Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ducati Vindaloo maybe?

+9
Re-Cycled
gus
mtbeerwah
whitey1
Hammy
chips
paul
2wheelsagain
Ross.
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ducati Vindaloo maybe? Empty Ducati Vindaloo maybe?

Post  Ross. Mon 12 Mar 2012, 8:46 am

http://www.gizmag.com/hero-motocorp-worlds-largest-motorcycle-manufacturer-ducati-purchase/21725/

If you've been having trouble comfortably wrapping your brain cells around the concept of what were once proud national symbols of excellence changing countries, such as the Malaysian-owned Lotus, the Chinese-owned Saab and MG or the Indian Jaguar and Range Rover, then please be seated before reading further. It seems that India's Hero MotoCorp, the world's largest manufacturer of both bicycles and motorcycles is considering the purchase of Italy's deeply loved manufacturer of sports motorcycles, Ducati.

To think that a brand that so closely aligns with Italian excellence and pride might become a symbol of India's rise to power is possibly unthinkable to the Ducati faithful, but the cold hard facts are that Ducati is up for sale, with a reported price tag of around a billion dollars, and with its own MotoGP programme, superbike heritage, technology and design, it's the perfect fit for a company like Hero that has 3,000 dealerships and needs a new non-Honda range of motorcycles just a few years from now.

Hero has grown rapidly as India has motorized, and recently ended its 25 year association with Honda Motor Corp. With cash reserves believed to be in the vicinity of US$1,000 million dollars, the company is now in acquisition mode as it seeks to replace Honda's technology with its own.

Most major automotive and motorcycle manufacturers have built their company on the home market initially, and Hero already has built itself a sizeable fortune selling low-priced scooters and motorcycles to the world's second largest country.

Just as automotive manufacturers are lining up for a crack at the burgeoning Chinese automotive market, the opportunity in India may be trailing the Chinese market penetration of the automobile, but the opportunity is even greater.

In 2009, China had a per capita vehicle ownership of 128 per thousand people (0.128). If it had the same per capita car ownership figure as the US currently has, there's be double the number of cars on the planet. Remarkably, China's per capita vehicle ownership levels are the same as America's were in 1923.

India's population will be the largest of any country 30 years from now - 1.5 billion human beings.

India's vehicle ownership ratios are currently the same as America's were in 1912 - when the Model T Ford was top seller.

Between now and when the Indian population can afford to buy cars, they will buy motorcycles. Last year just shy of 10 million motorcycles were sold in India, and Hero MotoCorp is planning to sell that many of its own brand just four years from now.

Hero famously got its start manufacturing bicycles for the home market in 1956, evolving from a family-owned bicycle parts business established in post-ww2 Amritsar. As India's massive population needed transport the company's bicycle manufacturing business grew every year, becoming the largest bicycle manufacturer in the world during the 1980s.

Using the cash generated by the bicycle business, Hero diversified and in 1984, partnered with Honda to create Hero Honda. The company's success has been astounding since.

By 2004, Hero Honda had become the world' largest manufacturer of two-wheelers, driven by its dominant 50% share of the Indian market.

The high standards of the company's manufacturing capability need little validating other than a list of clients for which it manufactures a comprehensive array of high tech parts, from engines to entire vehicles - Toyota, Nissan, General Motors, Rotax, BMW, Bosch and LG.

In 2010, Honda sold its shares in Hero Honda to the Munjal family and has set up in India to produce its own motorcycles independently, while Hero Honda has become Hero MotoCorp and intends to go it alone. The upside of owning its own technology is that it can apply its massive manufacturing scale to supply motorcycles worldwide, and obviously, Ducati's global network provides another opportunity for expansion.

The contract with Honda involves the continued supply of Honda models and technology until 2014 - after that, all Hero's designs and technology will need to be licensed, purchased or developed.

Acquisitions is the route the company has decided to take and it recently entered into a partnership with Erik Buell which might well see Erik one day given the opportunity to design whole motorcycles without needing a legacy powerplant. That's exciting in its own right.

As I write this, I am wondering just what the general reaction of Ducati fans might be. If Ferrari, a company so closely aligned with Ducati that they share race sponsors and even press events, were to be offered for sale to any foreign company, I suspect there might be government intervention.

That's unlikely to happen with Ducati - it's clearly for sale and money talks all languages, so unless an Italian buyer emerges, Hero MotoCorp might well become the proud owner of one of Italy's most visibly successful companies.

It's far too soon for any indications on what Hero might do with the Ducati brand and its technologies but anything is possible. If you have fears that the Ducati name will be discontinued, fear not - there's plenty of life in the company yet, just maybe not in Italy.

Iconic national symbols have been treated well by India in the past, with Range Rover and Jaguar strengthening their positions under Tata, and even the Royal Enfield Bullet is still manufactured and sold in India.

