Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

precision punctures

2 posters

Go down

precision punctures   Empty precision punctures

Post  paul Sat 28 Sep 2019, 4:33 pm

So........the other Tuesday afternoon I decided to go for a bit of a ride to blow away a few cobwebs , as all good retirees should .I hadn't gone that far and was just leaving a small town called Clarendon which has a sharp right hand bend over a bridge at the end of the main street . I felt the front move , and the familiar sound of a rock or something " ping " out from under the tyre .............all good , except , why is the rear of my bike bobbing up and down ? Not many places to stop here , but given little choice , I pulled over . There to my surprise was  what appeared to be a socket sticking out of my back tyre ???? . On closer inspection it was seen to be a hex socket.......not only had it managed to be spat out by my front wheel with the Hex shaft toward my rear tyre , it had landed in the tread part of said tyre , leaving it nowhere to escape except into the tyre .It was still holding air so given the unsafe spot I had stopped , I decided to try to get back to the main street . My temporary plug bobbed itself up and down for a short distance never to be seen again ,and the rapid escape of air saw me make it to somewhere safe to pull over . Now I hadn't taken my puncture kit , but fortunately a last minute decision to take my phone proved to be a valuable decision , so I fell on my sword , and rang my wife to bring me the puncture kit ..................probably could have walked home & got it by the time she found it and the mini compressor , but that's another story .LOL . Given the size of the hole , where it was  and the fact the metal bands also managed to now be making a lump in the tyre , I was pleased the snot strip repair kit I had been harboring for more years than I can remember , still did their job . Made it home , & took the wheel to GC's for a new tyre  .............to replace the one which had only done 1,000 KM  Evil or Very Mad with added hole in it . And I didn't even manage to find and score the new hex-socket which had probably made its escape from a tradies  ute as he rounded the bend and then tried to hitch a ride with me .

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

precision punctures   Empty Re: precision punctures

Post  truck Sun 29 Sep 2019, 7:45 am

1000 klm young and retired - Ouch!
I've never had a puncture, never carried a repair kit. I don't know why not cause as a bike rider I think we see a whole lot more than car drivers and it scares me so that I'm forever picking up screws, nails, screw drivers, tools that could do some damage to another road user.
truck
truck

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum