Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dropping/Laying your bike on its side

+10
Big Al
Thof
Four40
surfacc
2wheelsagain
dhula
Saikhan
whitey1
gus
aussiejay
14 posters

Go down

Dropping/Laying your bike on its side Empty Dropping/Laying your bike on its side

Post  aussiejay Mon 20 Dec 2010, 10:47 pm

Have been thinking about this, and thought it would be good to generate the debate. I'll start off first by saying that yes I don't know poo from clay in regards to riding compared to the vast vast majority of you and am just throwing this out there. Many people have told me i'm stupid for buying a brand new bike as my first foray into the two wheel life. The main reason being that at some stage I will drop it, or have to lay it on its side and damage it. My point of discussion is this, why do we as law abiding, tax paying, safety conscious road users expect or accept it as reasonable to have to drop or lay a bike down at some stage? Shouldn't we be thinking the opposite that our roads are safe for our vehicles, and other road users are trained sufficiently to treat us with the respect and concern for our safety as we are for theirs, and as such no road or other user has the right or cause for us to have to take such extreme measures causing us injury and damaging our property.
aussiejay
aussiejay

Back to top Go down

Dropping/Laying your bike on its side Empty Re: Dropping/Laying your bike on its side

Post  gus Mon 20 Dec 2010, 11:19 pm

Its simple two wheeled things fall over.You dont even have to be there,sometimes the just have a little lay down.

As for the term "I deliberately had to lay it down" that's a term used by non motorcyclists who think its going to get them out of trouble.It wont.

Don't touch ANY alcohol or dope when you ride and your odds are a lot better.
Don't get sucked into racing your mates,someone will eventually crash make sure its not you.

I carnt see any reason not to buy a new bike if you could afford it,enjoy it, its probably one of your best friends.

But like all best friends it will have a little lay down every now and then. Smile

Mine tries to lay down during U-turns.Just carnt get confident with that .

Last edited by gus on Tue 21 Dec 2010, 7:04 am; edited 2 times in total
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Dropping/Laying your bike on its side Empty Re: Dropping/Laying your bike on its side

Post  whitey1 Mon 20 Dec 2010, 11:23 pm

I've been riding bikes(mainly trailies) for about 25 years(bugger that makes me sound old!) and have only laid a bike down on the tar twice. Once was years ago on an old XL600 trailbike going around a roundabout just after a bit of drizzle. Knobbies dont like damp tar! It hurt and scratched a bit of plastic but that was all. The second time was earlier this year when my wife was getting off the back of the Bandit outside a pub and we over balanced and I couldn't stop the thing from touching down Mad Again just a small scratch but again on a bike without fairing. Would probably be a different story otherwise.
Now what was the point I was trying to make?.........
I dunno.... maybe you dont need to be going very fast to drop the bike? More likely to drop it at low speeds?
Maybe I just ramble on without getting to the point?
Sorry Neutral
whitey1
whitey1

Back to top Go down

Post  Saikhan Tue 21 Dec 2010, 12:39 am

Jay,, Tell those "many people" to shove thier opinion where the sun don't shine. And then go for an enjoyable ride on your beautiful NEW motorcycle, leaving them to their small opinionated lives. &^%&*EM I say.
Saikhan
Saikhan

Back to top Go down

Post  dhula Tue 21 Dec 2010, 1:55 am

IMO ride what you feel you must. Old, New, doesn't matter as long as you are happy and smiling.
ride to your skill level and comfort zone not anyone else's and try not to be suckered into riding out of your comfort zone. If you feel 'out of control', pull over and stop, regain your composure/thoughts and carry on.

As for laying a bike down when your learning. During this stint on bikes I haven't layed mine down yet, i've come close but not seen sleepy bobo time yet. Well except for one or 2 occasions where I have deliberately layed the bike over in the back yard to practice picking the beast back up.
Having said that I am expecting it to happen one day but I will do my best to avoid it if I can

The mrs on the other hand has fallen off, tipped over, what ever, every one of our bikes so far. Thankfully without significant damage to the bikes and more importantly without damage to her except for her pride.

IMO there are 2 situations when bikes are at their most unstable. The first is when stopped and the stand isn't down, the other is when we are on them trying to enforce our will on the machine (ever seen what happens when a bike is traveling down the road riderless)

Shit happens, bikes fall over. Pick em back up, dust em off and ride on.

dhula

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Tue 21 Dec 2010, 7:46 am

Ride whatever bike you can afford that gives you wood! Have insurance and good protective gear. Ride as if you're invisible & ride to your ability. Tick all these and your chances of not crying improve markedly.

I can assure you the gutted feeling is the same when seeing a 10 yr old bike in bits as it is for a new/newish bike.

My ex put mine down in our garage! Bikes get backed into. Our skill and concentration varies from day to day as does road condition and weather.

Generally by western standards our roads are crap! They're designed for cars not bikes. Our driving standards are not good. Centerlines are for decorations. the list goes on. Sorry for the rant. I hope you don't join "the club" but it's not always up to you.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Back to top Go down

Post  surfacc Tue 21 Dec 2010, 9:20 am

The only place my bikes have had a little rest has been on my own property, usually in the driveway, and always because of my own stupidity.
Gave the Ducati a rest by tryin to walk it on to a trailer when I didn't have any shoes on and slipped on some wet concrete. (tried to thow myself under it while it was falling to reduce the damage bill)
Have given the new Bandit a quiet rest when I decide to move it so that a stray blade of grass wouldn't hit it while cutting the grass. In my haste forget to put the side stand down and then fought it all way to a gentle lie down.
I love buying new bikes and if you can afford it get one if not get a used one - it doesn't matter either way just get what you want/need/like.
surfacc
surfacc

Back to top Go down

Post  Four40 Tue 21 Dec 2010, 9:46 am

If you do happen to lay down you bike, one of two things will happen.
1) You drop it, damage is surprisinly minimal and at most, you replace a clutch lever (Dropped my GSX650FU 6 days after purchase, didn't check to see if the stand was in full lock, oops)
2) You drop it and you crack the fairing, fluids leak into places they should be and you wait months for repair (friend of mine, bike on centrestand, laid down in back yard after a bit of rain)

Yes, people will say buy a clunker while learning. Probably because they couldn't afford to buy a new bike or have more sense than I do Laughing

You can get crash knobs for the 650 and they don't stick out that badly. I think I paid $150 from ebay for mine.

Now the 1250FA will take a slide down the road, not crack any fairing and start first time. Not that I wanted to find that bit of information out first hand Sad
Four40
Four40

Back to top Go down

Post  aussiejay Tue 21 Dec 2010, 9:25 pm

2wheelsagain wrote:Ride whatever bike you can afford that gives you wood! Have insurance and good protective gear. Ride as if you're invisible & ride to your ability. Tick all these and your chances of not crying improve markedly.

Generally by western standards our roads are crap! They're designed for cars not bikes. Our driving standards are not good. Centerlines are for decorations. the list goes on. Sorry for the rant. I hope you don't join "the club" but it's not always up to you.

Not a rant 2wa, think you've covered several of the points about what causes the events. Apart from everyone's driveway blues tongue Most of these other events are what would be called abnormal behaviours, so why have we normalised them by accepting them?
aussiejay
aussiejay

Back to top Go down

Post  Thof Tue 21 Dec 2010, 10:01 pm

Some very good comment here Aussiejay. IMHO, I normalise “them” for a few basic reasons, your mount, the law of physics, attitude and the situation your found in. There’s a reason some of us choose 2 wheels, (then a cage as a matter of necessity), we (I) enjoy the balance, freedom, isolation and challenge that a two wheel mechanical device can and will put you in. Remembering of course we travel on a public road! Don’t let common sense (too often) be overtaken by the “what if”. You never know when a roo (or sheep…) or the like will test your ability to think without warning, relying on your reactions / actions. Stay upright!
Thof
Thof

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Thu 23 Dec 2010, 7:04 am

Some times you don't know when to give up and step off and your determined you can save it!
Ive had a couple of those but those drive way ones, the rush of emotion fright, fear, anger, followed by the quick embarrassed look to see if any one saw you do it! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Thu 23 Dec 2010, 7:56 am

My u-turns are never performed outside the pub. Embarassed
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey1 Thu 23 Dec 2010, 9:41 am

gus wrote:My u-turns are never performed outside the pub. Embarassed
lol! lol! lol! I know what you mean!
whitey1
whitey1

Back to top Go down

Post  1952 Wed 29 Dec 2010, 3:05 pm

For a time I felt like an expert at laying my bike down - did it seven times, although I needed the co-operation of other road users and/or the weather to achieve the laid-down-and-scratched/beat-up results. Most memorable occassion (with two other more dramatic drops I decided to be unconscious at the most exciting moments), required me to stupidly get myself into the middle of a tram-line on a wet afternoon in Melbourne, and then to follow a large Semi with a load too high for the railway bridge we both needed to go under. He hit the bridge; I hit the brakes; the bike hit the ground. It was a new Suzuki 185.
Bike ended up with a few scratches and a bent clutch lever.
I ended up with a bruise in the middle of my forehead from hitting myself for being such a dolt!
My Bandit was purchased last April; has done over 3000 kms. and been to Melbourne and back - and I still haven't ridden in the rain. Maybe I was too pessimistic when I installed the Oggy Knobs?! Maybe I WILL NEVER FALL OFF OR DROP MY BANDIT.
I am now officially cursed Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Re-Cycled Wed 29 Dec 2010, 3:15 pm

1952 wrote: Maybe I WILL NEVER FALL OFF OR DROP MY BANDIT.

Looks like "Famous Last Words" Laughing

2007 DL1000 V Strom
Re-Cycled
Re-Cycled

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironman Wed 29 Dec 2010, 4:51 pm

When stopping on any sort of road / driveway with a decent camber on it, make sure you know which side is the lower one. I didn't do that and put my foot down to balance at the stop - &^%$@!$$ nothing there!!!! affraid .
Just managed to keep her from having a sleep. I reckon I turned green (the Hulk) and tore my jacket (muscles expanding 10000000%) with the strength needed to keep her up. Reckon I nearly blew out the back door bugle valve. Embarassed
You'll only do it once. Very Happy
Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post  aussiejay Wed 29 Dec 2010, 7:56 pm

Full Throttle wrote: I reckon I turned green (the Hulk) and tore my jacket (muscles expanding 10000000%) with the strength needed to keep her up. Reckon I nearly blew out the back door bugle valve. Embarassed

Roflmfao Laughing
aussiejay
aussiejay

Back to top Go down

Post  Saikhan Wed 29 Dec 2010, 8:13 pm

aussiejay wrote:
Full Throttle wrote: I reckon I turned green (the Hulk) and tore my jacket (muscles expanding 10000000%) with the strength needed to keep her up. Reckon I nearly blew out the back door bugle valve. Embarassed

Roflmfao Laughing

rofl Laughing Laughing
Saikhan
Saikhan

Back to top Go down

Post  b12mick Thu 30 Dec 2010, 10:09 am

aussiejay wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:Ride whatever bike you can afford that gives you wood! Have insurance and good protective gear. Ride as if you're invisible & ride to your ability. Tick all these and your chances of not crying improve markedly.

Not a rant 2wa, think you've covered several of the points about what causes the events. Apart from everyone's driveway blues tongue Most of these other events are what would be called abnormal behaviours, so why have we normalised them by accepting them?

Only those that seem to continually fall off, or have no idea why they fell off, accept those behaviours as normal. A good rider will analyse why they fell off, accept that they were in some part (if not totally) at fault and change how they ride to avoid doing the same thing again. Good riders also learn from other peoples mistakes, therefore not having to learn the lesson the hard way.

I've only been riding for 14 (nearly 15) years and in that time I've had 3 offs. All were my 100% my fault, because I wasn't concentrating on what was happening around me or I was riding far beyond my ability (don't try and keep up with someone who is obviously better/quicker than you, it can hurt and be very expensive). Yep, diesel, gravel and wet roads were a contributing factor, but had I actually been concentrating, properly focused on the job at hand and not riding above my ability, I wouldn't have fallen off.

b12mick
b12mick

Back to top Go down

Post  gus Thu 30 Dec 2010, 10:48 am

I know i post some strange stories of things that have happened ,but what the hell.

I was travelling along the coast road near Emu Park on my GS1000.There was a 4wd parked on the side of the road with 2 guys fiddling around
with some fishing rods.You know when you get one of those intuition moments for no reason,something just seamed odd.
The next second I've got a fishing line travelling across my THROAT.The 4wd has snagged the line in a bush and then done a U-TURN.
Having gloves on i carnt feel the line in my hand as i'm desperately trying to flip it over my head.We all know what on the end of fishing line
dont we, like 3 barbed hooks.Don't know if i got it over my head or the line had broken ,do know, i could see my throat being torn open
Went back and gave them a serve.They just gave me a dumb look and drove off.
gus
gus

Back to top Go down

Post  Saikhan Thu 30 Dec 2010, 2:12 pm

b12mick wrote:
aussiejay wrote:

Only those that seem to continually fall off, or have no idea why they fell off, accept those behaviours as normal. A good rider will analyse why they fell off, accept that they were in some part (if not totally) at fault and change how they ride to avoid doing the same thing again. Good riders also learn from other peoples mistakes, therefore not having to learn the lesson the hard way.

I've only been riding for 14 (nearly 15) years and in that time I've had 3 offs. All were my 100% my fault, because I wasn't concentrating on what was happening around me or I was riding far beyond my ability (don't try and keep up with someone who is obviously better/quicker than you, it can hurt and be very expensive). Yep, diesel, gravel and wet roads were a contributing factor, but had I actually been concentrating, properly focused on the job at hand and not riding above my ability, I wouldn't have fallen off.

+ 1 Agree totally.
Saikhan
Saikhan

Back to top Go down

Post  whitey1 Fri 31 Dec 2010, 11:08 am

1952 wrote: Maybe I was too pessimistic when I installed the Oggy Knobs?! Maybe I WILL NEVER FALL OFF OR DROP MY BANDIT.
I am now officially cursed Twisted Evil
As I've always said, if you're prepared for it, it'll never happen!
whitey1
whitey1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum