Suzuki Bandits Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Down, Down and Away

+5
madmax
Chook
truck
paul
mtbeerwah
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Down, Down and Away - Page 3 Empty Down, Down and Away

Post  BanditDave Fri 08 Mar 2019, 3:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

Down, Down and Away

BanditDave is on the move.

I got married in Melbourne in 1971 and moved to Launceston in 1972. I was a radio technician with Dept of Civil Aviation.

A year and a bit later, having purchased a house in Perth (Tas), I was promoted in my job and transferred to Hobart.

After 5 years in Hobart, I wanted to explore other parts of Australia, so applied for another promotion and got a job in Canberra.

15 years in Canberra I once again had nomadic urges so quit work and moved to the Gold Coast.

Three years on the Gold Coast was more than enough for me so we bought a tent and some camping gear and went exploring Queensland.

Over a 3-4 week period we got as far as Cooktown and back stopping at every town en-route.

Arriving home it was time to decide where to move to. The two picks were Cairns and Mackay and as Mackay was a bit closer, that was the decision. 15 years later and it was time to move again.

We had travelled extensively throughout Australia; mostly on motorcycle(s) so had quite a lot of knowledge of desirable/undesirable places.
The decision was Hervey Bay.

Twenty five years in Queensland and now a lone traveller I thought it time for another change.

Time for some snow, frost, rain, fog and other fun things in a colder climate.

Even though I had lived in Tasmania previously, I had been working full time and never really got much time to do any serious exploring.

Friends and acquaintances who know I am moving are asking me where I am moving to.

I ask if they know where Geelong is and if they say they do, I say I am moving just south of there.

For anyone ‘struggling’ with this, the answer is Launceston.

With access to the internet and social media it is possible to buy and sell pretty much anything, including houses, so the entire ‘adventure’ can be planned from my study without venturing outdoors

The house is pretty much ready for sale except for a few touch ups with a paint brush and some garden maintenance.

I am also selling all of my furniture to make moving simple. The motorcycle and mobility scooter will also go as they are easily purchased in the future.

I have purchased a covered trailer which along with my small car will carry all of my worldly possessions.

Selling off all of my surplus furniture and other goodies will take a little while, followed with putting the house on the market. I expect a quick sale as I am very negotiable so should be finalised by about spring. My house in Mackay was under contract in 24 hours so yes; I am a pretty negotiable person.

My two dogs will fly from Brisbane to Launceston (too challenging from Hervey Bay so I will drive them to Brisbane) and be collected from Launceston Airport by the boarding kennel staff.

I will drive my car/trailer from Hervey Bay to Melbourne, sail across to Devonport and drive to Launceston. This will take around 3 to 4 days.

Not being familiar with Launceston, I will rent for about 6 months and in that time either build or buy a house.

I figure if I offer to pay the 6 months rent in advance, I can easily get a short term lease. I will do this prior to leaving Hervey Bay so that on arrival in Launceston I can collect my dogs and drive directly to my rental house.

I already have some flanny shirts and tracky dacks so all I need to blend in with the locals is a beanie and some ugg boots. I probably should grow my hair a bit longer but will stop short of dreadlocks.

I am looking forward to my first visit to some snow with my dogs. I can just imagine there reaction to being able to walk on it and lick it. Should be very entertaining.

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Down, Down and Away - Page 3 Empty Re: Down, Down and Away

Post  BanditDave Tue 24 Dec 2019, 8:52 am

Vaughn123 wrote:What suburb did you buy in ? Ex Lonnie boy here , now Hobartian

Legana

Maybe not quite a suburb but at the rate housing is being built I reckon it will be inner suburban shortly  Very Happy

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Vaughn123 Tue 24 Dec 2019, 3:22 pm

Good choice. One of the best suburbs imo

Vaughn123

Back to top Go down

Post  BanditDave Wed 25 Dec 2019, 7:05 pm

Had Christmas lunch with friends in Meander.

As I approached the town I kept listening for banjo music but didn't hear any.

Maybe the local hillbillies had gone elsewhere for the day but I reckon they were still watching for strangers

2015 Suzuki DL650A
2014 Honda CBR650F

2009 Bandit 1250
2006 Bandit 1200
Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
BanditDave
BanditDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down