Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Muffler packing in a pinch

+4
dhula
gus
2wheelsagain
Ironman
8 posters

Go down

Muffler packing in a pinch Empty Muffler packing in a pinch

Post  Ironman Sat 08 Jan 2011, 5:19 pm

Does anyone know of have experience with using regular fiberglass like this...
http://www.recochem.com.au/index.php/products/consumer_products/fibreglass/item/diggers_fibreglass_cloth_strips
for packing a muffler type application?

I'd go to a bike shop to get the proper stuff but none are open now and I need it for Sunday - modification session at a mates place.

This is an idea I've had to try and quieten down my Delkevic slip on for my early morning departures.
The dB killer is basically a hollow tube sealed at one end (inside the muffler) open at the outlet. Looks like it flows gasses but doesn't.
Now idea is to perforate this tube, pack it with fiberglass and seal the other end.

I'm open to suggestions. Steelo stainless steel scouring pads are on standby. Read that others have used this stuff but doesn't absorb the noise as well.

Best thing is you can undo one allen bolt and it all comes out and you are back to sports sound.

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Muffler packing in a pinch Empty Re: Muffler packing in a pinch

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 08 Jan 2011, 5:35 pm

I used to use steel wool on the old XR 350 seemed effective 30 yrs ago lol

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 08 Jan 2011, 6:46 pm

That E type glass is what we used on surfboards.We used the cloth (interwoven strands at 90 degrees) The other type is Chop Strand which is
small strands all over the place. I'm pretty sure the stuff they put in mufflers looks a bit like chop strand but has a lot longer length
of fibres,a bit like pink bats.Its been a long time since i repacked a muffler so things might have changed.Im inclined to think that the
chop strand (cloth no good )might get "blown " in tiny,tiny particles out of the muffler.Ive breathed in enough and wouldn't recommend it .
Handling it your hands will get itchy for days ,and itchy is a nice way of putting it .Turned you off the idea yet ?

The stuff packs up quite tight ,so if you still decide to "give it a go " you will need a lot more than you think.

O.K., sorry had another read of that add. Its cloth that they are selling. Comes in different thickness's ,no idea whats in that pack.
Maybe in a emergency situation .Personally dont like the idea ,but that might be just me.

Last edited by gus on Sat 08 Jan 2011, 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Sat 08 Jan 2011, 7:26 pm

if it's all about making your bike quiet again for the sake of the people in your street, then my suggestion is to put the stocker back on the bike and keep the nice sounding pipe for weekend jaunts only.

Takes all of about 15 mins to do the swap and is much easier than repacking all the time to keep the sound down.

Not sure about the delkevic but the beowulf uses the OEM "gasket" between the link pipe and muffler. If you need one, they are about $30 from suzuki.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sat 08 Jan 2011, 7:46 pm

You say'
The db killer is basically a hollow tube with a hole one end and sealed the other.I cant see it .How does the gas get through ?
Mine are just a smaller tube to "restrict gas flow " nothing sealed.

Read somewhere people cutting db killer down in length to make it louder.Would the opposite work ?

Last edited by gus on Sat 08 Jan 2011, 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Sat 08 Jan 2011, 8:00 pm

dhula wrote:if it's all about making your bike quiet again for the sake of the people in your street, then my suggestion is to put the stocker back on the bike and keep the nice sounding pipe for weekend jaunts only.

Takes all of about 15 mins to do the swap and is much easier than repacking all the time to keep the sound down.
+1 it does seem a lot of effort to appease someone who couldn't put their name to a letter unless you agree it is "a bit" loud. In that case I'd play with the db killer and open/close some holes.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Muffler packing in a pinch Empty Muffler packing at a pinch

Post  rjs Sat 08 Jan 2011, 9:01 pm

I fitted the delkevic to my 1250 after reading your post some time back and run without the baffle. Have never had a cop let alone nieghbour give me a second glance. Buy your complainant some cheap ear plug and tell them to get a life.
rjs
rjs

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sat 08 Jan 2011, 11:20 pm

dhula wrote: my suggestion is to put the stocker back on the bike and keep the nice sounding pipe for weekend jaunts only.

+1, less work
gus wrote:
Read somewhere people cutting db killer down in length to make it louder.Would the opposite work ?
with gus. The shorter the killer or more holes in it the loud it is, so in theory the longer with on holes the quinter No

Last edited by Reardo on Sat 08 Jan 2011, 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : :idea:)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Sun 09 Jan 2011, 8:45 am

Yeah, I'm getting tired thinking of ways to quieten it down. Woke up thismorning and thought, "I'm SO over this crap."

Gus, to answer your Q, gas doesn't flow through the dB killer - it goes around it. Imagine it like this - trying to talk with a sausage roll shoved in your mouth, same principal.

Very Happy

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  Reardo Sun 09 Jan 2011, 8:59 am

Full Throttle wrote:Yeah, I'm getting tired thinking of ways to quieten it down. Woke up thismorning and thought, "I'm SO over this crap."

Gus, to answer your Q, gas doesn't flow through the dB killer - it goes around it. Imagine it like this - trying to talk with a sausage roll shoved in your mouth, same principal.

Very Happy

I'll go get 2 sausage roll, I don't think one will work lol!

*HealTech Gear Indicator w/tre "Advanced Timing Retard Eliminator is needed".
*Balanced TB's. My TPS was fine, but you should check yours.
*Arrow race headers with Yoshimura TRS.
*PC3 with the supplied map and these mod got 123hp with 115nm of torque.
*Neville Lush Racing custom tune = 130hp with 125nm at the Tyre (Standard 98hp/108nm).
My youtube channel (clickhere)
Reardo
Reardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/reardo38?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Sun 09 Jan 2011, 9:04 am

I'm with Dhula ,put the stocker back on and forget about it .I quite often put it back on for a long trip,find ear plugs make my ears sore
after a day or two with the loud pipe anyway.If you feel like changing it over you can.Maybe he will find someone else to annoy .

Nice explanation of the db killer ,excuse me off to the shop ,abit peckish. Very Happy
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Sun 09 Jan 2011, 11:25 am

Laughing
Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  rolls Mon 10 Jan 2011, 9:10 am

rjs wrote:I fitted the delkevic to my 1250 after reading your post some time back and run without the baffle. Have never had a cop let alone nieghbour give me a second glance. Buy your complainant some cheap ear plug and tell them to get a life.

+1
rolls
rolls

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Mon 10 Jan 2011, 11:30 pm

db killer for the Arrow, Not sure how much quieter it is as I have never had them in Laughing

Muffler packing in a pinch Ebb44809
Rick
Rick

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 11 Jan 2011, 10:21 am

This could be embarrassing.Mine ,not happy. Very Happy
Muffler packing in a pinch Db013
Now i'm just showing off.Very happy. Very Happy
Muffler packing in a pinch Db013-1
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Tue 11 Jan 2011, 10:31 pm

Actually they're all disturbing. Mad (end page one)
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down