Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grating Gears

+3
Cameron
Dmaxhall
Itchy
7 posters

Go down

Grating Gears Empty Grating Gears

Post  Itchy Wed 28 Oct 2009, 11:30 am

Hi all,

Just found this site, I live in Brisvegas and have been the proud owner of a 2009 1250S ABS since February. My previous bike was an SV650S.

I have a question about grating gears. Maybe 50% of the time I get a grating sound/feel when I change from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st. All other gears are fine and it only appears to be a problem whenever I go through neutral.

I never has a problem with my gear changes on the SV650S and like I said it only happens when going through neutral about 50% of the time.

If I pause slightly in neutral I don't get any grinding ever.

I found a link on the SVDOWNUNDER forum which blamed it on shell oil and recommended switching to motul 5100.

http://www.svdownunder.com/index.php?topic=22095.msg207924#msg207924

Does this happen to anyone else and if so how did you fix it?

Thanks,

Itchy

Itchy

Back to top Go down

Grating Gears Empty Re: Grating Gears

Post  Dmaxhall Wed 28 Oct 2009, 9:59 pm

Used Motul5100 for over 10,000km and never had that problem. My box, however was a little notchy shifting from 5th into 6th, and was heavy shifting from 1st to 2nd.

18,oookm service and the mechanic filled it with Mobil1. notchyness is gone (so far).

I now hold the lever up (or down depending on the shift) until I have released the clutch and that did help some. Was told this trick by StayUpright on the advanced course.
Dmaxhall
Dmaxhall

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Thu 29 Oct 2009, 6:47 pm

Never really had the problem...however it is a bit of a klunk from 1st to 2nd on both mine and my bros bandits
Cameron
Cameron
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Thu 29 Oct 2009, 8:31 pm

mine is clunky in the lower gears but fine in 4 5 6 - sometimes a really loud thunk into second - maybe i should use the clutch... Idea
potatomasher
potatomasher

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Thu 29 Oct 2009, 8:43 pm

I always use the clutch into 3rd...then not always up to top gear under hard acceleraton.
Though i always clutch when just general riding around
Cameron
Cameron
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Thu 29 Oct 2009, 8:47 pm

i was kidding - i always use the clutch. the only time i have ridden around without using the clutch was many years ago and i had a CB750 honda - and some bugger pinched the clutch lever and i had to ride around until i got another one - taking off was interesting
potatomasher
potatomasher

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 31 Oct 2009, 4:47 pm

These boxes need 10,000 on them before they come good. They are pretty good straight after an oil change but like all Suzuki boxes you need to be deliberate with the shift.
They shift easier higher in the RPM too which can be a pain while still running in.

The clunky issue with old oil is I reckon caused by the bandit oil running to cool (water jacket around the filter). In any case just show it who's boss. Suzuki are known for good gearboxes.
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Mon 02 Nov 2009, 12:45 am

2wheelsagain wrote:The clunky issue with old oil is I reckon caused by the bandit oil running to cool (water jacket around the filter).

i disagree with this thought as my wifes GSX650F is sweeter than my bandit. same year bikes (engine size different) but her bike is not clunky at all
i don't think the cooled oil has anything to do with the chunkiness of the box. i think it's jsut a mannerism of this box
i don't know the physical difference between the 650 and 1250 box internals but i'm thinking the 1250 is bigger which may be the main cause of the clunkiness.

i've just added a 1250 oil cooler to the wifes 650 so it'll be interesting when thinking of your idea 2WA to see how the change is when the oil change comes due.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Mon 02 Nov 2009, 9:47 pm

My 02B12 has always clunked from 2nd (or neutral) to 1st. It did it the first time I rode it, and nearly 50,000km later, it still does it. Every other gear change is sweet, with or without the clutch.
b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum