leave him

I haven't found such a kit for the GSF1250SA that covers the lower fairing anywhere in the world and thought I'd gauge interest to see if I can negotiate a good price for forum members. He already does the GSX1250FA (http://customskins.co.nz/shop/suzuki-gsx1250fa-2010), so is there any interest in the GSF1250SA with lower fairing? If so, I'll send him the link to the forum.

The GSX1250FA kit is NZD$245 (AUD $190), so it's not cheap, but I can vouch for it lasting.
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Custom Skins Paint Protection Empty Re: Custom Skins Paint Protection

Post  2wheelsagain Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:26 pm

This stuff?

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:31 pm

Yes. Looks just like that. I see they do the standard S model but not the factory lower fairing
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:33 pm

And if you use throw-over soft panniers you'll need to cover that back area where they rub (or else yours will look like mine Crying or Very sad - I believe it's referred to as 'adding character'). Laughing
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  barry_mcki Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:38 pm

Hi KW, I am pretty sure your lower fairings are the same as mine however others might have something different, I think I saw 4 different types when I was looking for mine.

I believe you did a show-n-tell when you redid your bike after the mishap with the grease trap, you might want to display one or two photos of the type of fairing you are getting the skins made for.

Custom Skins Paint Protection Sideca10

Red 2007 GSF-1250S with SRK Premier Sidecar
barry_mcki
barry_mcki

http://g.co/maps/vb84k

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:39 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:And if you use throw-over soft panniers you'll need to cover that back area where they rub (or else yours will look like mine Crying or Very sad - I believe it's referred to as 'adding character'). Laughing

The kit I got covered the sides of the rear cowl to protect it
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Wed 13 Jun 2012, 8:53 pm

have a look here www.ducoscratch.com.au theirs is dearer than your quote..$235 but it looks like a full kit
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Wed 13 Jun 2012, 9:19 pm

My paint work is too far gone for this. If I strip the bike in a year or so and get it resprayed I'll definitely be keen. The Suzuki OEM paint is so thin it chips off when bugs hit it let alone stones or anything else
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Wed 13 Jun 2012, 11:31 pm

This kind of thing is not that difficult to do yourself. You can buy the 3M adhesive clear plastic. Cut out the shapes. And with the aid of a sqwerty bottle with a couple of drops of dishwasing liquid added to the water, it is easy to apply them yourself.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  kewwig Thu 14 Jun 2012, 6:39 pm

mtbeerwah wrote:have a look here www.ducoscratch.com.au theirs is dearer than your quote..$235 but it looks like a full kit

The GSF1250S kit they sell (the MY07 full kit - http://www.ducoscratch.com.au/proddetail.asp?prod=Suzuki1200SBanditMY07FullKit) is what I have fitted here in NZ. The two "lower bikini fairing" bits are for the lower parts of the upper fairing, and not the factory lowers.

For barry_mcki, the fairings I have are the OEM Suzuki part number 990D0-18H20-YHL

Custom Skins Paint Protection Dscf4729

Custom Skins Paint Protection Dscf4730
kewwig
kewwig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum