Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Idling at 2000 rpm ??????

+6
Re-Cycled
rolls
dhula
gus
Dekenai
potatomasher
10 posters

Go down

Idling at 2000 rpm ?????? Empty Idling at 2000 rpm ??????

Post  potatomasher Sun 16 Jan 2011, 6:58 pm

today i was riding the bike and stopped for about 10 mins. when i started it again, the idle sat quite firmly at 2000 - my impression was that upon revving it a bit the engine wasnt slowing down again as quickly as it did prior to this change of idle speed. anyway continued riding and the idle then stayed at 2000 for the next 20 mins until i stopped for about an hour. started again - idle at 1500 and floating up and down. this continued for another 40 mins and then i stopped again - when started idle at 1100 and this went up to about 1250 which is where it is at the moment?? any ideas? Shocked i have had the impression the idle has been a bit high [say 1250-1300] for about a month from time to time

https://www.youtube.com/user/potatomasher100?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Idling at 2000 rpm ?????? Empty Re: Idling at 2000 rpm ??????

Post  Dekenai Sun 16 Jan 2011, 7:36 pm

Hi Steve,
According to the workshop manual the specified idle speed is 1200 + 100 rpm, so basically its OK. My guess would be a dodgy sensor, do you have or can you access a Healtech OBD? That will allow you to see any error codes. Else, look up a procedure for putting the ECU into dealer mode and see if you can see something then.
Cheers Peter
Dekenai
Dekenai

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 16 Jan 2011, 7:37 pm

I'm no help apart from wishing the 1250 had an idle adjustment knob.Always thought mine idled a bit fast.Definitely faster
than any bike i;ve had before .
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Sun 16 Jan 2011, 8:17 pm

haven't got any computer equip - but definitely a bit high - esp at 2000 rpm. i want to get it fixed before the warranty runs out [in 2000 kms]

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sun 16 Jan 2011, 8:24 pm

Can be a common problem with any machine that has a ISC valve.
The ISC valve is a gismo that controls the idle speed of the engine. It stands for Idle Speed Control or Idle Stepper Control depending on who you talk to but that's what it does.

The ECU learns constantly what the idle speed should be and adjusts things (usually air flow and fuel amount) to allow the idle speed to fit within a specified range that is not adjustable by us as it's set in the ECU.

Some things that can cause it to do what you explained on the bandit:
*TPS needs adjustment - not a biggy but can have an effect
*TB's need syncing/balancing - can ahve a huge effect if it's out badly, but you'd notice it if it was really really bad
*Different fuel (did you know they change the makeup of petrol between summer and winter) - IMO this can have the biggest effect of the simple things. Have you filled up with different RON fuel or at a differerent servo recently
*ISC valve gunked up - not that common
*IAP sensor playing up - you'd get a Fi light

If you haven't got a Fi light showing then take it that the sensors are all doing OK and working within their allowable ranges.

One thing to check is the slack adjustment on the throttle cable (the adjustment is at the throttle tube) to be sure that is not having some kind of influence on the whole thing.

My suggestion is to either buy yourself a healtech OBD tool (it pretty much mimicks SDS and is a good tool) or go into a suzuki dealer and ask them to:
*check for DTC just to be sure
*clear all DTC after checking everything is OK
*do a ISC learned value reset

The ECU can work things out and bring it all back under control to a degree but IMO a learned value reset is the best way.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Mon 17 Jan 2011, 6:01 am

thanks Dhula - it isn't the thottle cable [that's about the limit of my mechanical knowledge!!] and there's no FI light so might take your advice and ring a dealer and get them to do a reset - thanx for your help!! [wot a whizz!] although i did fill up with shell 95 a few days ago - usually just use unleaded

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Mon 17 Jan 2011, 7:39 am

On my model, when the computer (located above the seat) senses high or low idle, there is a warning message to adjust the BBKUC (Big Black Knob Underneath the Carburetors).

This may or may not help with your model.

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Mon 17 Jan 2011, 8:40 am

rolls wrote:On my model, when the computer (located above the seat) senses high or low idle, there is a warning message to adjust the BBKUC (Big Black Knob Underneath the Carburettors).

This may or may not help with your model.

lol! They're not all the same, mine uses a Big Brass Knob. Laughing

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey1 Mon 17 Jan 2011, 9:35 am

I could say something about the big hairy knob on the seat, but I wont.
Oops I just did Twisted Evil

lol!
whitey1
whitey1

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Mon 17 Jan 2011, 10:09 am

Mines got a special one of a kind nut just behind the fuel tank that works pretty well.

There is also a similar modification to my wifes bike but it is a bit prettier than mine

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Mon 17 Jan 2011, 4:32 pm

whitey1 wrote:I could say something about the big hairy knob on the seat, but I wont.
Oops I just did Twisted Evil

lol!
lol! lol!
dhula wrote:Mines got a special one of a kind nut just behind the fuel tank that works pretty well.

There is also a similar modification to my wifes bike but it is a bit prettier than mine
Just one nut lol! lol!
& no details & photo's posted of the modifications this time duhla Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing lol!
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  potatomasher Fri 18 Feb 2011, 5:51 pm

update - this first happened when i filled up with shell 95. when the tank was nearly empty i refilled with caltex regular - no problems. when nearly empty again filled with regular at a 7 11 - idle went somewhat crazy again with wandering around up to about 1800 rpm. filled up a few times since with caltex regular - no probs again. so there you go

Back to top Go down

Post  ClaytonFirth Fri 18 Feb 2011, 9:45 pm

potatomasher wrote:update - this first happened when i filled up with shell 95. when the tank was nearly empty i refilled with caltex regular - no problems. when nearly empty again filled with regular at a 7 11 - idle went somewhat crazy again with wandering around up to about 1800 rpm. filled up a few times since with caltex regular - no probs again. so there you go

711's use Shell. I've read many complaints about Shell behaving badly. Looks like it could be the common thread with your issue too.
ClaytonFirth
ClaytonFirth

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Fri 18 Feb 2011, 10:04 pm

ClaytonFirth wrote:
potatomasher wrote:update - this first happened when i filled up with shell 95. when the tank was nearly empty i refilled with caltex regular - no problems. when nearly empty again filled with regular at a 7 11 - idle went somewhat crazy again with wandering around up to about 1800 rpm. filled up a few times since with caltex regular - no probs again. so there you go

711's use Shell. I've read many complaints about Shell behaving badly. Looks like it could be the common thread with your issue too.

I've never had an issue with Shell. I fill there about every second tank. Sometimes 91 sometimes 98 if I'm doing a trip. The car gets a tank of Shell every week.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Fri 18 Feb 2011, 10:26 pm

ClaytonFirth wrote:

Fuel companies are greedy dogs and will do anything to make money.

Welcome to the forum to Clayton. the 200th member cheers

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum