Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another ride..... more bad weather

5 posters

Go down

Another ride..... more bad weather Empty Another ride..... more bad weather

Post  Boozer Fri 18 Nov 2011, 8:23 am

What the hell have I done to piss the weather gods off so bad?

On the last ride to Coffs a few weeks ago I got home very cold & very, very wet, and nearly got blown & washed off my bike between Dorrigo and Ebor- literally!! The following weekend we took the new van away and it poured then too.

This trip I decided on an early start for my impromptu 4 day solo ride...... well, so much for that idea...... at 2.20pm on Monday when I was finally ready to head off (Destination: Steve’s @Tamworth) it was 39deg, so for this ride I started with wet clothes that I purposely wet to stay cool!! It was nice to be heading up Thunderbolts rather than heading down, as has become customary. The temperature change was dramatic tho. Within an hour I went from 37deg, to a cool 24deg and then back up to 35!!! Felt like someone was playing with the a/c remote control!!

After a very good night and the odd shandy or 2, plus a bourbon or 2 as well, I really had no choice but to lay low on Tuesday and sober up & recover before getting back on the bike on Wed. The rain chased me outa Tamworth but it was no match for the mighty Bandit, and by Bendemeer we had outrun it and had dry roads and nice riding weather- AT LONG LAST!!! Heading towards Grafton and my fav- Armidale Road, I had a leisurely and somewhat spiritless (read: slow!) ride to Grafton without really getting into the groove which troubled me. So, on the return run I stopped and uncharacteristically (at least while riding or driving) I stopped and had a couple of beers at The Coaching Station. Now feeling relaxed and even less motivated I decided to have a rest and a swim in the river to cool off. Back on the bike at 3.30pm and finally my mojo had returned & I enjoyed an energised & spirited ride back to Armidale...... and I was dry and comfortable!!! 

Hmmm, Today I woke to grey skies and disappointing weather forecasts.

AGAIN......... FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a regular victim of Murphy’s Law, I decided to don the wet weather gear from the get-go and see if reverse psychology might scare the clouds away. Alas, it didn’t work, and by Walcha I was again revelling in the challenge of brisk riding on wet roads as I headed home via the familiar downhill run on Thunderbolts Way. The weather situation deteriorated at the top of the mountain with temps as low as 15deg, and a couple of sudden and heavy blankets of fog! Regardless, I enjoyed the dynamic challenge of trying to find the balance between speed and traction that wet roads pose.

Home around 1pm with the rain getting progressively heavier the closer to home I got. After only 1200 odd k’s over three days of riding it wasn’t my most gruelling or rewarding ride ever, but still good all the same.

Now: what to do with the Bandit? I feel it’s time to move on and update, BUT, after nearly 50,000kms the thing still blows my mind, the power still rattles my eyeballs and I can’t fault it..... or decide on a suitable replacement..... ???

Cheers
Neil

Another ride..... more bad weather 100_1411

Another ride..... more bad weather 100_1412

Boozer
Boozer

Back to top Go down

Another ride..... more bad weather Empty Re: Another ride..... more bad weather

Post  Hammy Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:00 am

Great ride report Neil . Thanks for sharing. As you have said. What would you replace the Bandit with ? Until a worthy replacement comes along, keep enjoying. And I hope that your next trip is a dry one. Cheers.
Hammy
Hammy

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:35 am

Good ride report.
Black bikes will go anywhere in any conditions. Smile

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Fri 18 Nov 2011, 11:25 am

Boozer wrote:
On the last ride to Coffs a few weeks ago I got home very cold & very, very wet, and nearly got blown & washed off my bike between Dorrigo and Ebor- literally!! The following weekend we took the new van away and it poured then too.

That's where we went wrong, going with you lol!

Thanks for taking the rain away from us on the last day (oh and thanks for your warning to go a different way).

The weather certainly looks bad in the photos. sunny

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Boozer Sun 20 Nov 2011, 5:54 pm

thanks guys

that pic was taken on Monday arvo.....

blue skies-yes Very Happy ,
friggin hot- yes!!! Sad
Boozer
Boozer

Back to top Go down

Post  Grover Tue 22 Nov 2011, 8:24 pm

Good RR boozer, thanks for posting it up. One day I will remember my camera AND charge its battery for a ride. Ewok takes the pics of my bike for me when we ride together.

"I do not fear death. I was dead for billions and billions of years before my birth and I have not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." Mark Twain
Grover
Grover

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum