Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Givi top box base rubbers

2 posters

Go down

Givi top box base rubbers Empty Givi top box base rubbers

Post  Chook Thu 16 Mar 2023, 6:10 pm

A couple of months ago when I took my top box off of the rack (which I hardly do,usually just for cleaning) one of the rear rubbers that the box rests on came out with the box.

I tried pushing it back in, it wouldn't stay in place, I tried stretching the underside end so it would pop back in the hole, no luck. I gave the other three a bit of a tug, the two front rubbers remqained secure, the other rear one fell out too.

To get behind the base propery I needed to remove it (4 m6 allen head x bolts), the bolt heads are behind a push in cap which I ended up destroying before I got the 1st one out.

I bit the bullet, got online and ordered 4 new rubbers and plugs.

Today I finally got around to tackling the seemingly straight forward job.

Fistly I destroyed the 4 caps, undid the 4 bolts to find Peter Stealers had left the washer (m5 ID, m12 OD) from one out when they installed it at new in 2012.

I grabbed a new rubber, pocked it's tail through the hole and pulled down with pliers, let go and it would pull straight out.

After about 20 minutes of cursing and swearing in poor light I got a torch, the hole in the plastic base had worn larger and the tails of the rubbers would pull straight back through.

Solution:

The washers from under the bolt head were a snug fit over the rubber tail, off to my local Bunnings with a sample bolt and washer without much confidence in finding one with a 12 mm OD.

As I suspected, the M6 washers had a much larger OD which wouldn't allow them to fit in the recess for the bolt, before leaving I tried a M5 washer, well bugger me, it went over the M6 bolt, now that's Bunnings quality for you. I even double checked the bolt on the thread checker, definately a M6.

So armed with a replacement washer for bolt # 4 and another 9 in the packet, back home and sure enough, put a washer under the base, pull the tail through that and it clicks nicely into place, happy days and for only a couple of bucks!!

Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

paul and GSX1100G like this post

Back to top Go down

Givi top box base rubbers Empty Re: Givi top box base rubbers

Post  GSX1100G Mon 27 Mar 2023, 12:57 pm

Well there you go. 2 of mine are worn/flattened and I'm been packing with foam. Where did you get the new ones from Chook?

Back to top Go down