Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie from Cooby Dam (Toowoomba)

5 posters

Go down

Newbie from Cooby Dam (Toowoomba) Empty Newbie from Cooby Dam (Toowoomba)

Post  Jonsue Fri 26 Jul 2019, 7:06 pm

Hi All.  I got my bike license later in life at age 57.  I started out with a Honda XBR500 which is still sitting in the shed under a thick layer of dust if anyone is interested.  I then upgraded to a Yamaha 900 Diversion.  Great bike until a neglectful old lady turned into me and sent me skidding down a main road in the center of Toowoomba.  Fortunately no serious injuries.  Next came the Bandit 2003 model 1200S with only 36000 kms on the clock.  What a Nightmare!  After many bike mechanics, many dollars, many months and no answer to what the problem was I had all but given up and bought an SV650S Suzuki with 25000 kms on the clock.  I then had issues with the running of this bike. Long story short, I found a fantastic mechanic in Toowoomba who really knows his bikes.  He sorted the Bandit out and it now has 112 rear wheel hp and runs like a charm. He also sorted the SV so I then had the tough decision of which bike to keep. I finally decided that I can't let go of the Bandit. Not a great introduction to Biking but I stuck with all the frustrations and feel that it's smooth sailing ahead.  Hope to be riding my Bandit for many years to come.
Cheers Jon Very Happy

Jonsue

Back to top Go down

Newbie from Cooby Dam (Toowoomba) Empty Re: Newbie from Cooby Dam (Toowoomba)

Post  truck Sat 27 Jul 2019, 6:29 pm

Welcome to the Forum Jonsue.
What was the issue that the mechanic sorted to convince you to keep the Bandit?
truck
truck

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonsue Sat 27 Jul 2019, 8:33 pm

Hi, The main problem was that it wouldn't idle and often stalled at traffic lights.  Extreme loss of power at times and unable to start at other times.  After I had given a number of mechanics a go at fixing the problem with no success,  I was having a play with it and ordered a jet kit from America. In the mean time I had one of the spark plugs out and turned the motor over and fuel sprayed out everywhere.  I then realized that the float needles were intermittently sticking.  When the jet kit arrived I installed it.  The jets were bigger than original and it still wasn't running well so I pulled the snorkel out.  I pulled the back out of the original muffler and started drilling holes in the back of the muffler.  Each hole I drilled seemed to improve the problem. Still not perfect so I took it to a recommended mechanic who found some other issues with diaphragms and slides in the carbi.  Once these issues were sorted he put it on a dynotune and completely sorted the problem. Great Bandit, Great Mechanic.

Jonsue

Back to top Go down

Post  paul Sun 28 Jul 2019, 11:33 am

Welcome to the forum . Very Happy

paul
paul

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonsue Sun 28 Jul 2019, 11:45 am

Thanks Paul. I'm looking forward to being able to communicate with other Bandit owners.
Regards,
Jon

Jonsue

Back to top Go down

Post  Chook Sun 28 Jul 2019, 6:24 pm

Welcome Jon, I'm planning another Brissy trip in the next few years to catch up with my brother again, I'll be sure to try and make it out your way this time.
Last time I was in Toowoomba was a brief stop en route to MacKay in 2002, before that a few nights in the mid-late 80's, just have to get another Tassie trip in 1st
Chook
Chook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154520904856/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Ewok1958 Sun 28 Jul 2019, 6:42 pm

Welcome to the forum Jon. Glad you persevered and sorted the problem. It's a bit worrying that qualified mechanics can't diagnose a carby issue and sort out a device that is as old as automotive engines though.  cheers
Ewok1958
Ewok1958

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down