Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Owner - Clunking Gears

+25
F
Chook
rolls
kewwig
mtbeerwah
Rustic
Thof
OLDANNAKED
Kaupy1962
dhula
reddog
chips
gazzar
holdenman
2010banditsa
Tommo1965
Ewok1958
Dekenai
paul
gus
b12mick
2wheelsagain
madmax
Hammy
quizguy
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Owner - Clunking Gears Empty New Owner - Clunking Gears

Post  quizguy Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:12 am

Hi Guys, i did my welcome thing in new members but I have a pile of different questions and who better to ask than you... My newish 2010 1250s has only 1700ks on it and i am just hoping this is cause its not really run in but it clunks!
from Neutral to first then to 2nd too ... I have been riding for 30 years and this is pretty bad.. Does it get better? is it the oils as i have seen written elswhere?
I am trying to be gentle but I cant seem to get a clean change...grrrr.

Also Pipes... I am still under warranty so dont want to cahnge pipes just yet but do eventually want to get the 44 gallon drum off the side ... Recommendations..under $500 please.. I have seen some on ebay for $170 or so..any good...

Wow Ive got more to ask but wont do too much in one hit.. Thanks for reading... affraid
quizguy
quizguy

http://www.scorpioduo.com/   http://www.triviashow.net/

Back to top Go down

New Owner - Clunking Gears Empty Re: New Owner - Clunking Gears

Post  Hammy Thu 12 Jan 2012, 12:25 pm

A lot of the time it comes down to something as simple as Oil. If a cheap full mineral oil has been used. Even some cheap synthetics. The Bandits seem two preferre only a hand full of different oils ( from what I have read ). Am sure that owners here of your model will be helpfull.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax Thu 12 Jan 2012, 12:26 pm

quizguy wrote:Hi Guys, i did my welcome thing in new members but I have a pile of different questions and who better to ask than you... My newish 2010 1250s has only 1700ks on it and i am just hoping this is cause its not really run in but it clunks!
from Neutral to first then to 2nd too ... I have been riding for 30 years and this is pretty bad.. Does it get better? is it the oils as i have seen written elswhere?
I am trying to be gentle but I cant seem to get a clean change...grrrr.

Also Pipes... I am still under warranty so dont want to cahnge pipes just yet but do eventually want to get the 44 gallon drum off the side ... Recommendations..under $500 please.. I have seen some on ebay for $170 or so..any good...

Wow Ive got more to ask but wont do too much in one hit.. Thanks for reading... affraid

My gearbox is a little clunky, I just put it down to being new, previous bike was the same. That got better but never went smooth. Yes you could try different oils.

You'll get a Yoshimura exhaust for less than $500. As for warranty my dealer told me they'd never had a problem yet with Suzuki Australia over an aftemarket exhaust.

madmax
madmax

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:05 pm

You’ll need to be firm with the shifting but it does get better with 20,000km through the box.
The box is always smoother with new oil but don’t be in a hurry to switch from full mineral. I think mine did 12,000 on mineral.
The crunching into second has me a bit puzzled though.
Can you engage first at a standstill without the bike trying to drive. In other words is the clutch not dragging?

Like the whole bandit the gearbox is made big and heavy. Just be firm.
You could swap the oil to see if it makes any difference.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  quizguy Thu 12 Jan 2012, 3:08 pm

Thanks for the quick response.. clutch is not dragging and the clunk from 1st to 2nd is nowhere near as bad from 0 to 1st.. I just wanted to be re assured I hadnt got a dud... Man I love the bike so far, cant wait to get it on the open road. the most powerful bike Ive owned yet it handles like a mid sized bike. Thanks all
quizguy
quizguy

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Thu 12 Jan 2012, 4:17 pm

My '02 1200 regularly clunks in to first, has done since the day I bought with zero km on it. The only time I get a clunk in to any other gear is when I've screwed up. Like after finding a false neutral because I've been lazy.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Thu 12 Jan 2012, 4:48 pm

They get better with age ,i was a little disapointed at first .Not as good as the 1200 box but ok .
Check chain is not too loose .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Thu 12 Jan 2012, 5:02 pm

My 1250 box was very clunky and started to come good around 10,00km and now at 14,000 km its butter smooth . I commuted a fair bit at the start in peak hour traffic which I think helped .I changed to Motul 5100 semi at 6,000km but as I say it had a lot of gear changes under its belt by then . Going into first at the lights from stand still will always give a clunk .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Dekenai Thu 12 Jan 2012, 5:39 pm

I'm with Gus, check your chain tension,

Cheers
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Thu 12 Jan 2012, 6:05 pm

My 2010 1250s clunks solidly (read badly) going into first and can even refuse to change into fourth if I accelerate hard (unless I back off and retry). It has 24,000kms on it and it hasn't changed much since new. I agree that different oils make a difference and it is always better with fresh oil. Adjusting the linkage also helped - I adjusted it so the lever went down closer to the boot - that may suggest it is also a technique thing.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommo1965 Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:03 pm

mine clunks into first from neutral..its worse if the motors warm..from then If I try quick changes I sometimes come undone..if I give the bike enough time its all good.. I've also experienced a bit of chain slap...this is the first big road bike Ive had with a chain..all the others were shaft..its a learning thing for me ...

Tommo1965

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Thu 12 Jan 2012, 10:26 pm

Ewok1958 wrote:My 2010 1250s clunks solidly (read badly) going into first and can even refuse to change into fourth if I accelerate hard (unless I back off and retry). It has 24,000kms on it and it hasn't changed much since new. I agree that different oils make a difference and it is always better with fresh oil. Adjusting the linkage also helped - I adjusted it so the lever went down closer to the boot - that may suggest it is also a technique thing.

I think the gear box is another thing that's just not quite finished on the B1250.
Mine is pretty good and I've never had a false nuteral but its not the slick box Suzuki is known for.
My tuning fork bikes box is as light as a 250 in comparison.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  2010banditsa Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:24 pm

dont most bikes clunk from N to 1 though?
2010banditsa
2010banditsa

Back to top Go down

Post  holdenman Fri 13 Jan 2012, 8:48 am

2010banditsa wrote:dont most bikes clunk from N to 1 though?

.Yes , its the way motorcycle gearboxes are made you are always going to get some sought of clunk

My gearbox feels a lot better at 50000km then it did at 20000km, but its still needs a nice quick solid shift.

2007 Bandit 1250S
holdenman
holdenman

Back to top Go down

Post  gazzar Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:02 am

4 a nice billet muff,2 1/4" solid stainless,great note,great price $39 + postage, Shocked try a place called ROADSTAR AUTOPARTS Hornsby,NSW,02 94777666 , also has Ebay store where u can c what the item looks like an at that price u got nothin 2 lose Cool
gazzar
gazzar

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Tue 17 Jan 2012, 10:45 am

the gearbox on my 1200s is sliky smooth. Why is it that the the 1250s feels like a backward step in so many ways to the 1200s ?

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Tue 17 Jan 2012, 1:53 pm

My gearbox is fine, it loosened up around 12000-15000kms. I run Belray semi synthetic and it makes the gearbox very smooth, I've tried Silkolene full synthetic and that made it feel horrible and notchy
reddog
reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Tue 17 Jan 2012, 3:01 pm

The gearbox clunks, I'm sure it was made for a mack truck. Suould try a Vee strom gearbag, specially the big jump between 1st and 2nd. A bit of time, suitable oil (I used dino and found it fine), mechanical sympathy and the right technique are all that is needed.
Exhaust, my suggestion is a beowulf exhaust. Nice sound, good value, never needs repacking, easy to use noise insert, lighter, looks the part

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 17 Jan 2012, 5:43 pm

dhula wrote:The gearbox clunks, I'm sure it was made for a mack truck. Suould try a Vee strom gearbag, specially the big jump between 1st and 2nd. A bit of time, suitable oil (I used dino and found it fine), mechanical sympathy and the right technique are all that is needed.
Exhaust, my suggestion is a beowulf exhaust. Nice sound, good value, never needs repacking, easy to use noise insert, lighter, looks the part

dhula and I are Beowulf whores but I fully agree with him Laughing
Not every can has to start with Y

Last edited by 2wheelsagain on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaupy1962 Wed 18 Jan 2012, 11:51 pm

They all clunk. Even worse if the chain's a bit loose.
Kaupy1962
Kaupy1962

Back to top Go down

New Owner - Clunking Gears Empty gearbox clunk ??

Post  OLDANNAKED Fri 20 Jan 2012, 8:49 pm

Well guys I must be one of the lucky one's since changing to motul oil on last service my gearbox is no different to any other 1250 box and clunks into first but every other change up or down is silky smooth even with no clutch , if you want no clunk buy a 1050 speed triple they are like putting a car into first, bugger all clunk my son has one and its weird riding it amazing gearbox.
OLDANNAKED
OLDANNAKED

Back to top Go down

Post  Thof Fri 20 Jan 2012, 9:38 pm

I too join a few whom have a bit of a "clunk" in the g'box. Use Motul 5100, look after it, but it's not the gearbox of some Suzuki's I've ridden (read: Katana, gs1000, gs850). I have a 32YO+ Honda CBX with 40K on the clock and she shifts beautifully, go figure...
Thof
Thof

Back to top Go down

Post  chips Sat 21 Jan 2012, 12:56 am

OLDANNAKED wrote:Well guys I must be one of the lucky one's since changing to motul oil on last service my gearbox is no different to any other 1250 box and clunks into first but every other change up or down is silky smooth even with no clutch , if you want no clunk buy a 1050 speed triple they are like putting a car into first, bugger all clunk my son has one and its weird riding it amazing gearbox.

Also a great bike is you want ridiculous servicing costs

Back to top Go down

Post  quizguy Tue 10 Apr 2012, 2:58 pm

Ok, gonna try the gearbox oil change - can I get some oil suggestions that have worked? also is there any trick to changing the oil, My first time you see..Ive done 2700 ks now

quizguy

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 10 Apr 2012, 3:49 pm

quizguy wrote:Ok, gonna try the gearbox oil change - can I get some oil suggestions that have worked? also is there any trick to changing the oil, My first time you see..Ive done 2700 ks now

I'm running Motul Semi Synth now but any fresh oil that meets the specs will be fine. I have in the past used Shell Advance mineral and semi synth later.

As I have stated elsewhere you need to be firm on the changes. It will clunk into first. Part of Suzuki's "built to a price" strategy.

Build an alfoil tray over the collector to catch the spillage and have rags and degreaser on hand to clean the colector when you're finished is my advice.

~ My YouTube Channel ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

Back to top Go down