It's also quite ironic that Hero's main local competitor, Bajaj Motors, owns 40% of another iconic national motorcycle manufacturer - Austria's KTM. Bajaj recently opened 34 KTM stores in India and is heavily promoting the Duke 200 sports bike to the growing sports bike market.

One of the strongest possibilities if the Ducati sale goes through to Hero, is that we are almost certain to see small capacity Ducati sports bikes again.

Last edited by Ross. on Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Ross.

http://rossmz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Ducati Vindaloo maybe? Empty Re: Ducati Vindaloo maybe?

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:47 am

Its the new world order.
When you apply for a new bike loan over the phone you'll be speaking to an Indian anyway. Bastard banks!

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Ducati Vindaloo maybe? Empty Re: Ducati Vinadloo maybe?

Post  paul Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:02 am

sign of the times unfortunately

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:43 am

Why is it unfortunately?

Through out time Australia's ancestors (England) have raped and pillaged (figuratively, although literally as well) India and other Asian countries.

Now they are just getting their own back. Due to westerners selfish ways of living (capitalism) we prospered for many years by allowing the poor to remain poor. Now that they are using our own economic system to generate wealth we speak as if it is a bad thing. Yet they are just doing what we have been preaching to them.

Well I say FUCK YOU, and all the more power to India and the rest of Asia. Get use to it, next world power will be India.... And I bet they do a much better job than the US as of late.

BTW, I'm 50% Indian so I might be a little bit biased. But I have also driven and rode NEW Indian cars and bikes and I must say the quality of the product is getting better and better every generation. I would buy Indian before Chinese when it comes to cars and bikes....

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Mon 12 Mar 2012, 10:44 am

2wheelsagain wrote:Its the new world order.
When you apply for a new bike loan over the phone you'll be speaking to an Indian anyway. Bastard banks!

LOL, again another sign of our selfishness. Indians pay cash, we need a loan....

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:30 am

chips wrote:Why is it unfortunately?

Through out time Australia's ancestors (England) have raped and pillaged (figuratively, although literally as well) India and other Asian countries.

Now they are just getting their own back. Due to westerners selfish ways of living (capitalism) we prospered for many years by allowing the poor to remain poor. Now that they are using our own economic system to generate wealth we speak as if it is a bad thing. Yet they are just doing what we have been preaching to them.

Well I say FUCK YOU, and all the more power to India and the rest of Asia. Get use to it, next world power will be India.... And I bet they do a much better job than the US as of late.

BTW, I'm 50% Indian so I might be a little bit biased. But I have also driven and rode NEW Indian cars and bikes and I must say the quality of the product is getting better and better every generation. I would buy Indian before Chinese when it comes to cars and bikes....

You need to pull your head in a bit Chips the unfortunately referred to yet another motorcycle manufacturer loosing some of its heritage just as the British ,American & European both car and motorcycle manufacturers have in the past which like it or not is an unfortunate circumstance . If you want to jump on your soap box do it somewhere else not in a motorcycle forum !

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:41 am

paul wrote:

You need to pull your head in a bit Chips the unfortunately referred to yet another motorcycle manufacturer loosing some of its heritage just as the British ,American & European both car and motorcycle manufacturers have in the past which like it or not is an unfortunate circumstance . If you want to jump on your soap box do it somewhere else not in a motorcycle forum !

You express your opinion, I express mine.

What is wrong with a non-Italian company owning an Italian brand?

What has changed with Jag, Range Rover, or any of the other brands that have been bought by Asians. Nothing.... Because they aren't there to make it different, just to improve the business model to make it profitable.... Can't blame them for being better at running a business.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Mon 12 Mar 2012, 11:57 am

If better business running or ethics means using cheap, next to slave labour to manufacture your item. Then count me out. I really cant see how some of these CEOs sleep at night after cutting jobs in their home country and shipping work overseas to benefit from the disgustingly low wages that they can get. I cannot see a positve in that.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 12 Mar 2012, 3:42 pm

The Indian business model also involves "employing" family members.
We now have 3 service stations in Sale owned/operated by Indians.
Not one of them employs an Anglo now.
How racist is that?

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey1 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 6:58 pm

paul wrote:

Thats a bit harsh isn't it Paul? It is in the Off Topic section after all.
whitey1
whitey1

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:10 pm

whitey1 wrote:
paul wrote:

Thats a bit harsh isn't it Paul? It is in the Off Topic section after all.

No I don`t believe so // terms such as fucking funny - fine/ what the fuck - fine / fuck you & in the manner which it was meant is neither appropriate or acceptable on a public forum , whether said in an off topic or not. Discussion is always welcomed but when the discussion drops to insult , then something needs to be said which I did.

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey1 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:26 pm

Yeah sorry, I just re-read that and your right in that respect about the f u comment.
whitey1
whitey1

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Mon 12 Mar 2012, 9:31 pm

whitey1 wrote:Yeah sorry, I just re-read that and your right in that respect about the f u comment.

No problems ; been , gone , done & dusted .All good

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:34 am

the fuck you was not directed at you.

It was directed at the barrage of comments surrounding this topic I hear all the time and I'm over it.....

Last edited by chips on Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
chips
chips

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Tue 13 Mar 2012, 12:39 am

Hammy wrote:If better business running or ethics means using cheap, next to slave labour to manufacture your item. Then count me out. I really cant see how some of these CEOs sleep at night after cutting jobs in their home country and shipping work overseas to benefit from the disgustingly low wages that they can get. I cannot see a positve in that.

How about you travel to the country and see how much change the "slave labour" is making to the masses of people.

Until you go and see for yourself, then shut up because you are just buying into the bullshit that is being spread. Yes, slave labour exists, but generally the western companies that are using "cheap" Indian labour actually pay pretty well.....

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Tue 13 Mar 2012, 8:27 am

Shut up, should I Chips ? Maybe you should take some of your own advice. Do you actually comprehend what people say on this forum, or are you like one of those telephone call centre operators that has NO grasp of the english language at all. Just step back a yard Rover. ( Aussie slang ) Cause your lack of years are starting to show through. By the way. I will put my vast years of overseas travel up against yours any day of the week.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ross. Tue 13 Mar 2012, 8:44 am

I wish I had not posted this up here now had I have known it would lead to all of this.

Ross.

http://rossmz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Tue 13 Mar 2012, 9:07 am

Not at all Ross. It is an interesting news item. You are not responsible for others comments. Could you imagine the outcry if Ferrari announced that they would be building their cars in say, Pakistan ? Note. No offence to Pakistan or its people. They rig a very good cricket match. Laughing
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  mtbeerwah Tue 13 Mar 2012, 2:36 pm

I`m eatting popcorn along for the ride
mtbeerwah
mtbeerwah

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Tue 13 Mar 2012, 6:26 pm

Do you know me Hammy? i simply said go to the country and then tell me that what their staff are paid is a pittance. Just because it doesn't compare to Australian incomes doesn't mean that it is slave labour.

I was born here, on my mum's side our family has been here for several generations, she is a white as any of you.

My dad came here in his early 20's. Ended up a respected doctor teaching aussies and others to be better doctors and also served overseas on several occasions as a member of your army reaching the rank of major.

I have lived here my whole life except for some brief periods overseas as a child. I was born here in Brisbane, went to school for 12 years in brisbane, am a 4th year student at UQ. I have worked within my family business and well as other companies and small family businesses. I consider myself Australian and Indian. I know it may be hard for you to comprehend but you can be both.

I'm 25 and have probably had the experiences of a 50 year old in my short life. If you ever want to sit down with me some time Hammy you might actually learn something.

My years may be showing through, but your racist views are clear as day......

And also, thanks Ross for posting the article. I enjoyed reading it.

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 13 Mar 2012, 8:01 pm

Has anyone ridden a Ducati latley ?
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Tue 13 Mar 2012, 8:11 pm

gus wrote:Has anyone ridden a Ducati latley ?

No, but I had some Lamb Korma. Smile

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Tue 13 Mar 2012, 8:12 pm

gus wrote:Has anyone ridden a Ducati latley ?

No Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Tue 13 Mar 2012, 9:14 pm

This thread is turning into a personal slanging match which is boring and unwanted.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Hammy Wed 14 Mar 2012, 12:00 am

chips wrote:Do you know me Hammy? i simply said go to the country and then tell me that what their staff are paid is a pittance. Just because it doesn't compare to Australian incomes doesn't mean that it is slave labour.

I was born here, on my mum's side our family has been here for several generations, she is a white as any of you.

My dad came here in his early 20's. Ended up a respected doctor teaching aussies and others to be better doctors and also served overseas on several occasions as a member of your army reaching the rank of major.

I have lived here my whole life except for some brief periods overseas as a child. I was born here in Brisbane, went to school for 12 years in brisbane, am a 4th year student at UQ. I have worked within my family business and well as other companies and small family businesses. I consider myself Australian and Indian. I know it may be hard for you to comprehend but you can be both.

I'm 25 and have probably had the experiences of a 50 year old in my short life. If you ever want to sit down with me some time Hammy you might actually learn something.

My years may be showing through, but your racist views are clear as day......

And also, thanks Ross for posting the article. I enjoyed reading it.

You are a Dick Head Chips. And that is something I don't wish to learn. "Racist views" Where ? No wonder people are leaving this site.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum