Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road Trip (1): Prepping the Bandit

3 posters

Go down

Road Trip (1): Prepping the Bandit Empty Road Trip (1): Prepping the Bandit

Post  Stan L Mon 13 Jan 2020, 8:15 am

Think of a trip from Newcastle, north of Sydney, to Melbourne. That’ll be 1 200 km each way.

This being South Africa (SA), my 1 200 km journey will be from Johannesburg to Plettenberg Bay.

My native Johannesburg, the Detroit of SA, is a bit of a dump. 1 200 km south, however, lies SA’s equivalent of Melbourne, in the form of beautiful Plettenberg Bay on the aptly-named Garden Route.  

A long story put my riding on ice for a good couple of years. After a wait that seemed never ending, I am at last prepping the Bandit for the trip. Wouldn’t you be pumping with excitement too?

The Bandit, you see, had been out of action until I was finally able to instruct a dealer to collect and resuscitate her. A week later she comes back, in running condition. Taking my first couple of rides after that protracted absence was like learning to walk all over again.   

But the Bandit’s re-entry wasn’t without teething problems. Embarrassingly, the main fairing mounting came loose (!) and the fairing flopped onto the tank, making me the laughing stock on my warmup ride. 

No sooner was that sorted than then the cooling system dumped its contents onto my garage floor. Sticking thermostat.

Next, being neurotic about chains after my Shafties of old, I submit to a compulsion to fit a new chain and sprockets. 

And as if I haven’t spent enough, I then decide the half-faired Bandit is draughty at the speeds we get away with in SA and procure a lower-fairing to pump up the Bandit’s tourer credentials. The SA importer of Powerbronze (UK) products has one in stock. (This pic is ex the Powerbronze catalogue.)  

Road Trip (1): Prepping the Bandit Suzuki-gsf1250s-07-lowers

Although I am by now suffering shooting pains in the hip pocket, the Bandit still lacks luggage. My credit card and I have a committee meeting and resolve to settle for soft panniers, even if this does mean fussy straps. I purchase Nelson Rigg soft panniers like these. 

Road Trip (1): Prepping the Bandit CL-855

The final touches: Balancing, and plugs. Realizing there is a slight front-end shimmy I get the front wheel rebalanced.  While at it, I remember the Bandit’s CR7E plugs don’t seem to last, and get the plugs replaced so I don’t find myself limping along on three cylinders in mid-tour.

For good measure I let the tyres down and reinflate with nitrogen.

I test and retest the Bandit. The front end is in order and the whole bike is running sweetly.

At last, it seems the Bandit is sorted!  

I’m ready to start packing.

I start by collecting plastic bags. Ever left home with your panniers / sailor sack painstakingly packed, then had to fish something out of your luggage at a roadside stop? Your hitherto-neat pack gets scrambled. Rather pack tees in one bag, socks in a second, jocks in a third, et cetera. It’s easier to unpack and repack plastic bags than to repack a pannier with loose kit, plus, your kit stays dry (well, less wet) in a downpour. Take extra bags for laundry. Plus, extra extras so if your mates ask if you happen to have any spare bags you can say yes. (No problem for me; I don’t have mates.)

When it comes to rain gear I still find the least-bad option is the old school plastic rain suit. When putting it on, put a plastic bag over your boot. Easier to get your foot into the rain suit pants.  

Then there’s oil. On a long trip, expect your engine’s oil level to drop. Here in SA, country garages don’t stock motorcycle oil. You have to carry a top-up supply of your preferred brand. WARNING: those 1-litre plastic bottles WILL LEAK, no matter how perfectly sealed they appear to be. Carry your top-up oil, plus an aerosol of chain lube, plus some newsprint and wipes, in a plastic bag within a second plastic bag.

And jokes aside, on the road a loose tummy is anything but funny. If you have a sensitive stomach, carry gippo guts meds.

In Part 2 we’ll discuss… no, you’ll have to wait for it.

Last edited by Stan L on Mon 13 Jan 2020, 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos)

Stan L

Back to top Go down

Road Trip (1): Prepping the Bandit Empty Re: Road Trip (1): Prepping the Bandit

Post  paul Mon 13 Jan 2020, 10:14 am

The Bandit will eat that trip with no worries ..............I would be amazed if it used any oil as well .Enjoy your trip , from another S.A. tripper  Laughing ( South Australia ) Don't forget to pack a puncture kit and mini compressor .......if you take one , you probably wont need it Lol . Sorry ,I got excited and couldn't wait for part 2 .........you may have been packing one anyway .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Stan L Mon 13 Jan 2020, 5:36 pm

Yep, I never leave home without this strapped to the saddle.

Road Trip (1): Prepping the Bandit Prod8500_IMGSET?wid=586&hei=498

You say Bandits don't use oil? I found BMW Boxers do so I assumed all bikes do.

Stan L

Back to top Go down

Post  GSX1100G Mon 13 Jan 2020, 6:33 pm

Spanners, fuses, pliers, wire & elect tape, cable ties, puncture kit & mini-compressor, tyre valves, fuel line & clamps , multi grips & mini vise grips, 2 small bottles of water ( probably a few more items as well ) all in a tank bag that goes from bike to bike to bike. 👍
GSX1100G
GSX1100G

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down