Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moto Guzzi Norge test ride

5 posters

Go down

Moto Guzzi Norge test ride Empty Moto Guzzi Norge test ride

Post  Fossil Sun 18 Dec 2011, 6:01 pm

Gus was asking about the Norge:

The first thing I noticed is the seat - the best stock seat I've sat on and no complaints in a 90 minute test ride.
The reach to the bars more upright than the Bandit and plenty of clearance for my knees from the cylinder heads. The pegs are a bit high for my liking but lower pegs are available - I flipped the pegs on the Bandit for comfort so I probably have older, creakier knees than most.

The electrically adjustable screen is smallish for a tourer and gave me fresh air without turbulence very similar to the MRA screen on the Bandit. The fairing is quite effective in terms of shielding engine heat with very little heat getting to the rider. The day was warm and more breeze would have been nice in traffic but just enough when moving to be comfortable.

On paper the power output is similar to the Bandit at 102hp @ 7000 RPM and 104nm @ 5500 RPM but obviously being an 1151 cc air cooled V twin the engine feels entirely different in character to the Bandit. The bike I rode was brand new and the engine was no doubt quite tight and I treated it with due care as if my own. The fuelling seemed spot on with very precise throttle response, no jerkiness at low speeds and as tight as the motor was wanted to leap towards the the red line with no hesitation.

Gear box is a 6 speed and quite slick with no missed shifts or false neutrals and neutral easy to find. A gear position readout on the dash is a surprising ommission given the price of the bike.

The suspension has been beefed up on the new model and felt quite firm and controlled but very comfortable over road imperfections. Not a track day weapon by any means I am sure but for it's intended role as a tourer I think very good. Overall the bike seems to carry it's weight low and feels very stable from walking speed on up, I was doing tight u turns without drama. The bike tips into corners very easily and holds it's line easily, even though no light weight at 257kg dry, it really feels very nimble on the move.

Brakes are Brembo and have very strong initial bite and feel very strong at least the fronts did, I think the back brake lever needed adjusting as it felt too low to use comfortably. Brakes are ABS.

Build quality and attention to detail seemed very good - probably not BMW standard but very good nonetheless. The paint on the wheels for example looks half an inch thick and both gearlever and rear brake pedal have eccentric position adjusters.

Although they are different types of beast I think the Bandit is way out in front in terms of value for money - the Guzzi seems overpriced if you compare it to an FJR or GTR1400 but considerably cheaper ( and at least to me more desirable ) than a similar BMW. I suppose I make BMW comparisons because if you want an air cooled shaft drive bike thats the obvious ( only ?) comparison.

There is no doubt a very strong emotional response in me to the Guzzi and if I bring one home I know it's a keeper.

Fossil

Back to top Go down

Moto Guzzi Norge test ride Empty Re: Moto Guzzi Norge test ride

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 18 Dec 2011, 6:12 pm

Thanks for the report Fossil. I always enjoy a comparison, even if it is hypothetical for me for the foreseeable future. I'd never considered a Guzzi but I was impressed with the looks of the Norge.
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sun 18 Dec 2011, 6:20 pm

IF I could spare the coin I would have a Stelvio NTX in the shed instead of a Vstrom.
Emotion speaks. Value for money comes a close second I reckon.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Fossil Sun 18 Dec 2011, 6:32 pm

dhula I PM'd you but I don't know if it went or not because it seems to be in my outbox but not the sent box although I pressed send.

Fossil

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sun 18 Dec 2011, 6:42 pm

I love norges. The bigger the better Laughing
Back on topic there are a couple of Guzzies I could make room for a V7 is one.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 18 Dec 2011, 7:30 pm

Since they were taken over by Piaggio (also Aprilia ) they seem to have machined up to modern standards .Also having financial backing with
the workers knowing they will be payed can't hurt . I believe Aprilia put together the Rotax BMW twin at their factory so build quality must be good .
Every-body complains about back up parts taking months to arrive still though . I spoke to the new Aprilia ,dealer up here (coastline BMW ) and they
said they carn get any more v4s due to the fact Aprilia can't get it together .The last Guzzi and Aprilia dealer said they they were fed up
with them and gave it away .
You all know i'm an Aprilia fan , Guzzi isnt far behind for me .Those Italians know style .

If ive got any of the above wrong , fell free to correct it .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Fossil Sun 18 Dec 2011, 8:17 pm

Gus I agree with all you said - I personally know an ex Moto Guzzi dealer who dropped the brand because he was totally peed off with the importer/distributor not so much with Piaggio themselves.

Fossil

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Mon 19 Dec 2011, 10:08 pm

Fossil wrote:dhula I PM'd you but I don't know if it went or not because it seems to be in my outbox but not the sent box although I pressed send.
not received at this end.
resend perhaps

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Fossil Tue 20 Dec 2011, 12:05 am

dhula just email me wgd@live.com.au & I'll get back to you.
Fossil.

Fossil

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum