Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GSX 1250 FA pros and cons from a new-to-me owner

+2
2wheelsagain
GSX1100G
6 posters

Go down

GSX 1250 FA pros and cons from a new-to-me owner Empty GSX 1250 FA pros and cons from a new-to-me owner

Post  ouch8 Sun 30 Jan 2022, 10:24 am

I recently ended up with a GSX1250FA after shopping around for a bike to fit my needs, which were two-up touring ability (including availability of luggage), build quality and reliability, affordability, and some some sporting prowess. Thought it might be interesting to relate my short-list and how I saw each option stacking up. The bikes I was considering apart from the FA were:

Triumph Sprint ST/GT
Honda CBR1100RR Blackbird
BMWF800S/ST
VFR800

So where does the FA stack up in my entirely subjective estimation?

For two-up ability I have the FA behind the Sprint, BMW and VFR but ahead of the Blackbird. One big adavantage those first three bikes have are under-seat or upswept mufflers that allow a lot more pillion leg-room, and like the FA they all have readily available luggage. The rider and pillion position on the Blackbird is not dissimilar to the FA (VFR clip-ons are a common CBR mod to ease the rider's crouch) but luggage is a bit of a pain to source, and adds considearbly to the price.

For build quality and reliability the CBR is top of the bunch. If there is any engine out there that might match the Blackbird's legendary reputation for longevity, it's probably the 1250 donk. However, fundamentally sound as it is, there is no denying the Suzuki is built to a price, and can't match the Blackbird's finish and premium feel. Ditto to a lesser extent for the Sprint, VFR and BMW, but the FA hauls the Beemer back to level pegging because early F800s had some piston slap issues.

For affordabiliity the FA wins hands down. Lowest price on the second hand market, cheapest servicing, easiest to work on. That said, in the long run the Blackbird is probably a dark horse here because it is the only bike of the lot likely to appreciate in value. In ten years time, my FA will probably be going strong but worth chump-change, whereas the CBR will be a collectors item. Prices are already heading north.

Finally, sports riding. Here I'm thinking of handling and braking rather than outright speed. BMW all the way, because its all about the weight, stupid. The Beemer is a whopping 40kg lighter than lighter than any other bike here, and while it is  down on power, it has a torque curve as flat as the Nullabor. Wave it goodbye on a winding road. In the real world with real riders I'm sure the FA would stick with the the other three bikes - maybe with a bit more wriggling from the lower-spec frame and suspension - and anyway, how quick is quick enough? BMW first, everything else second equal. Unless your idea of fun riding is wide open roads and 280 kph... 

For me, the FA was the right bike in the right place at the right time, but if if was heart over head, I would have had a hard time going past the Blackbird. Then again, if it was heart over head, the plus one would stay at home and I'd be on a Ducati. It may yet happen...

ouch8

Uncle likes this post

Back to top Go down

GSX 1250 FA pros and cons from a new-to-me owner Empty Re: GSX 1250 FA pros and cons from a new-to-me owner

Post  GSX1100G Sun 30 Jan 2022, 1:53 pm

Comparison shopping, always a relative thing.
I can think of about 5 bikes that I would like in the shed but it isn't going to happen.
I wasn't even looking when I saw mine couldn't let it pass & pounced on it. It was a massive bang for buck purchase that I had to make room for.
Is it the best bike available no, am I the best rider no, but we get along . 🙂.
Enjoy

truck and Uncle like this post

Back to top Go down

GSX 1250 FA pros and cons from a new-to-me owner Empty Re: GSX 1250 FA pros and cons from a new-to-me owner

Post  ouch8 Sun 30 Jan 2022, 2:23 pm

Bang for buck its it's hard to beat, for sure.

ouch8

Uncle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheelsagain Mon 31 Jan 2022, 6:33 am

For me the FA only wins on price and ease of maintenance. 
Each of your choices are much more refined and if you included a good example of a VFR1200 it would knock the others out. 
But I’m happy you’re happy.

~ My Photography Blog Page ~
~ My YouTube Channel ~
~ Suzuki Bandits Australia Facebook Page ~
~ Half hr from the hills. Two minutes from the coast ~

~ My Bike ~
 BMW R1250RS
2wheelsagain
2wheelsagain
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU-axKVr_wDILSSK0-8GQ1A

Uncle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Mon 31 Jan 2022, 8:18 am

The new generation electric motorcycles were not included in the comparison

Specifications for the Delta start with 40kW of power delivering 140nm of torque and 54 horsepower, with an acceleration of 0-100km/h of only 4.5-seconds and a 14.2kWh battery providing 150-kilometres of range.

The Alpha supercharges these specs, delivering 60kW of power with 200nm of torque and 80 horsepower. Acceleration of 0-100km/h drops to 3.5-seconds and a 16.7kWh battery provides electric range of 200-kilometres.

200Km probably gets you close to the length of Tasmania. A battery recharge then probably takes the same time as a pee break plus swallowing down a doughnut and coffee

Why would anybody consider driving to Hobart's Kmart store when there is one in Launceston?

Also with the majority of my shopping done online, I find it hard to justify owning any sort of vehicle.

I must do a comparison to taxis or public transport.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  ouch8 Mon 31 Jan 2022, 8:55 am

2wheelsagain wrote:For me the FA only wins on price and ease of maintenance. 
Each of your choices are much more refined and if you included a good example of a VFR1200 it would knock the others out. 
But I’m happy you’re happy.

I looked at the VFR1200, but at the end of the day it seemed like a lot of extra cash for a lot of redundant performance - a good example of the current trend of bikes with stratospheric power and a ton of tech required to make them rideable. All of which I could happily look past if were a bike I was inlcined to gaze at it lovingly in the moonlight, like the Blackbird, but it aint. Neither is the FA, mind you, but it rings my bell a little more than the V-strom 1000 that preceded it

ouch8

Back to top Go down

Post  Stan L Fri 04 Feb 2022, 8:57 am

Way back when, my first choice in secondhand bikes was Blackbird, then GSF 1250 S, BMW 1200, ZZR. The Bandit won.

The good: Bang for buck; comfort (solo riding); Jap reliability; looks.

The bad: Tank is small; mediocre paint quality; bike lacks the exciting 4-cylinder whoosh most other Jap Fours bring on as the revs climb.

Handling: Though springing is fairly soft, you can still rev her through the bends. Increasing preload proved counterproductive.  

Luggage: I tried soft luggage, didn't like it at first, learnt to use it, and now I rave about it. Seems to hold more than hard cases, and costs a lot less. Plus, that rugged look. 

• Note 1: use hairpin-shape loops to shorten the straps, to keep the saddlebags riding high above the exhaust. 

• Note 2: if the bags come with rain covers, that's for a reason. Use them. 
  • Note 3: buy good bungees, not cheapies.

Last edited by Stan L on Fri 04 Feb 2022, 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Stan L

Back to top Go down

Post  glennmcc Thu 03 Mar 2022, 4:25 pm

I have ridden most of those bikes, I haven't ridden the Blackbird, too uncomfortable, I'm fussy about comfort.

I agree with most of what you say.

Some thoughts:

The BMW F800 engine seemed to have no personality, went alright.

The VFR 800 has that intoxicating V4 sound, the ones available in Adelaide when I was looking were not great.

The Sprint GT I rode was really nice, except the throttle seemed to have a lot of lag.

Wasn't even looking at the Suzuki, salesman talked me into riding it, that torque! The price was not worth arguing about, the others would have needed some tougher conversations, including with the minister of war and finance.

2004 CT 110
glennmcc
glennmcc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down