Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brave or Stupid?

+6
mtbeerwah
Hammy
madmax
Jimcoleman
Ewok1958
2wheelsagain
10 posters

Go down

Brave or Stupid? Empty Brave or Stupid?

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 11 Jun 2012, 8:43 pm

Set off from Sale at 7:45 this morning in the cold and fog. I knew it was foggy and thought it was cold but not until I checked the 24hr graph tonight and see it was -.6 Shocked
Had the thickest fog I have ever ridden in all the way to Melb and I was tempted to turn around a couple of times. The first time was 5km from home Rolling Eyes anyway I pushed on and rode the whole way with the visor up wiping my sunnies off every couple of minutes. I'm not game to work out the chill factor of 220km in those conditions. It was 10 degree when I got home. Almost balmy Laughing
Mrs went crook at me for not taking the car and if I'm faced with it again I probably will. Its not fun not seeing more than 30m in front of you. Lucky I know the Princes Hwy.
How much moisture is enough to put the flame out in these engines? I would prefer heavy rain to that fog any day.

Anyway I learnt some cred at the other end and I made it home in one piece so all in all it was a good day. Buggered now though. Smile

Oh neck socks fill with snot if you have your visor open Laughing

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Brave or Stupid? Empty Re: Brave or Stupid?

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:10 pm

Mate, I'm 100% with you on the rain beats fog. I'm surprised you weren't getting frozen fog on the visor, which is what happened to me last year between Canberra and Cooma. Just couldn't clear it off before it froze. Vision was crap and had to ride with the visor up - talk about sting the eyes and face. How did your gear hold up, particularly the gloves (or do you have heated grips)?
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:22 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:Mate, I'm 100% with you on the rain beats fog. I'm surprised you weren't getting frozen fog on the visor, which is what happened to me last year between Canberra and Cooma. Just couldn't clear it off before it froze. Vision was crap and had to ride with the visor up - talk about sting the eyes and face. How did your gear hold up, particularly the gloves (or do you have heated grips)?

Mate no soft coq heated grips for me Twisted Evil Had Rjays summer gloves dragon jeans leather Brando jacket with work polar fleece jacket under it (only jacket I have that I can wear another under it) and a neck sock and sunglasses (impact resistant) the Bandit offers me pretty good knee weather protection. Better than the FZ1. Couldn't see a thing with the visor down but probably too damp to freeze. Just wouldn't blow off.

I got to a certain level of cold and got used to it. Fingers weren't too bad actually. Got a massive headache now from the wind I think.

First ride with a neck sock. Happy with it over all. Certainly cuts down the wind getting under the helmet and reduces the noise. Didn't need ear plugs Smile

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:35 pm

I've been trying the neck sock and a balaclava (not at the same time). I'm liking the balaclava a lot, but it does need more washing! It seems to keep more air off the face overall. I've been using an Oxford one ($10) and bought a Dririder on Saturday ($15) - I can't imagine it would be much different.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimcoleman Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:37 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:
Ewok1958 wrote:Mate, I'm 100% with you on the rain beats fog. I'm surprised you weren't getting frozen fog on the visor, which is what happened to me last year between Canberra and Cooma. Just couldn't clear it off before it froze. Vision was crap and had to ride with the visor up - talk about sting the eyes and face. How did your gear hold up, particularly the gloves (or do you have heated grips)?

Mate no soft coq heated grips for me Twisted Evil Had Rjays summer gloves dragon jeans leather Brando jacket with work polar fleece jacket under it (only jacket I have that I can wear another under it) and a neck sock and sunglasses (impact resistant) the Bandit offers me pretty good knee weather protection. Better than the FZ1. Couldn't see a thing with the visor down but probably too damp to freeze. Just wouldn't blow off.

I got to a certain level of cold and got used to it. Fingers weren't too bad actually. Got a massive headache now from the wind I think.

First ride with a neck sock. Happy with it over all. Certainly cuts down the wind getting under the helmet and reduces the noise. Didn't need ear plugs Smile

SOFT COQ !!! As i get older i get wiser, heated grips just make that unpleasantness of inclement wheather just a little more pleasant. The excuse for not having them in the southern states is null and void, i'm old enough and paid my dues for some creature comforts so i'm all for heated grips , actually whoes tried one of those heated vest or better still climate control for bikes now there is a winner ......just saying

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:05 pm

I guess there is a lot of soft coqs out there, including me Laughing

Last edited by madmax on Tue 12 Jun 2012, 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Tue 12 Jun 2012, 5:52 am

Top marks for Bravery. Stupidity ? I'll reserve judgement. Very Happy Fog can be a KILLER !
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Tue 12 Jun 2012, 6:52 pm

agreed, not a fan of fog, your literally riding blind,i`ve come within inches of death a couple of times with cattle on the road
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Tue 12 Jun 2012, 11:32 pm

The best is when the fog is low and you are above it, but the headlight is below it. Man what a rush! The only way to know where you're going is by watching the white posts.
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustic Wed 13 Jun 2012, 4:51 pm

I'll post over a cup of concrete for you to drink...

So you can harden up!!! lol!

The More People I Meet
The More I like My Dog
Rustic
Rustic

https://s1165.photobucket.com/profile/Rustic101/index

Back to top Go down

Post  grahame Thu 14 Jun 2012, 4:08 pm

Brave
grahame
grahame

Back to top Go down

Post  Boatz Thu 14 Jun 2012, 7:30 pm

I'd have to say a bit of both. Sometimes we do these things.

Maintenance Tip " IT'S NOT RIGHT TILL ALL THE BOLTS ARE TIGHT"
Boatz
Boatz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum